C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Blerv »

Nice to hear from you too JD! I’m trying to pop in here more often.

That’s great, David! This just seems a great model to benefit from tip up carry. Regardless of the zip tie the handle curve just seems more comfortable.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

From Reveal 10:

“Designed by world-renowned firearms expert Massad Ayoob and originally introduced in 2001, the Massad Ayoob folding knife featured
a distinctive negative angle between its blade and handle. This aligns the blade with the bones of the forearm to ensure a more direct transfer of force during thrusting and cutting motions and shortens the blade’s opening arc. This long-awaited Sprint Run expression of Ayoob’s design features a blade crafted from CPM CRU-WEAR®—a specially formulated air-hardening tool steel renowned for its edge holding and toughness. Its handle features full, skeletonized stainless steel liners, a sturdy back lock mechanism, distinctive gray peel-ply-textured G-10 scales, and a black-coated four-position pocket clip that provides a choice of left or right-side tip-up or tip-down carry.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:35 pm
From Reveal 10:

“Designed by world-renowned firearms expert Massad Ayoob and originally introduced in 2001, the Massad Ayoob folding knife featured
a distinctive negative angle between its blade and handle. This aligns the blade with the bones of the forearm to ensure a more direct transfer of force during thrusting and cutting motions and shortens the blade’s opening arc. This long-awaited Sprint Run expression of Ayoob’s design features a blade crafted from CPM CRU-WEAR®—a specially formulated air-hardening tool steel renowned for its edge holding and toughness. Its handle features full, skeletonized stainless steel liners, a sturdy back lock mechanism, distinctive gray peel-ply-textured G-10 scales, and a black-coated four-position pocket clip that provides a choice of left or right-side tip-up or tip-down carry.

Another fine example of something being hidden in plain sight. And I'm glad to get that information on the Tip Up, Tip Down option is affirmed. The "Tip UP,Tip Down" option just isn't that big of a deal to me. I've had both and had good results with both. But for the guys who really like one option or the other I'm so glad they make it available for them.

The ergos of the C-60 are so perfect to me that it would be hard to alter that folder to where I didn't like it any longer. Which is why I would love to see Mr. Massad Ayoob go back to the drawing board and do another folder and another fixed blade at some point.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks RamZar!

I just stumbled upon the release. My initial inquiry was based on prereleased photos on knife sale sites and sometimes those are a bit different than the actual product.

The description though is perfect confirmation. I think for this knife the carry options will be a game changer.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

My only remaining question is the grind. Sabre or hollow?
benben

Post by benben »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:19 pm
My only remaining question is the grind. Sabre or hollow?

Variations

The C60 Massad Ayoob is made in Seki-City, Japan and has a:
Back Lock.
SKU Handle Edge(s) Steel From/To MSRP Note Number made Grind Clip Clip positions Collectors club
C60P Black Almite coated Aluminum PE VG-10 2001-2002 165.95$ (2001) N/A Hollow Metal LH/RH, TD
C60S Black Almite coated Aluminum SE VG-10 2001-2002 165.95$ (2001) N/A Hollow Metal LH/RH, TD
C60G Black G-10 PE VG-10 2011 249.95$ (2011) Sprint Run N/A Hollow Black Metal LH/RH, TD
C60GPGY GreyG-10 PE Cru-Wear 2022 $300.00 (2022) Sprint Run N/A Sabre grind Black hourglass 4-way LH/RH, TD/TU
C60GSGY GreyG-10 SE Cru-Wear 2022 $300.00 (2022) Sprint Run N/A Sabre grind Black hourglass 4-way LH/RH, TD/TU
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it seems odd that they would change the grind for a sprint. are we sure it's not hollow?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:16 am
Blerv wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:53 am
I’ve see a number of sites listing a PE and SE as “coming soon” with prototype photos.

Can someone confirm if this will have a 4-way clip?? If this is true it might a fantastic one to Ziptie (even if just for nostalgia).
My best friend tried to order two of them in advance and they would not take his order. He told them that he didn't have a problem with paying for it in advance but yet they wouldn't take his order at all. I just don't understand that at all :thinking
It's probably highly discouraged to do pre-orders. From the dealers I've talked to, there can be minimal communication when and how much of an order you'll get. They give you a time frame to order, but then you're just waiting to see what shows up. So if BHQ orders 25 serrated, 50 PE, and they get 10 serrated, 40 plain edge, and they've sold pre-orders for 20 serrated, then people would be real pissed about their order not getting filled. Would also reflect poorly on Spyderco. If I had to bet, the dealers only take pre-orders if they're guaranteed a minimum number, then they can pre-sale up to that number.

