The Completely Unnecessary Military Appreciation Thread!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: The Completely Unnecessary Military Appreciation Thread!

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:51 pm
I am still searching for pics of my Ziricote wood scales Millie (don't have that knife anymore :disappointed ) - don't recall where I stored those.. :neutral
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 am
REALLY crappy pics of my Military with Zirikote wood scales(done by Cuscadi) , but since I am trying to sell it at the moment I thought I´d post the pics here before it is eventually gone

Found these pics from your post above. Beautiful scales!

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They are. I don't know that I would love wood scales, but they make the knife look great.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:51 pm
I am still searching for pics of my Ziricote wood scales Millie (don't have that knife anymore :disappointed ) - don't recall where I stored those.. :neutral
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 am
REALLY crappy pics of my Military with Zirikote wood scales(done by Cuscadi) , but since I am trying to sell it at the moment I thought I´d post the pics here before it is eventually gone

Found these pics from your post above. Beautiful scales!

Thanks for digging out that old photos I made of my Millie!! :smlling-eyes

... the pics don´t do the scales right though - despite this is actually not my favorite wood for scales , they still look much better in "real life". I had to make pics quickly back then just for selling the knife (which I managed to do eventually and actually really regret these days!! :-|| ) - I have better ones stored somewhere
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sorry wrong linerlock thread.

In all seriousness, the linerlock on the Millie is really, really good. Your hand is in such a natural position when closing. If you are using your knife a lot like in and out of the pocket, I would almost say I prefer it over other locks as a work knife. Sad to see it go. Tried it at Blade Show and liked it so much that I almost bought it over my beloved Native Chief. Almost. It is so good. And light! It feels so much lighter than I would have expected.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:52 pm

In all seriousness, the linerlock on the Millie is really, really good. Your hand is in such a natural position when closing. If you are using your knife a lot like in and out of the pocket, I would almost say I prefer it over other locks as a work knife. Sad to see it go. Tried it at Blade Show and liked it so much that I almost bought it over my beloved Native Chief. Almost. It is so good. And light! It feels so much lighter than I would have expected.
That's pretty much the whole point of the Military. A large, yet light knife that can be opened, used and closed even with gloves on. It was made to work hard without weighing you down. I love the Chief, but it isn't what I reach for at work.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:24 am
JSumm wrote:

That's pretty much the whole point of the Military. A large, yet light knife that can be opened, used and closed even with gloves on. It was made to work hard without weighing you down. I love the Chief, but it isn't what I reach for at work.
Yes, as discussed in other threads: Obviously there are not too few who feel that changing the locktype on the Millie is not just "marginal".

Not the end of the world of course, but takes away a part many particularly liked on the Millie in real use.

Not entirely sure why they changed to a comp.lock tbh.
Eric mentions in a vid that it would add strength, which is certainly true.
But then: Who did ever feel the Millie linerlock would be too weak? :thinking
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:

After you move back home and transfer from sleeping on the trampoline to the house , put the Military on your next to get list :winking-tongue Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My work beater. You can even see the wear on the liner lock from unlocking the knife so much.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:55 pm
:cheap-sunglasses
vivi

Post by vivi »

u.w.

Post by u.w. »

wow - my first "double tap"...

u.w.
Last edited by u.w. on Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:10 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:24 am
JSumm wrote:

Yes, as discussed in other threads: Obviously there are not too few who feel that changing the locktype on the Millie is not just "marginal".

Not the end of the world of course, but takes away a part many particularly liked on the Millie in real use.

Not entirely sure why they changed to a comp.lock tbh.
Eric mentions in a vid that it would add strength, which is certainly true.
But then: Who did ever feel the Millie linerlock would be too weak? :thinking
I recall folks complaining about the liner lock "here and there" in the past (I like it very much personally). Also, the compression lock IS Spyderco's lock, so...
Lastly, perhaps just regular ole' "marketing"...

u.w.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:18 am
JSumm wrote:

After you move back home and transfer from sleeping on the trampoline to the house , put the Military on your next to get list :winking-tongue Dan
Will do Dan!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005