C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:25 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:00 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:06 am
resonanzmacher wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:01 pm
I wonder if 5x5 Combat Solutions will release a Pickpocket and a Recluse for the Ayoob. I'd pay real money for both.

I also wonder if BladeOps will do an Emerson Wave Ayoob. Because I would also pay real money for that.
A waved Ayoob would be uglier than a yard dog, but you are entitled to want whatever you want
Yeah I tend to agree with you on that one TBD. And please I'm not trying to cast dispersions on this good Brother and I'm sure he means well. Because we all like different things for sure.
No aspersion cast, never fear. Wave opening knives usually aren't pretty and the Ayoob isn't a design that emphasised aesthetics to begin with, so it'd probably be something only people like me would be excited for once they lay eyes on it. I'm gonna get at least one Ayoob and I definitely am not doing it for the looks (uh, no shade JD, it's just got a face made for radio). The functionality is what I'd imagine most of us are down for.

To be fair, I don't know anyone who carries a wave opener because of its looks :)

The design actually looks like it'd be pretty easy to add a Spyderco style wave to it, or even a lifted cobra hood up near the thumb ramp if for whatever reason the powers that be would decide to give it a go... and even if no one ever does that, there's enough metal up by the thumb ramp that someone could probably get a halfway decent Wave action by removing some steel if we feel strongly enough about it to start modding it up.

Getting a 5x5 pickpocket probably makes the most sense for everyone but I dunno if the economics would make sense for 5x5 given that this is a sprint. But you know how it is, hope springs eternal.
Really for all intent and purposes you make an excellent observation. First off I'm sort of amazed at how many people here on this thread make the assertion that the C-60 Ayoob is "UGLY" or doesn't look like what a conventional all purpose knife should look like. And that is fair because I do know for a fact that Mr. Ayoob strictly had "Function" in mind while putting this design together. And his main focus was in the self defense sector. But I've found his design to be ideal for a wide range of cutting chores in spite of it being designed mainly for self defense.

But on the other hand the old saying "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder" could certainly apply here as well.

Just to be fair about this proposed Ayoob model with the possible addition of an Emerson "Wave" would have to be strictly for "Function" and not to enhance beauty and/or aesthetics. But it's all good and you raise some interesting points to consider.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh by the way>> for all you lucky souls who get to take in the BLADE Show this weekend I was wondering if they have this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run on display at the Spyderco Booth? I've heard the Military 2 is there on display and I was wondering if the Spyderco folks took a prototype of this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run? The timing would be excellent if they did.

I hope all of you at the show have a great time this year.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:44 pm
Oh by the way>> for all you lucky souls who get to take in the BLADE Show this weekend I was wondering if they have this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run on display at the Spyderco Booth? I've heard the Military 2 is there on display and I was wondering if the Spyderco folks took a prototype of this C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run? The timing would be excellent if they did.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:44 pm

Yes it was! Plain edge and serrated. Felt great in hand.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Was the grind sabre or low hollow?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Saber grind I believe.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:29 am
Saber grind I believe.
I'm wondering if the slight change in the grind would even make 15 cents worth of difference performance-wise. Considering the high performing advantages that Cruwear steel has proven to be? Or if this is going to be a deal breaker for some folks?

I do find this somewhat curious however.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:44 am
JSumm wrote:
Saber grind I believe.
I'm wondering if the slight change in the grind would even make 15 cents worth of difference performance-wise. Considering the high performing advantages that Cruwear steel has proven to be? Or if this is going to be a deal breaker for some folks?

It is such a shallow blade, I don't think it would make a big difference.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:53 pm
I would expect Cru-Wear to be somewhat less stain resistant than the D2.
cruwear is more corrosion resistant than d2, according to knifesteelnerds. i was doing some "light reading" about it this morning.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:04 am
JD Spydo wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Saber grind I believe.

Forumite Mark Greenman has an Ayoob he got Tim Krein to regrind FFG
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

This is on my RADAR.

