Why have multiple of same knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: Why have multiple of same knife.

Post by legOFwhat? »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:10 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 am
P.S, Sal has this magic power that makes you want to try all the knives he makes! Some say he's an alien :zany
When I joined this Forum in 2016 I only had 10 pocket knives......
Stunning collection! Yeah, I only had a few knives before joining, then caught the bug. Forumites work their magic too or else that's just part of Sal's spell!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have two Chaparrals, two Native Chiefs, three Millies, five Natives, two of each Victorinox Spirits, Explorers, Ramblers, Cadets and Pioneers, and last but not least, two Bark River Ultra Lite Bushcrafters. I just love them and I wanna have backups. Also some have serrated blades, different steels, and customized scales.

I also have two identical Seiko watches, keeping them on different straps for different occasions. And the list goes on, shoes, pants, hats, bags, glasses.. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 am
A weird people are we, for sure. Like others, different steels and handle materials really speaks to me. I really love the MuleTeam project and making handles for them. At one time I had 7 PD#1's and 6 PMA11's plus other steels. My wife would ask me "how many of that knife do you need?" and my response is always one or two more :winking-tongue

P.S, Sal has this magic power that makes you want to try all the knives he makes! Some say he's an alien :zany
Those handles are beautiful. Especially the red one.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I generally don’t, but there are exemptions as well as grey areas. Never duplicates though, just variations at best (or worst..).
The first model I gathered more than one of was quite ironically the P3. I was so disappointed when I got my first one, but Spyderco and their partners are quite genius, so when Cutlery Shoppe sold one in orange G10 and CTS-XHP, I just had to have another one. Makes no sense, but I’ve later come to enjoy the model a bit more, despite its quirks.

The next model to enter multiples status was somewhat more deliberate. I needed some time to discover the greatness of the Dragonfly, so it took a while from my first one to getting a second one, but it has since quickly accumulated to four; regular FRN/VG10, Salt SE, Knife Center Pakkawood/HAP40 and K390 wharncliffe. Same wonderful platform, very different knives.

When the new Seki salts were released in FFG LC200N with green handle color, I got a “backup” for my H1 Salt 2. It’s the knife I have in my SAR kit, so every ounce counts. I guess I intended to sell the old H1, but it may be to beat. I think it has more value as a backup than a sales object, so it’s likely I keep it anyway. I may also add a K390 wharncliffe Delica at some point. Different name, but technically the same platform, and again; a very different knife.

The last one on my multiples list is almost as weird as the P3 story. I have a strange relationship with the Native 5. It’s not really a good ergonomic match to my hand. Slightly too big using the choil and slightly too small behind the choil. It still is a very well designed backlock that performs very well in use and often find its way into my pocket. With this realization, though hesitant, I decided to add the CF/S90V N5 as an alternative to my N5 salt.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I have two enduras in different steels (k390 and 20cv) and a pacific salt 2. The 20cv is primarily for EDC/food prep and is kept at 15 degrees per side, I use the K390 as a general workhorse when camping it rocks a 17-80 degree edge which is better for tasks that might chip a thinner edge, and it makes feathers for camp fires better. The LC200N pac salt is a good worry free knife, I use it on meat then chuck it in s bucket of sanitizer and rinse it out and forget about it. May seem dumb but different edges and materials on different knives will give you different experienced with the same design, at least in my experience.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:15 am
If you turn into a steel nerd...you'll understand!

Exactly. You pick the knife model and the steel for the particular task. Some tasks you want a different steel but you want the same knife
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Backups. Or to have one in a funky steel.

For sure when the watu gets a sprint and/or gets disco’d I’ll snatch up a few more. As an example.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Big John

Post by Big John »

I lose knives. I currently can't find half of my Spyderco knives. If I like a model, I need to have 2. If I like it a lot, I'll try different steels with that model.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 am
I'm just curious for those of you who collect multiple knifes and even some of the same model, why you like to do that. And do you actually use them all. ...

To your second question: I do use all of my Spydies and each single one for pretty much everything I´d generally use a folder for.
No "babying", comparing different options in real use (also steels, though I am really not an expert in this capacity) is a huge part of the enjoyment for me.

Two for me funny pics, cause they are pretty old, and the knives looked so shiny and new back then (especially the blades... :grin-sweat )
These are from a time when I wanted to have "easy to sharpen" vs "high edge retention" pairs of my favorite folders (even started a thread about this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84201)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own multiples of several models...Delica, Endura, SS Police, SS Harpy, Tasman Salt, Dragonfly, Pac Salt, etc., etc.

But oddly enough, one of my all-time favorite, and one of my most-carried and used Spydercos, is my G10 DLC Manix 2; yet I have never felt a need or a desire to buy another Manix 2, nor to ever acquire a LWT version.

Jim
cjk

Post by cjk »

While I may joke in good faith about folks having 37 PM2s, they're simply not the same.

Would one critique one's significant other for having 37 pairs of earrings? I wouldn't because I don't wanna die. There's all these knives close at hand. :winking-tongue

I am guilty of having bought exact duplicates of three particular knives because I like them a lot and tend to sometimes lose pocket knives.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:42 am
Would one critique one's significant other for having 37 pairs of earrings? I wouldn't because I don't wanna die.
but i bet your significant other thinks all your knives are the same. i know mine does. even my kids do, and that's a tough one because i have to teach them about fiscal responsibility and being content at the same time as showing them my cool new knife that will probably sit in a case most days.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Mostly just because I can...but also because there's a new color, a new size, a new steel to try. Is the functionality incredibly different?....No...but sometimes it's just fun.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Backups for models which are hard to come by.
I have several knives NIB in case one gets lost or damaged beyond repair.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Have a few stragglers in garage . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

To properly set up the table when you've got guests!
MNOSD member 0011
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:37 am
Image Have a few stragglers in garage . MG2
🤯
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow, nice!