Swick 5 ETA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Re: Swick 5 ETA?

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
vivi

Post by vivi »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:58 pm
In stock Swick 5 SE
https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-swi ... &epi=75251
wanted PE but after waiting two years I might just order a SE right now haha.
:unicorn
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:04 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:58 pm
In stock Swick 5 SE
https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-swi ... &epi=75251
wanted PE but after waiting two years I might just order a SE right now haha.

812 Days! :spiral-eyes

I sent you a PM yesterday but it doesn't matter much now. I wanted a PlainEdge but couldn't resist and went with the SpyderEdge.
•• Beau
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Well dang, add that to the Shaman!

ETA: Thank you gentlemen! I almost bypassed the notice on this thread thinking it was another “where are these?” post. Schwoo, THEY'RE HERE!!!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Looks like only the Swick5 (Large Hole) SpyderEdge was available in limited quantity at a couple of dealers. Still awaiting the other 3 models.

1. Swick5 Large LC200N PlainEdge Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14P5 (USA) - Reveal 5 (MAY 2020)
  2. Swick5 Large LC200N SpyderEdge Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14S5 (USA) - Reveal 5 (MAY 2020)
  3. Swick6 Small LC200N PlainEdge Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14P6 (USA) - Reveal 5 (MAY 2020)
  4. Swick6 Small LC200N SpyderEdge Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14S6 (USA) - Reveal 5 (MAY 2020)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks for the heads up, bbturbodad. Ordered the SE from DLT.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

welcome news!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
sal

Post by sal »

This has been a very stressful project for sure.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:23 am
This has been a very stressful project for sure.

sal
Thank you for your persistence.
sal

Post by sal »

"Persistence is King".

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

Calvin Coolidge

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A prime example of persistence over genius is Edison over Tesla.

In one area Tesla eventually won over Edison and that was AC over DC but by that time AC was owned by Westinghouse.

From left to right: Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, George Westinghouse.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

no vendor has kept their stock for very long so far.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Three of the four Swick models haven’t even shown up at dealers yet. We know the initial batch to each dealer will be limited. I wonder if the pace of sheath production is slow.

After people have all four Swick models in hand over the next few weeks (I assume) there are some questions:

1. How do they feel in the hand?
  2. Is it too small to get a secure grip?
  3. Preference of hole size if index finger was comfortable for both hole sizes (some subjectivity here)?
  4. Will the pommel work to break glass of the side windows on cars (hit a corner)?
  5. How fast and smooth is the one-handed draw from concealed carry in pocket and on belt?
  6. Will people want a trainer model in a cheap steel without sheath (makes it difficult with two hole sizes)?
It’d be great to see Sal’s responses as well specially on the draw and model preferences.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can't imagine many folks having size issues if the old Swicks fit my grip.

With my hands there isn't enough material poking out of the rear to use it for glass breaking.

Draw is fast and smooth with any sheath that leaves the hole accessible.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:26 am

With my hands there isn't enough material poking out of the rear to use it for glass breaking.

Do you have one of the new Swick5 or Swick6 models with the newly designed sheaths? See Sal’s post on his sheath requirements below.

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Hi all,

Time for an update. Sorry for the delay. It Has been a challenge.

This is a first production run for the Swick, which is the most refined version of the concept that I have been working on for the past 20+ years. While the knife has many useful functions, my primary focus was as a last ditch self defense model for women. The increase in assaults, rapes and murder of the "fair" sex has been going up for decades all over the world. The sheath is a very important part of the model. My requirements are very difficult to achieve all in one sheath.

In my opinion, the most important part of a knife for last ditch self defense is "that you do not drop it". Mike is one of the most skilled MBC practitioner that I've had the good fortune to know and he taught me some techniques for removing a knife from an opponent. "Defanging the snake" is the term and if you are facing someone with some skill in this area, it doesn't matter what knife you have or how sharp it is, if it can be forced out of your hand, it is no longer effective. The Fred Perrin finger ring, is in my opinion the most secure, safest and most functional way to hang onto a blade. That's why I use it in my design. It is very difficult to be dislodged from your hand and and the natural motion of swinging your arm with the knife in you hand requires very little skill. FYI, we pay Fred a royalty for it's use.

1. Neck Knife carry: If it being carried / worn as a neck neck knife, it is anchored to your neck and can be easily deployed. (Though we recommend that all neck knives be worn outside of the shirt ). We make the sheath so it will not twist (one of Mike's important features), then it can be set for right or left hand deployment.

2. Belt carry: If the knife is carried on a belt, again it is anchored on the belt and is easily deployed and the sheath clip can be set for a variety of positions.

3. Pocket carry: Carrying the knife on your neck or in a belt sheath is often visible and many do not want this visibility. In my opinion, purse carry is relatively ineffective for rapid deployment. My concept is to have the knife, in it's sheath in your pocket with your finger in the hole and gripping the knife. The scenario is walking into a parking garage or just walking though a bad neighborhood. In an emergency, deploying the knife with one hand requires that you be able to "pop" off the sheath with just one hand while it's in your pocket. The method we developed for this, we call a "Thumb-Push-Off" or "TPO" which we put on many of our fixed blade models. The knife is not visible so it's not threatening and any person (or even an animal) that might be trying to hurt you does not know you are prepared.

Christina at SheathPro is one of the best sheath makers that I know of and she has been working on developing this sheath for the finished production knives and the rub is making it tight enough to neck carry but loose enough to pop off with one hand. We've had meetings on the sheath development and it is a very thin line to create consistently. We believe we have it down and we should be able to begin delivery in a couple of weeks.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I felt I owed it to you since it is my project.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:35 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:26 am

Do you have one of the new Swick5 or Swick6 models with the newly designed sheaths?

No, but it looks pretty open to me:

Hole is plenty accessible and in the 20 years I've used Spyderco fb's none of them have been overly difficult to draw. I'm sure it works great, just holding out for PE myself.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

a tenacious makes a fine replacement for a persistence i reckon. maybe an ambitious, depending on the situation
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Swick in the wild!
814 days and it's finally here!

•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

:exploding-head :party-face
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:48 pm
Swick in the wild!
814 days and it's finally here!

those scales and sheath look great. looking forward to getting mine!