Military 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Military 2

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:44 pm
So, do we yet know anything about the Military2 that is apparently on display at Blade?
This is what I want to know. Assuming its the comp lock version, but what else? 4 way clip? PM2 or PM1 style choil?
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:29 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
So, do we yet know anything about the Military2 that is apparently on display at Blade?
This is what I want to know. Assuming its the comp lock version, but what else? 4 way clip? PM2 or PM1 style choil?
It may just be the stop lock version which has been featured in years past.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seriously how is nobody commenting on this? Were you all sworn to secrecy?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:49 am
It may just be the stop lock version.
That may just get me to jump on one, out of curiosity. The Military Model, as-is, satisfies me completely.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

kennethsime wrote:
vivi wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
That would be cool. Haven't heard much about that Military 2 for a while, been talk about the comp lock version.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:48 am
kennethsime wrote:
vivi wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
That would be cool. Haven't heard much about that Military 2 for a while, been talk about the comp lock version.
Seems Lance at Blade has reported the Military2 has a compression lock.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:53 am
vivi wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
vivi wrote:

I seem to recall that Sal said Eric would be working on a comp.lock Millie 2 or perhaps even that he (Sal) would carry a prototype of it - ? - Not 100% sure, but I think it was in the thread where Sal also confirmed that the linerlock Millie 1 would remain in the lineup (*sigh of relief* ;) ) - honestly, regardless if one totally loves the comp. lock or not, I could imagine that there could be a "too much" in "compression-lock-them-all" - ?! Just in the sense that the comp. lock certainly is "the" Spyderco lock (and a really cool and ingenious design) and by that should be on many knives, but also that keeping some variety (just a few higher end linerlock choices for those who value how perfectly Spyderco does this locktype) is not a bad idea? Just a thought, I am of course in no way placed to estimate this.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:43 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:53 am
vivi wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

I seem to recall that Sal said Eric would be working on a comp.lock Millie 2 or perhaps even that he (Sal) would carry a prototype of it - ? - Not 100% sure, but I think it was in the thread where Sal also confirmed that the linerlock Millie 1 would remain in the lineup (*sigh of relief* ;) ) - honestly, regardless if one totally loves the comp. lock or not, I could imagine that there could be a "too much" in "compression-lock-them-all" - ?! Just in the sense that the comp. lock certainly is "the" Spyderco lock (and a really cool and ingenious design) and by that should be on many knives, but also that keeping some variety (just a few higher end linerlock choices for those who value how perfectly Spyderco does this locktype) is not a bad idea? Just a thought, I am of course in no way placed to estimate this.
I think your recall is correct, Gernot. And so is your preference not to have comp locks everywhere. :D

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Upcoming Military2 with Compression Lock (same exact blade and S30V steel).

Congrats to Spyderco Military2 for winning the American-Made Knife Of The Year® at the 2022 Blade Show.

https://youtu.be/oTGHXxmveY8
Last edited by RamZar on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Eric says "we will carry both for a while" at the end of the video. Makes it seem like the linerlock will be dropped if the sales aren't there. You can't blame them, that's business. I will get a new compression lock and a backup linerlock incase it's discontinued sometime down the road.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Apparently, Military2 with Compression Lock will be priced less than the OG Military with Liner Lock. Don’t know how much cheaper. Currently, Military S30V & G-10 is a hefty $217 & $231 with Satin & DLC blades respectively.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:24 pm
Apparently, Military2 with Compression Lock will be priced less than the OG Military with Liner Lock. Don’t know how much cheaper. Currently, Military S30V & G-10 is a hefty $217 & $231 with Satin & DLC blades respectively.

Given the lower price and the desireability of the new model, it's hard to imagine the original military surving far into the future. Most of the military fan club already have one (or several).

I hope I'm wrong.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm planning to hold on to my Military 1 long enough to compare them at least. I don't see myself ever carrying a Military 1 again once the 2 is out. I may hold on to one for nostalgia though.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

At this stage I am not planning to buy the new model unless it seduces me with a sexy new steel.

I already have 5 and they are just fine.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

So a Millie 2 in K390?
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:09 pm
So a Millie 2 in K390?
Yes please!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I love the original clip, I'm sad the 2 is losing it for the run of the mill hourglass clip. I remember when i realized all my MOTU figures were the same except for the heads and sometimes the armour and weapons, with the occasional flourish of a claw or spring action to throw you off the scent...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I absolutely know what you mean. The Military clip is really cool, and I'm kind of bummed that it's just going to the hourglass clip...but I don't know what they could have done to keep it other than making it pivot/lanyard hole switchable?

The clip itself was so much better looking and more unique, but the positionability (not a word) of the standard clip wins out every time in my opinion.
So it goes.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm going to spend some paychecks on the Millie 2 eventual Sprints and exclusives. Will not be able to resist the obligatory S90V and CF combo.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Military is their best overall knife, why mess with it

Their problem is that price-wise they brought it up there where it doesn't sell anymore, so they have to make a change to get the bison to buy it.

Now Military 2
This will be expensive as well so it might quickly go the way of G10 Police 4.

To get the bison to buy it Spyderco is probably targeting a cheapweight/crapweight Military 2 and the G10 version might be just an intermediary/demo product. And once they get there then colors and steels.

Spyderco will not reduce their margins and will not cut MAP, to cut costs they will eventually downgrade the product/materials.

That's why they probably chose the compression lock, cheapweights/crapweights are compression locks or back locks, is there any liner lock?

They didn't event bother offering it in an exotic steel like they did for G10 Police 4 K390 to make it more attractive, they saw it didn't work for G10 Police 4 so why bother.

Having a few G10/Titanium/CF Military I will probably stick to what I have, good ol'times really good stuff.
Whoever likes the Military it's probably a good time to get one if you can find one, despite what they say don't believe will be available for much longer.