The Spyderco Defense Fund is getting a workout this Month!

With the DLT PM2 dropping and the Swick6 just around the corner?

Oh My Goodness.. but I don’t think I can pass this up in good conscience.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 pm
Seeing how large that knife is and how steep the angle really is makes me even more excited. This’ll be my first foray into serrations and I am gonna tear up some recycling!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JSumm wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Saber grind I believe.

On such an obtuse bevel as a Sabre, I would think that hollowing it would be even more impactful than on more acute bevels.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:54 pm
JSumm wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Saber grind I believe.

On such an obtuse bevel as a Sabre, I would think that hollowing it would be even more impactful than on more acute bevels.
That part is so interesting. Because I distinctly remember MR. Massad Ayoob himself saying that he wanted a folding knife that felt like he was holding a pistol and/or handgun.

And when you think about the ergonomics of the C-60 model many people perceive it as "UGLY" from an aesthetics standpoint>> but functionally the design is genius. When working with the C-60 you see that it was designed for function.

I've even wondered how a full flat grind might work on this model. I'm inclined to believe that it would work fine.
Matus

Post by Matus »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:10 am
Matus wrote:
cruwear is more corrosion resistant than d2, according to knifesteelnerds. i was doing some "light reading" about it this morning.
I stand corrected, I have not check out it recently and apparently mixed it up. Thanks for the correction.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Matus wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:10 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:10 am
Matus wrote:
I stand corrected, I have not check out it recently and apparently mixed it up. Thanks for the correction.
just trying to help. i didn't remember myself, so i went digging.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:50 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:25 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:00 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:06 am

A waved Ayoob would be uglier than a yard dog, but you are entitled to want whatever you want
Yeah I tend to agree with you on that one TBD. And please I'm not trying to cast dispersions on this good Brother and I'm sure he means well. Because we all like different things for sure.
No aspersion cast, never fear. Wave opening knives usually aren't pretty and the Ayoob isn't a design that emphasised aesthetics to begin with, so it'd probably be something only people like me would be excited for once they lay eyes on it. I'm gonna get at least one Ayoob and I definitely am not doing it for the looks (uh, no shade JD, it's just got a face made for radio). The functionality is what I'd imagine most of us are down for.

To be fair, I don't know anyone who carries a wave opener because of its looks :)

The design actually looks like it'd be pretty easy to add a Spyderco style wave to it, or even a lifted cobra hood up near the thumb ramp if for whatever reason the powers that be would decide to give it a go... and even if no one ever does that, there's enough metal up by the thumb ramp that someone could probably get a halfway decent Wave action by removing some steel if we feel strongly enough about it to start modding it up.

Getting a 5x5 pickpocket probably makes the most sense for everyone but I dunno if the economics would make sense for 5x5 given that this is a sprint. But you know how it is, hope springs eternal.
Really for all intent and purposes you make an excellent observation. First off I'm sort of amazed at how many people here on this thread make the assertion that the C-60 Ayoob is "UGLY" or doesn't look like what a conventional all purpose knife should look like. And that is fair because I do know for a fact that Mr. Ayoob strictly had "Function" in mind while putting this design together. And his main focus was in the self defense sector. But I've found his design to be ideal for a wide range of cutting chores in spite of it being designed mainly for self defense.

But on the other hand the old saying "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder" could certainly apply here as well.

Just to be fair about this proposed Ayoob model with the possible addition of an Emerson "Wave" would have to be strictly for "Function" and not to enhance beauty and/or aesthetics. But it's all good and you raise some interesting points to consider.
Also worth mentioning is this was designed as tip down. Yes is can be tip up but knives this big like a Mille or E4 I do like tip down
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Had to carry it today. Kind of excited 😆

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

I literally can't wait. The worst thing is - it is nearly 100% sure that EVERABODY who wanted to get one in US will have it before I get mine. Pure torture :p
Matus

Post by Matus »

So apparently Lamnia will have these for 247€ just a heads up for our European members.