Is there any interest in a THIN tool steel knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Is there any interest in a THIN tool steel knife?

Post by twinboysdad »

A thin smallish fixed blade in tool steel would appeal to me
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:51 pm
The fact that the BBB collab is being produced at the Golden factory is interesting...have they put out any really thin grinds before?

I think that the S110V UKPK is the thinnest ground PE Golden blade I have had...and it's .0185 BTE.

The SE UKPK Salt is around .011 BTE in the serrations....
Great point. I've never even though about that.

The thinnest Golden model I have is also .0185", a cf/s90v Yojumbo.

I have complete faith in Spyderco, though. If they're using his HT protocol, I'm sure they're gonna do it justice.

That leads me to another question. What is the thinnest BTE PE Spyderco? Thinnest I've found is the Hundred Pacer at .0125".
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I’d like to see a Cento 3/4 in a different steel. Mainly just the chance of a different color FRN with that Paladium bug. Burgundy, yum :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:37 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:14 pm
👆 I would like to see more Hollow Grinds to achieve this.
You echo the sentiments of many a knife aficionado who prefers slicey performance. Massive excitement when Sal initially announced a Performance Delica K390 high hollow from 2.5mm stock. Utter disappointment when he later announced that the mfr would not do HHG in K390. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with HHG VG10, but for me it very much lacks the instant purchase appeal of the Performance Delica Sal had initially envisioned. Doesn't have to be a Delica, but I would very much like to see Spyderco move in this direction if only for a small segment of their catalogue. It is not a niche market but a full blown category in the industry. If Buck can hollow grind carbide enriched steels, why can't Spyderco? There must be some logistical issue that they can't address in the short term. If only............. :worried
I'm still very excited for the thinner ground Delica, but yes it was a bummer that K390 couldn't be used.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

Thin M4

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:36 pm
A thin smallish fixed blade in tool steel would appeal to me
You and me both twins! I’ve said numerous times, I’d pay good money for a small fixed blade with say 0.062” blade stock along the lines of an old Gerber Pixie.

Any of the premium carbon steels would do I reckon, but given a choice I’d like ZDP-189 and from where I’m standing I reckon there’s definitely a hole in the market.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Was the Pixie blade stock really that thin?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can remember all the way back to the late 90s when Spyderco took their Catcherman model which at that time they were using AUS-8 blade steel on that model. I think it was around 1999-2000 when they switched over to the new Japanese steel MBS-26. For whatever reason the MBS-26 models were considerably thinner.

Those thinner MBS-26 blades did seem to perform somewhat better. However at that point they quit making the Catcherman in full SE which always confused me. So I'm still confused at why they made that change at that time?

There are certainly some advantages to thinner blades. However I'm not sure how most tool steels would perform with a thinner blade.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:36 am
Was the Pixie blade stock really that thin?
Hey 11, it may in fact have been thinner. I actually have a Pixie I was gifted after I lost the one I had from the 80’s. It’s unused with a chrome plated handle in a presentation box and I can’t bring myself to use it.

I have a well used Miming also which has the same blade but longer handle. I’ll see if I can dig them up and let you know.

Edit: Blade thickness 1.06mm or 0.042”.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

If I can find mine I'll measure it with my el cheapo crappy micrometer. It's the chrome handled one, too.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:39 am
If I can find mine I'll measure it with my el cheapo crappy micrometer. It's the chrome handled one, too.
This one’s immaculate, as new without a blemish on the chrome or blade. My old one had the Armour Hide scales which had worn away from use and saltwater to bare aluminium.

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

If a hollow grind counts they yojimbo 2 is pretty thin behind the edge! For the rest of the matter i am with bloke on this one. There is nothing in this world my OG manix , Tuff , chinook 2 , and others i have can not slice or cut as any thinner blade it all depends on how good you can sharpen...

But if you want such a thin toolsteel knife i am hoping you will get it. :beaming-face
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:47 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:39 am
This one’s immaculate, as new without a blemish on the chrome or blade. My old one had the Armour Hide scales which had worn away from use and saltwater to bare aluminium.

Sweet! What makes it even sweeter than more modern knives is all the treasured memories tied to it as a youngster.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:40 pm
I´d certainly be interested!

First things that comes to ,my mind would be a Chaparral in a tool steel. XHP is great, but still a stainless steel by definition as far as I know. A Chap in REX 45 would be amazing, and Sal has mentioned that the FRN version would offer the opportunity of variants.
I’m late to this thread, and just having read through the HHG Shaman thread, this :up-index-finger was my first thought as well. How about a tool steel Chaparral with thicker, contoured micarta scales?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as liking the idea of the UKPK. With prices the way they are for everything these days, the UKPK would be a great option to keep it cheap...and not to mention, already an ergonomic masterpiece that is legal everywhere!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Gimme a cruwear FRN chap please.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thin blade stock is not the way to thin cutting edge - not with a flat grind. It's a matter of blade (cutting edge) stability. My Chaparral has baiscally the same thickness behind the edge as most other Spydercos I have used. It cuts OK.

So I am not really into getting an extra thin stock blade as with a thickness behind the edge of around 0.02" one is going to see only as much improved cutting (drag) going from 3mm down to 2mm in most matarials.

With a slight convex one can get wonderfully thin cutting edge AND a thin blade stock, but we are not going to see a Spyderco with such a grind anytime soon as a grind like that is going to be much harder to do by a machine and most users get completely confused as how to sharpen them (tip - as any other knives and from time to time you go a little higher if the edge thickness starts to grow more than you like).

The knives where I am aware of some kind of convex grinds are all more-less done by hand (Bark River Knives, Some TOPS models, DBK Bushcraft and their special version of the TRC Apocalypse knives - as an example).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:47 pm
The knives where I am aware of some kind of convex grinds are all more-less done by hand (Bark River Knives, Some TOPS models, DBK Bushcraft and their special version of the TRC Apocalypse knives - as an example).
I won’t argue with your reasoning, I’m don’t have that level of experience, but anecdotally from my own experience, thin bladestocks seem to slice better on average.
And to add, just about, if not all, Fällkniven knives are convex and Chris Reeve, though the CRK convex isn’t very well executed in my limited experience with one small sebenza.
My DBK Bushcrafter OTOH was silly sharp from the box, so I have no doubt a human was involved in that process :)
Matus

Post by Matus »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:11 pm
I won’t argue with your reasoning, I’m don’t have that level of experience, but anecdotally from my own experience, thin bladestocks seem to slice better on average.
And to add, just about, if not all, Fällkniven knives are convex and Chris Reeve, though the CRK convex isn’t very well executed in my limited experience with one small sebenza.
My DBK Bushcrafter OTOH was silly sharp from the box, so I have no doubt a human was involved in that process :)
I can only agree.

And I envy you the DBK Bushcrafter :) such a cool knife. I just don't really have use for one. But they really did a great job with it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:11 pm
You're not alone. As much as I love all 4 of my CRK's...it's certainly NOT because of the factory grind. I've found all of them to cut like a turd out of the box. After a little love and a reprofile, their top notch! (Zaan is next to get ground down when I find the time)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick