"Knife People" more price sensitive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: "Knife People" more price sensitive?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't know why people buy over priced knives on ebay. If you're not 'price sensitive' you can always pay too much at BentoBox or some other fine shops that at least sell new and exclusive items.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's very sound advice Matt, especially with the overall dislike of BentoBox. I'd buy from them over a random ebay people or the prices some of the certified sellers sell at. Something for the ebay hawks to consider.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ya I don't like overpaying, but if I was going to I'd be more likely to do it there or KnifeVault, than I ever would ebay. At least with Bento you get what's advertised. Who knows what'll show up and in what condition from ebay.

I've had the best luck selling and buying used knives with mutual followers on instaG. I don't gouge them, they don't gouge me, and stuff is generally as advertised.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Big John

Post by Big John »

I see the Ukraine flag on a thread concerning inflation and there's too much irony for me to post.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Big John wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:19 pm
I see the Ukraine flag on a thread concerning inflation and there's too much irony for me to post.
and yet you did. don't do that please. no politics.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I wouldn't generalize about 'knife people' based on Ebay nor based on one anecdote.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Side note: ebay takes 13% of sale price + tax and shipping...a $300 sale with free shipping nets the seller ~$240 if insured...

I've sold knives that were considerably marked up on eBay and that I had listed elsewhere for much less, I offered the sellers who sent low-ball offers discounts if we transacted off of eBay and they all paid eBay's prices...

eBay = comfort for a lot of people
Last edited by Airlsee on Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like a good deal as much as anyone but by no means would I consider myself as cheap. I could buy a nice used car with the money I've spent on knives that I still own. I'm on ebay quite often because I sell some items I make there. So sometimes (actually today) I'll look at what people are asking for some knives and it's ridiculous. I really have no problem with them asking those kind of prices but it's not something I want bad enough to overpay for it. If someone want to call me tight then I'm ok with it. I have a word for them but I won't repeat it here. I'd say I'm just not stupid. I'm smart enough to know what a reasonable mark up on something is
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Does your friend sell other items that are restricted to being sold at a MAP? Maybe the knife guys think that a seller could be willing to accept less, even though they can't advertise for less because of the MAP.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Anyone particularly interested in something will know more about normal prices so be more sensitive to price. It's not a knife or knife person thing specifically at all.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

phaust wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:00 am
Anyone particularly interested in something will know more about normal prices so be more sensitive to price. It's not a knife or knife person thing specifically at all.
This is the answer.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

For myself, it's a two part answer:

First, having focused on this niche market for over a decade now, I am very familiar with the prices of the knives - both Spyderco specific pricing and industry wide pricing for a given set of design/materials/country of origin. Knowing what the price range should be for a given model, adjusted for condition/rarity/material combo results in the max price I'm willing to pay. Cheap? Yeah, probably. But more likely just knowledgeable about exactly what this knife should cost. No reason to pay higher than that, especially for an eBay knife. And on eBay in particular, I'm looking not to just save a few bucks over a new model from an authorized dealer, but rather I'm looking to score a real deal. I mostly search for used knives, ideally ones that are mis-labeled (although that G10 Manbug is in the opposite direction of what I am looking for). eBay includes risk of getting a fake, getting a mis-represented knife (i.e. condition), minimal after sale support, and does not generally support the dealers who commission the exclusives that I prefer and who also carry the entire line. I factor all of this into the max I'll pay on eBay.

Second, I have so many knives, that there are few model/material combos that make me feel like I should pay anything (within reason) for a particular knife. Probably the last knives where I payed full price without thinking hard about it was the CruCarta and Tree-Rex Shamans (~2019-2020). Since then, I've purchased plenty of knives, but nearly all have been a deal of some variety or a used knife that I was able to revive. With maybe a few instances of Sprints/Hard to Find models that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get in the future (e.g. Native Chief Rex 45 Sprint, TRM Atom).
MNOSD member 0030
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

“Knife people” certainly can be excessive (I’m looking at you and me…) but I don’t think they are any more price-sensitive than other “kinds” of people.

One of modernity’s life-lessons is “Why pay retail?”

Who doesn’t seek a bargain on most things?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I guess what got lost in the conversation, here, is that there are comparison groups. It's knife buyers vs. buyers of other items.

Sure, everybody likes a good deal...and he must be selling his Kershaws and what not at a good deal too, because he sells plenty of them...yes, eBay is about (modest) deals, compared to retail at least. But this is a little bit like an experiment with control groups. In the knife category in particular, in comparison to other categories, he says, people are exceptionally price sensitive. He judges this by (1) the number of unsolicited lowball offers he gets on knives compared to other items in other categories and (2) by lowering the price of a hundred dollar knife a dollar or two, the knife sells, indicating finely-tuned price sensitivity, compared to other categories.

Though as some of you have pointed out, this is just one report...an anecdote. And perhaps it is unique to Kershaw. I was curious if it paralleled anyone else's experience.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I've got some really good deals on ebay.
$142 for a new 52100 Para 3
$130 for a new S30V Shaman
Both back in 2020
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Well, nobody said us "knife people" are sane. haha

The market is crazy right now, I've got two BNIB Shaman exclusives/Sprint Runs I've had listed for days on another site for absolute steals. They're still available, lol.

With inflation (gas/food/etc.) I think the secondary market has really slowed down.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm so glad that I'm not "in the game" of feeling the "need" to acquire every knife, every model variation, steel, special scales, exclusive, etc. If I were, it would totally destroy my enjoyment and appreciation of knives. All my knives are common versions in the lineup, which I'm happy with.

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:11 pm
I'm so glad that I'm not "in the game" of feeling the "need" to acquire every knife, every model variation, steel, special scales, exclusive, etc. If I were, it would totally destroy my enjoyment and appreciation of knives.
Right on, brother.

I’m also glad that I don’t have to stress out whether some “flipper” is going to make twenty bucks by selling me a knife that I really want.

Seriously… who are the REAL profiteers? The kid making a few bucks from knife sales on eBay? The folks at DLT Trading who mark up the wholesale prices? Or those Glesser boys whose chefs serve them an Iranian caviar snack every morning as they’re whisked off to the office in the company EC155?

I don’t understand the hating directed at those who carry nicer knives, sell nicer knives, or have the means to purchase nicer knives… Wait… that’s a lie. I do have a clue as to why people are haters. I’m no theologian, but if I recall correctly, there was a guy with a beard, a burning bush, some tablets, and an admonition against covetousness. Whether you buy into that legend or not, it seems like sound advice.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Every so often a new thread is started on here, complaining about MAP pricing, along with arguments about how the prices should be lower because X brand sells a comparable model for $50 less. It's not surprising that an ebay seller would run into some unhappy people. The fees that were mentioned probably don't help. First world problems.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

When I’m looking at knives listed on eBay I’m generally looking for good deals on used items. Any AFI will know the difference between a good deal on a good condition used item and a highball list price on an item that is in much worse condition than the description suggests.

I see a lot of sellers listing knives as “like new” with snapped tips, chipped blades, rust spots, etc. If I know it’s going to take me two hours of tinkering to bring it back to to life, then I’m factoring that into my offer and I will let the seller know.

Often sellers don’t recognize this and/or think that the knife still retains 100% (or more) of its value despite the obvious blemishes. Most of the time they tell me I’m crazy and quote me the list price of a brand new one. Sometimes I can get a bargain on a knife that I can work on for a while and make it my own that way.

I have gotten some decent value out of eBay auctions on used Spydies and SAKs, but there needs to be mutual agreement about the true value of the item. The best way to start the conversation is to ask for some additional pictures and go from there. Sometimes people just don’t know any better, especially if they don’t do their own maintenance.