Endura zdp-189 cut heavy duty scouring pad with factory & 15dps edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bluntcut

Endura zdp-189 cut heavy duty scouring pad with factory & 15dps edges

Post by bluntcut »

I need a control/reference data point of Spyderco zdp-189 knife whittles elk antler and cuts heavy scouring pad.

Inches of heavy duty scouring pad cut by Spyderco zdp-189:
Factory edge: 18"
15dps and thinned BET: 27"

https://youtu.be/QJbhiBOC1_8
p_atrick

Re: Endura zdp-189 cut heavy duty scouring pad with factory & 15dps edges

Post by p_atrick »

Funny, this is one of those steels that has developed a reputation online. Personally, I was not interested in it due to stuff I read and watched online. But then you seen videos like this and it makes you question the knowledge you thought to be true. Of course, if I bought every steel to verify things for myself, I’d be broke.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I would love to see the test repeated on K390 and Maxamet.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Thanks for posting, I've watched several of your tests on your own knives but this is the first I've seen on a Spyderco!
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

If you don't mind to elaborate, dislike & like about Spyderco zdp-189 knives.

This knife passed whittle elk antler tip at 15dps is very respectable/good, since apex must has sufficient strength & toughness to do so.

Cutting heavy duty scouring pad (which contains ~600 grit Aluminum Oxide = same class of grit in alumina sharpening stone) will quickly dull most edges. This knife cut 27" shown it has good wear resistance characteristic. btw - I bought "YoleShy 40 PCS Scouring Pad" on Amzn.
p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:30 pm
Funny, this is one of those steels that has developed a reputation online. Personally, I was not interested in it due to stuff I read and watched online. But then you seen videos like this and it makes you question the knowledge you thought to be true. Of course, if I bought every steel to verify things for myself, I’d be broke.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

I've no plan on testing Spyderco K390 nor Maxamet however I would test *as received* either or both if someone send it/them to me. From existing data on Spyderco K390 & Maxamet, I guess both would perform better than zdp-189.
Joshua J. wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:50 pm
I would love to see the test repeated on K390 and Maxamet.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Thanks. I will sequence (re ht) this blade and re-test.
cholla_remover wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:54 am
Thanks for posting, I've watched several of your tests on your own knives but this is the first I've seen on a Spyderco!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

bluntcut wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:24 am
If you don't mind to elaborate, dislike & like about Spyderco zdp-189 knives...

I have never owned a ZDP knife so I am not making these claims myself. However, I have heard/seen people talk about the pitting and chipping. Then you hear about how hard it is to sharpen. Basically, I stick to my easy to use/sharpen steels and let others form opinions about the more exotic stuff for me. Then I see a video like yours and realize that ZDP is not so easily categorized. Basically, I should pare down the list of people I listen to and expand my sphere of experience. Otherwise, I'll be misinformed. Thanks for the video; it helps keep things in perspective.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:46 am
I have never owned a ZDP knife so I am not making these claims myself. However, I have heard/seen people talk about the pitting and chipping. Then you hear about how hard it is to sharpen. Basically, I stick to my easy to use/sharpen steels and let others form opinions about the more exotic stuff for me. Then I see a video like yours and realize that ZDP is not so easily categorized. Basically, I should pare down the list of people I listen to and expand my sphere of experience. Otherwise, I'll be misinformed. Thanks for the video; it helps keep things in perspective.
Back in 2007-2009, I bought a handful of Spyderco zdp-189, lost 1 gifted away 4. iirc, blades seem higher hrc. I will hrc test this blade in a few days. zdp-189 is semi-stainless so pitting can occurs. Also when edge/apex yielded at 5+um in size/height, often in chipping/fracture failure mode. This blade at 20dps micro-chipped ~20um height when I impact slice beef rib bone (
umm too harsh).

There are quite many interesting steels out there to gain fun & experience with. To compare my research result, I use this chart from Larrin (knifesteelnerds.com) as reference (somewhat representative of) for production knives: https://i2.wp.com/knifesteelnerds.com/w ... =754&ssl=1
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

I just finished re-test (whittle elk antler tip and cut scouring pad) d2 & s60v.

Cut scouring pad test result (my R&D blades):

66.5rc D2 14dps: 39"
65rc S60V 12dps: 54"
66rc M2 10dps: 36"
66.5rc T-15 9dps: 100"
60rc 1095 11dps: 12-15" *will re-test it

to be re-test
65.5rc m398, 66.5rc s125v
vivi

Post by vivi »

what grit finish are you giving the knives?
:unicorn
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Sharpened using Edgepro and cheap 2"x6" 600 grit diamond plate (somewhat dulled)
vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:47 am
what grit finish are you giving the knives?
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Josh Crutchley (a member here) lend me a Spyderco Maxamet knife to test. Thanks much!

Result: at 13dps, it cuts 33" of heavy duty scouring pad.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

bluntcut wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:48 pm
Josh Crutchley (a member here) lend me a Spyderco Maxamet knife to test. Thanks much!

You're welcome, would love to see Maxamet in the hands of custom makers like yourself. Would also like to see more models available in it from Spyderco.

Out of curiosity what made you choose scouring pads? In the past I've seen you use sand paper why the change? Was it just cost or are the results more consistent?
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:15 pm
bluntcut wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:48 pm

You're welcome, would love to see Maxamet in the hands of custom makers like yourself. Would also like to see more models available in it from Spyderco.

Out of curiosity what made you choose scouring pads? In the past I've seen you use sand paper why the change? Was it just cost or are the results more consistent?
This spyderco maxamet performed very well -- relative to general production knives -- satisfaction should be high for most users. z-max is quite similar to maxamet and it's available for in raw form for purchase. Sourcing for maxamet is possible in sheets quantity. Thanks for willing/thinking about other Spyderco knives for testing... Anyone can test cut scouring pad and whittle elk antler tip, and precision isn't that important either since these 2 tests together is quite good at assessing edge performance.

Sand paper has high density of abrasive, lead to results fall in narrow band = low quality of delineation among tested steels.

Sand is about 100% SiO2 (~64rc) abrasive but inconsistent in size + cutting pressure = narrow quantitative certainty/confident (i.e. low signal to noise ratio due to wide error margin).

Scouring pad has good abrasive density; wedging; thickness; etc.. to quickly gather result in 0-200 inches cut range, provide excellent qualitative (big picture) performance and repeatable/accurate-enough quantitative performance.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wrong thread.