Spyderco Threadlocker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bornfreematt

Spyderco Threadlocker

Post by bornfreematt »

Does Spyderco use Loctite 242 or Loctite 243 on their knives during assembly?

Breakaway torque does appear to be significantly higher with the 243 formula, according to the Loctite.

This worries me a bit because I don't want to make removing the blue threadlock any harder than it was when the knife was new.

Just want to make sure I get the right stuff. I was curious what Spyderco uses. If that info isn't public...what do you guys use?
Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Cryo 2 G10
Case XX
Accutron

Re: Spyderco Threadlocker

Post by Accutron »

The stuff Spyderco uses at the factory is not the best option. Forget the Loctite anaerobic crap, get some Vibra-Tite VC-3 and quit worrying about it.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Loctite stick (I believe 248). No run, no worries about getting screws out.

Have a bottle of vibratite gel to try next since my stick is well over its March 2021 expiration date. Don't know if that really makes a difference but, whatever.

Tried VC-3. Never worked for me. Apply, let dry 30 minutes, install, and without fail screws back out over time. Not worth the hassle imo.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bornfreematt

Post by bornfreematt »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:17 am
The stuff Spyderco uses at the factory is not the best option. Forget the Loctite anaerobic crap, get some Vibra-Tite VC-3 and quit worrying about it.
Thanks for your contribution, but that Vibra stuff isn't a standard in at least (any) of the videos or articles I've seen from knife owners. I figure if the wise folks at Spyderco use a certain formula, they do so for a good reason. Because it works best for their knives. I'm certain Spyderco uses Loctite blue now. It's just down to whether they use the 242/243 liquid or the 248 stick.
Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Cryo 2 G10
Case XX
Matus

Post by Matus »

The Loctite blue stick is pretty much perfect. Also easy to dose and apply.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use the 242 liquid and it’s never failed me. Just clean threads with acetone, dab 242 on male threads, assemble, and adjust. Set aside for a few hours to cure and you’re done.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

The first thing that came to mind was "Spyderco Forum Moderators" lol
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I suspect what Spyderco actually uses is an industrial product rather than commercial. They do include Loctite Blue liquid threadlocker with pocket clip screws.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I hate to appear disagreeable with any of my good Brethren here at Spyderville. But I've never ever used any Lock Tite or any other thread sealant products with factory screws on any Spyderco folders I've ever owned. I find that by using a good tightening regimen and applying equal pressure to each screw it's been extremely rare for me to lose any screws.

Also when ever I get a new blade in a trade or buy one factory new I check all the screws first time around. I've had a few people tell me that Lock Tite and similar products has caused them more problems than anything else on these really small screws. But I'm all ears if there is something I'm missing or overlooking.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The only models I find it necessary to apply thread lock is on the Seki models. The pivot screw and sometimes lock bar screw loosen up with use.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005