For what it's worth, I didn't see any pre-sales on the major online dealers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love how the clip still has a gold Bug. Very classy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
WRB

Post by WRB »

The Spyderco page for the sprint used to say hollow grind unless I was seeing things, now it says sabre. My interest has fallen sharply if this is the case.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Maybe it would about the time someone from Spyderco would comment on this. I am also assuming that the knife has a hollow grind and I would be disappointed if it is a flat wide bevel grind.

... sal?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:54 am
I love how the clip still has a gold Bug. Very classy.
With the pocket clip being one of the smaller features on any great Spyderco model I will say that I have to 100% agree with you on that statement. I've even bought 4 extra of that particular clip from SFO and used them on various user models I've had over the years. Yeah I really like that particular clip myself and it's certainly a handsome clip to be sure.

The Brown G-10 handle on this new C-60 is different and will probably take me a while to get accustomed to it because I've had nothing but black handles on all the previous C-60 models I've owned over the years. But that doesn't deviate from the fact that the C-60 is just a handsome model any way you look at it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

WRB wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:56 am
The Spyderco page for the sprint used to say hollow grind unless I was seeing things, now it says sabre. My interest has fallen sharply if this is the case.
I must admit that if they have changed the "grind" on the C-60 Sprint Run I have to ask WHY!!!???? Unless for some unbeknownst reason Spyderco thinks that a different grind on that particular model would be an improvement.

All my other C-60 models performed very well with the original grind it had previously.

It won't be a game changer for me by any means but it does make you wonder why the change. That is a head scratcher to be sure.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If the grind changed, it might be because the steel changed.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Personally a fan of saber grind here. Patiently waiting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:11 pm
Please share with us the advantages you get from a "sabre grind" blade? And how can it be advantageous over a "hollow grind"
blade? I always enjoyed using my older C-60 Ayoob folders that all have hollow grind blades and I thought they performed very well. But if a "sabre grind" performs better then please share with us why those types of knife blades perform so well?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I expect it’s just a naming convention. The old one was HG so I wouldn’t expect this to be different.

In general though, a flat primary bevel instead of a concave one using grinding wheels. More material for lateral support.

Frankly if so just more justification for an aftermarket regrind. Love me a thin FFG SE…

Edit: hmm maybe due to the SE? Not that HG isn’t possible with teeth but it maybe the Seki marker just prefers to have the extra material to cut into? I don’t care really. It’s going to be great!
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:25 pm
jwbnyc wrote:
Please share with us the advantages you get from a "sabre grind" blade? And how can it be advantageous over a "hollow grind"
blade? I always enjoyed using my older C-60 Ayoob folders that all have hollow grind blades and I thought they performed very well. But if a "sabre grind" performs better then please share with us why those types of knife blades perform so well?
Sight down a saber grind blade from the tip. It’s almost a diamond geometry. I think it provides extra strength to the blade. I haven’t noticed any great loss in cutting ability either.

You may feel differently.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:25 pm
jwbnyc wrote:
Sight down a saber grind blade from the tip. It’s almost a diamond geometry. I think it provides extra strength to the blade. I haven’t noticed any great loss in cutting ability either.

You may feel differently.
I guess all this worry over which grind type is essentially over nothing. Because if you sharpen any edge correctly the actual "Grind" of the blade is secondary.

However it is interesting to note that most "Straight Razors" ( those awesome razors that Barbers use) have a "hollow grind". I've often wondered why at times. I'm sure there is a valid reason but I bet it would have to do with maintenance than overall function. But that's just a wild guess on my part. But the C-60 Ayoob is one Spyderco knife with a Hollow Grind that I've always had the best performance with.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Geometry counts so theoretically percentage wise the impact of hollowing a sabre is more significant than a high hollow on a tall full flat IMHO. That's my unmitigated and unsubstantiated guess and I'm sticking to it. :woozy