subway bowie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coastal

Re: subway bowie!

Post by Coastal »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:56 pm
ulticlip would work.
Good idea; it would. I didn't think of that because I had envisioned something thinner/smaller, like a regular Spyderco clip. Good example of a preconceived notion eliminating a potential solution.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I got at first very excited about it, but putting it side-by-side with the Ark shows that the handle is super short. I would really love to see an EDC fixed blade (thin, lightweight, FRN) and Spyderco has all the relevant parts, but it should allow for a normal grip. Ark is a lovely knife, but I will be most likely selling mine, simply because I can not get a decent grip on it to use that lovely serrated thin blade.
Subway_Bowie_Ark.JPG
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:53 am
I got at first very excited about it, but putting it side-by-side with the Ark shows that the handle is super short. I would really love to see an EDC fixed blade (thin, lightweight, FRN) and Spyderco has all the relevant parts, but it should allow for a normal grip. Ark is a lovely knife, but I will be most likely selling mine, simply because I can not get a decent grip on it to use that lovely serrated thin blade.

Subway_Bowie_Ark.JPG
subway bowie has a thicker handle it looks like, and a beefier blade.

if you need an edc fb with a full sized grip I'd recommend the Street Beat. They're cheaper than the subway bowie anyways, many stores sell them for $90-110.

I have the perrin baby bowie from max knives of france and it's a three finger grip for me. fred perrins handle style works really well with a three finger grip, so I'm not worried about the stubby handle myself. I don't expect this to replace my street beats.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

cali wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:59 pm
Jim Malone wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:31 pm
Where can i find msrp?

Found it. 173€ retail price in Europe.
The smallest custom knives by Fred Perrin are cheaper, lol!
Really? In the US the Perrin knives made by Max Knives out of France are less expensive but his customs are at least double the price of the Spydercos.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cali

Post by cali »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:50 am
cali wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:59 pm
Jim Malone wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:31 pm
Where can i find msrp?

Found it. 173€ retail price in Europe.
The smallest custom knives by Fred Perrin are cheaper, lol!
Really? In the US the Perrin knives made by Max Knives out of France are less expensive but his customs are at least double the price of the Spydercos.
The smallest ones, called Pocket *, like Pocket Claw or Pocket Stilletto, are available right now in French online shops for 140 EUR (two of them are also available in ACK for 175 USD).
Max knives are much cheaper, usually in 30-80 EUR range.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Interesting, thank you. I have not see those here in the US.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Matus wrote:

Subway_Bowie_Ark.JPG
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to see. I love the size, steel and blade shape of the Subway Bowie. But I'm a bit worried these Perrin knives with that big scoop out of the tang for your index finger wouldn't feel good in my hand. One way to know for sure is to buy one 🤑
Matus

Post by Matus »

It will not be the 'perfect' grip for all uses - after all, this was designed basically as a weapon, but I would say that for non-permanent use it should do OK.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
vivi

Post by vivi »

cholla_remover wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:53 pm
Matus wrote:

Subway_Bowie_Ark.JPG
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to see. I love the size, steel and blade shape of the Subway Bowie. But I'm a bit worried these Perrin knives with that big scoop out of the tang for your index finger wouldn't feel good in my hand. One way to know for sure is to buy one 🤑
the handle style is different and takes some getting used to. Once it felt at home in my grip it became one of my favorite knives. Street Beat is definitely on my list of most ergonomic spydercos. Seems to be a pretty universal handle because I have friends with much smaller hands that like it too.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Thanks! If funds allow I think I'll try this one out.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Looks like a great candidate for one these. :/ Like on the Perrin folder.

You will be surprised at how much more stability it adds to your grip on the knife without adding bulk to the knife.
It does take some getting used to though, ',:-| it’s different.
How much can a Koala bear?
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:41 pm
cholla_remover wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:53 pm
Matus wrote:

Subway_Bowie_Ark.JPG
the handle style is different and takes some getting used to. Once it felt at home in my grip it became one of my favorite knives. Street Beat is definitely on my list of most ergonomic spydercos. Seems to be a pretty universal handle because I have friends with much smaller hands that like it too.
Can confirm. Have small hands myself, and the Street Beat is and has remained the most comfortable handle I've ever felt. I'm definitely in for the Subway Bowie. I'm not a fan of coatings, but I'll probably buy one of each just to support the effort. I'm very happy seeing the way this one came out vs. the model that was the inspiration which I thought was kinda "meh"
--Jeremy
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Of course, I like this one too!
I’m a lover of fixed blades and seeing that it will be LC200N sweetened the deal for me. The subway bowie looks perfect! Kinda want serrations, though.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This one will be YAFBKIDN for me. :woozy
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Today's byte features this blade and Fred Perrin. Looks really awesome! In for a satin one when it ships.
vivi

Post by vivi »

good year for small edc fixed blades!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I’m in!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I generally didn’t know much about Perrin's career, and was specifically unaware of the La Griffe, and how heavily it has influenced the Swick. Very interesting bits of Byte and a very appreciated insight into two designs I have been anticipating for quite a while.

The Subway bowie since its early rumors and the Swick since I realized its potential as a work knife (which made it especially cool to realize that the need for a safe, secure and practical work knife was also the origin of the La Griffe).
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

after seeing the swick and the subway bowie and thinking about edc use, i'm kind of wishing there was a subway wharnie.

i think i'll go for the subway bowie over the swick, but i hope we someday see a subway wharnie. or better yet, a street beat wharnie.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It’s a good sign to see the Subway Bowie in the July 2022 Spyderco byte because it usually means it’s about to ship!

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln