Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: New Spyderco Military 2 debut at Blade Show 2022

Post by vivi »

we gotta pick one thread guys, half the front page is Millie 2 posts lol
:unicorn
Danke

Post by Danke »

Start a new thread. Got it!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:47 pm
...half the front page is Millie 2 posts lol
Which has more threads, Millie 2 posts or stickies?
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

When will this knife be available to purchase?
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I just found and posted the video, you can discuss in whatever topic you like...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:54 pm
I just found and posted the video, you can discuss in whatever topic you like...
I appreciate you sharing it!
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: Military 2; Knife of the Year

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:35 pm
- Of course the Millie 2 has not "ruined" the platform, tbh I think it would be a bit silly to say that - it looks like a great knife, for some a bit better, for some a bit "worse" than the great Millie "1"

- Are the differences to the Millie "1" just "marginally"? This is at least debatable: Different choil, different lock - if this is just "marginally" one could also almost say a Stretch or even Manix is basically the same knife as a PM2.
i shaved down your quote for brevity. in another thread, someone said they ruined the choil. i too thought that was ridiculous, which is why i said what i did. it's certainly not ruined. the knife is barely different.

as for knife being only marginally different, you might disagree, but it is. i think it's silly to say that comparing a military 1 to a military 2 would be like comparing a manix to a pm2. the military 1 and 2 are the same knife with a few minor differences. the only difference in shape is the choil. it still has the same blade. the only other difference is where the lock cutout is and a few extra holes for moving the clip. surely you don't really think this is as different as a pm2 and a manix. that's laughable. they're the same knife and other than the lock change, the changes are basically equivalent to cqi changes.

Yes, it was a bit exaggerated indeed to compare the differences between Millie 1 and 1 with those between a PM2 and a Manix.
Not so much though concerning a G10 Stretch - and a PM2 handle (I am only talking about the handle here!) - I think the differences here could actually be somewhat comparable in their overall amount to those between a Millie 1 and 2.
- The Millie 2 has a very different choil than the "1"
- The Millie 2 has an a bit slimmer / narrower handle
- The Millie 2 has a different clip (this will probably not be really noticeable in hand though I guess)
- And, yes, and first and foremost: It does have the comp.lock cutout instead of the linerlock cutout, NOT "minor" for me. As can be read in several threads already: This DOES make a real difference for not too few (not ALL of course) and definitely also experienced knife users- in both directions! From folks who specifically choose the linerlock Millie over literally any comp.lock knife for the better ergos of the former in harder use to those who feel completely different and the other way round.

For me this is more a Para 4 than a "Millie 2", and certainly looses a bit of its great outdoor capabilities - in operation, ergos and safety.
Still, as said: Certainly a great knife, and I wish it just the best.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the location of the comp lock cutout is in a good spot on this one. it looks like it would be further back into the palm pocket than it is on the caribbean, which i know some find less comfortable because without a choil, it lands closer to the web between the thumb and fingers. it's hard to tell without it in hand though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i still think you all are nuts for insisting it's a bigger pm2 instead of a military 2, but what do i care? you can all call it whatever you want and just be wrong. everyone really knows it's just a xxxxxxl ladybug anyway.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

🤣
anycal

Post by anycal »

PM 4, PM XL, not as capable. I can see the top of my spine, my eyes are rolling so far back in my head...

The knife is not even out yet. What's the point of repeating these things on every thread? Seriously, why?

Wart, I have seen a few pics of your knives, but no Military. Do you even have one? If not, maybe you should wait for the Military 2. It has a potential of being better in operation, ergos, and safety :zany
Peter
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I am so stoked on this.

I absolutely love my Military, but honestly this looks like an improvement in nearly every way. The changes are subtle, and tasteful, and still preserve the essence of the Military.

I love the bigger choil. I love that the comp lock tab looks nice and wide - looks significantly wider than my Crucarta PM2. I love that they skimmed down the butt. I love the tip-up carry option.

I’m not sure I’ll jump on the base model. If it’s S45, I might. I will absolutely jump on the first tool steel version, and if they do a Crucarta I will be over the moon.

I am curious how the weight compares to the OG Millie, and I am curious as to the liner situation - mostly because I’m already wondering about aftermarket Micarta scales.

10/10 in my book, Eric - a credit to one of your father’s best designs. Well done!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Between the Military 2 and the new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob I will for certain be virtually bankrupt for the remainder of year 2022. But I've been forced to eat hot dogs and bologna on two other occasions in my life and I'm sure this year will be the third time. But these 2 models are so monumental that I just can't and won't pass up either one of them and their variants.

I think the Magnacut Military 2 will be my first priority on that particular list for that model.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm really stoked on this model too, but I feel like we all have to get excited about S30V again!?!

The problem is that Spyderco has made steel snobs out of their faithful, but still insist on releasing models in steels that were exciting 20 years ago...
So it goes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:25 pm
i still think you all are nuts for insisting it's a bigger pm2 instead of a military 2, but what do i care? you can all call it whatever you want and just be wrong. everyone really knows it's just a xxxxxxl ladybug anyway.
:')
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:45 pm
PM 4, PM XL, not as capable. I can see the top of my spine, my eyes are rolling so far back in my head...

The knife is not even out yet. What's the point of repeating these things on every thread? Seriously, why?

Wart, I have seen a few pics of your knives, but no Military. Do you even have one? If not, maybe you should wait for the Military 2. It has a potential of being better in operation, ergos, and safety :zany

Man, if there's one thing that should be clear at this point:
- If I don't actually have real experience with a knife or a feature of it, or haven't actually tried/measured... things myself I say so. ;)
Actually one of the reasons for my too many words is to make such things always clear (hence the tons of "just from looking at pics" "could just handle, but never really try xy" and so on).

In case of the Millie: Of course I had one (with nice wooden custom scales), otherwise I could and would not talk about the model the way I do.

And there are aspects that are just generally attached to liner- and comp.lock. Can be pros for one, cons for the next, and not matter for some, but are there.

For me a comp.lock by design just can't compete with a good linerlock on knives with finger choil when it comes to overall safety and convenience of operation in "outdoor" use, and also not in ergos (the last one is really subjective though, there seem to be two distinct camps).

And by giving the Millie 2 better bushings, 4 way clip, the choil most seem to prefer and STILL making it cheaper than the Millie "1"... by calling it "2" and basically the refined version of the "1": Most likely the linerlock Millie will stand no chance on the market, cause all the folks who are constantly fed (not necessarily on this forum though!) with that "outdated, inferior linerlock" nonsense as well as the hype around the "fingers out of the blade path" thing will naturally go for the "new and shiny," one and not give the perfect outdoor design of the "old" Millie a fair try.

But again: The Milie 2 is certainly a great knife and I wish it all the best!! :smlling-eyes
But I still have my opinions formed through real use and trying stuff out.
And so personally I think it is a bit sad that a great, big linerlock outdoor Spydie - choice most likely will eventually get replaced by yet another comp.lock model.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 am
And so personally I think it is a bit sad that a great, big linerlock outdoor Spydie - choice most likely will eventually get replaced by yet another comp.lock model.
Yes, it's sad they're killing one of their best knives with all these MAP increases, but it's all about sales, will be eventually replaced with a cheapweight viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89839&start=100#p1631705
brj

Post by brj »

Well, what can I say, it's a free world, I guess everybody will be voting with their wallets. Personally I'm not interested, have Millies to last me several lifetimes so not planning to lose any sleep over this
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 am
… hype around the "fingers out of the blade path" thing…
You can refuse to acknowledge this as much as you want but reality will always be there when you’re ready for it.

Here’s a very, very, basic visual analogy.

It should be obvious who is safer here. This is not a personal attack against liner locks, it’s just a fact.

(For context I should add that I use and enjoy both locks. It’s just undeniable that the compression lock offers a safer way of actuating the lock.)
-Nick :bug-red
olywa

Post by olywa »

Whatever floats your boat I guess. The Millie is one of the best executed liner locks I've ever used, and I've used a bunch of them. I've tried to like the compression lock but the only one I've kept is my Sage 5 LW. For the most part I find them awkward to close one-handed, though admittedly I'm not the most dexterous guy around. For hard use and gloved use I'll take the original.