Native 5 LW scales (WIP)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Native 5 LW scales (WIP)

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I've been working on these for a little while and thought I would share. Of course they haven't tested but I'm 90% confident they'll work. They don't have texture or cutouts for weight savings. Hopefully someone wants to give them a try and let me know how it goes. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5373585
Attachments
n5lwv1p2.png
n5lwv1p1.png
billdoier72

Re: Native 5 LW scales (WIP)

Post by billdoier72 »

Those look great. I'd love to give them a try.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

billdoier72 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:34 pm
Those look great. I'd love to give them a try.
Thanks! Forgot to mention threaded inserts are needed.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Newest revision. I placed an order with Xometry to be able to test them.
Attachments
n5lwv4.png
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:49 pm
I think Xometry is a european brand, isn't it ? Could I bother you to ask the reference for the threaded inserts ?
I could potentially test your scales (once my brother finally is able to use the 3D printers (filament and resin), and try something with wood and a lot of hand work ! :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:32 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:49 pm
I think Xometry is a european brand, isn't it ? Could I bother you to ask the reference for the threaded inserts ?
I could potentially test your scales (once my brother finally is able to use the 3D printers (filament and resin), and try something with wood and a lot of hand work ! :squinting-tongue
Not sure, they may be based in Europe but they have facilities in the US. I chose the free shipping option and that put the delivery date 2 weeks from today. I think they have 2 other options, 7 and 2 days, for faster turn around but this isn't a rush job.

I made the holes 3.2mm so it will work with M2 or 2-56 inserts. You may need to shorten some of them for the clip screws if they're too long.
https://www.mcmaster.com/browse-fastene ... plastic-7/
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Just got the first test scales in and have it assembled. The lockbar pivot needs moved slightly because the back end sticks out of the scale. Also the hole for the pivot was too small but that was easily fixed. Next revision should be good to go.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Almost fits perfect with the OG scales. I think the process used to print this set, SLS, leaves a rough texture that affects final dimensions. There's some small changes I'm going to do but I'm hesitant to alter more until I try another process. The OG scales have a slight draft angle for the injection molding that I might add. I want to try printing molds and casting scales out of resin.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Those Scales look nice how are there weight and feel?
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

apollo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:59 am
Those Scales look nice how are there weight and feel?
Thanks, I don't have the threaded inserts in yet so it's hard to tell. I think they should be similar in weight once fully assembled. The next version will be a little thicker and possibly have texture.

I want to use washers but the N5LWs pivot bushing is too thick. On the PM2 or Manix 2 the bushing is very close to the width of the blade. The bushing is unique to the N5LW as far as I know. It uses a hex on one side, instead of the typical d-shape, to prevent it from spinning. Pivots from other knives will work to solve the width issue but you lose the hex.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’m excited to try these once you have the final version posted. I’ll try ASA filament if it works with my printer.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

That's neat, why did you send off to have the scales made? I thought you had a printer, are the ones you ordered milled? I might try printing these tonight to see how they look.

I need to go ahead and get a hardened nozzle so I can print interesting stuff like this in something cool like CF Polycarb. Thanks for posting up the STL for other folks to try!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:21 pm
That's neat, why did you send off to have the scales made? I thought you had a printer, are the ones you ordered milled? I might try printing these tonight to see how they look.

I need to go ahead and get a hardened nozzle so I can print interesting stuff like this in something cool like CF Polycarb. Thanks for posting up the STL for other folks to try!
I have a Photon Zero resin printer which might be big enough but didn't try. The resin I have, cheap Anycubic, is too brittle for a LW. I also have access to an Ender 3 but it always has issues. FDM would work but your left with something that looks 3d printed. I was hoping SLS would give a better look but it's somewhere between FDM and SLA. The Nylon 12 is awesome but the SLS gives it a rough texture.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:13 pm
I also have access to an Ender 3 but it always has issues. FDM would work but your left with something that looks 3d printed.
The person with the Ender doesn't have something right. My one Ender has made literally thousands of parts one at a time over the past few years. My other Ender doesn't run as much but it's reliable too. I have ABL on both and I rarely even level the bed. I have it dialed in to the where the parts I sell look great for FDM. Also, Hatchbox has matte PLA that hides the layer lines pretty well. Yeah it's still not SLA but I've get some nice compliments on my work and I don't want to mess with a resin printer. Maybe someday

Nice job on the scales! I'll bookmark your file and make a set at some point. I have a lot of different filament colors including some neon green PLA+ that might be kind of cool to use for scales

By the way I have some CF/Nylon and a all-metal hotend that I need to install on one of my machines. I also have a plan to make a simple enclosure. I just haven't had enough time to do it yet. Need to get to that soon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Matus

Post by Matus »

A very cool project. I have a naive question - since this design is done from scratch - why not make the handle a little more ergonomic with some 3D contouring? I mean with a 3D print the sky is the limit.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:55 am
A very cool project. I have a naive question - since this design is done from scratch - why not make the handle a little more ergonomic with some 3D contouring? I mean with a 3D print the sky is the limit.
Thanks, I'm still working on it. I'm self taught and the contouring is the biggest challenge for me.
Matus

Post by Matus »

You are doing an awesome job. IMO this is the future of custom scales. The 3D printing is getting cheaper, selection of materials grows, so does the product quality. I am following this thread with a lot of interest. Keep at it 👍
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:20 am
Matus wrote:
Thanks, I'm still working on it. I'm self taught and the contouring is the biggest challenge for me.
what modeling software are you using?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:40 am
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Matus wrote:
Fusion 360. This and the Manix lw are the most complicated models I've done. I can do simple contouring like the Mule team scales using the Sweep function. The flat scales are pretty easy, just trace the outline and extrude.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:22 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:40 am
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Matus wrote:
Fusion 360. This and the Manix lw are the most complicated models I've done. I can do simple contouring like the Mule team scales using the Sweep function. The flat scales are pretty easy, just trace the outline and extrude.
I believe there's a way in Fusion 360 to adjust the sweep path along multiple axes to yield a varying sweep thickness.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!