Reveal 10 Timing, Predictions, Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Reveal 10 Timing, Predictions, Discussion

Post by aicolainen »

The subway Bowie arrived sooner than expected. Lets hope the funding follows that same trend..

Wouldn’t mind a P.I.T.S. either, but I worry that any effort to catch one in this corner of the world could result in more P.I.T.A. than P.I.T.S.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:50 am
I suspect the Chief is a dealer exclusive, but they cannot reveal which one yet. Consumer direct could mean that it will not make it to distributors.

Maybe a dealer that cancelled their order or couldn't pay for it and now it's consumer direct from Spyderco. That's just a guess though.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:54 am
The Massad Ayoob Sprint Run with CPM-CRU-WEAR (PlainEdge and SpyderEdge) and Gray G-10 for $210 are quite reasonable.

Designed by world-renowned firearms expert Massad Ayoob and originally introduced in 2001, the Massad Ayoob folding knife featured a distinctive negative angle between its blade and handle. This aligns the blade with the bones of the forearm to ensure a more direct transfer of force during thrusting and cutting motions and shortens the blade’s opening arc. This long-awaited Sprint Run expression of Ayoob’s design features a blade crafted from CPM CRU-WEAR®—a specially formulated air-hardening tool steel renowned for its edge holding and toughness. Its handle features full, skeletonized stainless steel liners, a sturdy back lock mechanism, distinctive gray peel-ply-textured G-10 scales, and a black-coated four-position pocket clip that provides a choice of left or right-side tip-up or tip-down carry.

Ok, my math was right. $210 was a pleasant surprise!
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:01 am
JRinFL wrote:
I suspect the Chief is a dealer exclusive, but they cannot reveal which one yet. Consumer direct could mean that it will not make it to distributors.

Maybe a dealer that cancelled their order or couldn't pay for it and now it's consumer direct from Spyderco. That's just a guess though.

Sold consumer direct and available only at the Spyderco Factory Outlet or through Spyderco.com is just like the PM2 Colorado Flag Sprint from last year. Now, they'll be joined with the two Native Chief Sprints. Mules were always direct from Spyderco. Fortunately, the PITS and Massad Sprints will be available at dealers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:05 am
RamZar wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:54 am
The Massad Ayoob Sprint Run with CPM-CRU-WEAR (PlainEdge and SpyderEdge) and Gray G-10 for $210 are quite reasonable.

Designed by world-renowned firearms expert Massad Ayoob and originally introduced in 2001, the Massad Ayoob folding knife featured a distinctive negative angle between its blade and handle. This aligns the blade with the bones of the forearm to ensure a more direct transfer of force during thrusting and cutting motions and shortens the blade’s opening arc. This long-awaited Sprint Run expression of Ayoob’s design features a blade crafted from CPM CRU-WEAR®—a specially formulated air-hardening tool steel renowned for its edge holding and toughness. Its handle features full, skeletonized stainless steel liners, a sturdy back lock mechanism, distinctive gray peel-ply-textured G-10 scales, and a black-coated four-position pocket clip that provides a choice of left or right-side tip-up or tip-down carry.

Ok, my math was right. $210 was a pleasant surprise!
Both for $420, nice.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JRinFL wrote:

It says "Sprint" though, which is typically reserved for ones Spyderco puts out themselves. :thinking
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I can only hope these releases will be well staggered! Several must-buys: P.I.T.S., Enuff XL SE, Ayoob SE, a Mule or two, or more... Good grief, it's a bonanza!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Forgot the Subway Bowie. That one, too.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:01 am
JRinFL wrote:

Sold consumer direct and available only at the Spyderco Factory Outlet or through Spyderco.com is just like the PM2 Colorado Flag Sprint from last year. Now, they'll be joined with the two Native Chief Sprints. Mules were always direct from Spyderco. Fortunately, the PITS and Massad Sprints will be available at dealers.

This makes sense, but it is interesting to see them do it on a pretty basic knife like this. The mules and Colorado were both something a bit outside the norm.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Oh.. my interest in the PITS may have faded some after someone mentioned the price.
It’s a cool piece, but maybe that’s all it is. It’s too expensive to live in the sock drawer, that’s for sure
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The regular production Native Chief with S30V & G-10 is $184.80 and now the Sprint Run Native Chief with M390 & G-10 is $250! An extra $65.20 to go from S30V to M390!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:12 pm
The regular production Native Chief with S30V & G-10 is $184.80 and now the Sprint Run Native Chief with M390 & G-10 is $250! An extra $65.20 to go from S30V to M390!
Plus another $40 for coating! :woozy My St. Nicks DLC 4V@ $180 was such a bargain!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RamZar wrote:

Is it due to Spyderco direct vs. MAP pricing? So OpsFocus members could get it for $125 and non-OpsFocus it goes for full retail of $250 since Spyderco doesn't go by MAP pricing?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:30 pm
RamZar wrote:

Is it due to Spyderco direct vs. MAP pricing? So OpsFocus members could get it for $125 and non-OpsFocus it goes for full retail of $250 since Spyderco doesn't go by MAP pricing?

I’d say Yes & Yes.

The Colorado Flag PM2 has no additional discount for OpFocus but right now no such verbiage (“Additional discounts not applicable for this item.”) shows up on the Spyderco website for the two Native Chief Sprints.
bjz

Post by bjz »

So, not to come off pessimistic, but I’m curious what the forum members actually see in these reveals, or even the “2022 catalog” that came out earlier?

Sure, it’s a glimpse into the likely future, but how do y’all use this information?

I ask because, a few of the items in reveal 10 aren’t new, they are just items that have been out of stock for a long time and happen to be getting new color scales. Then, some sprints and a bunch of new-but-expected products with no real definitive availability date.

Personally, the thing that was the most interesting to me was the UpTern! Talk about a head scratcher. .
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Aren't there still knives from reveals from a year ago, maybe even two years, that still haven't dropped? That's why I try not to get overly excited about these things, because you never know when the knife you really want is actually going to be available.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Aren't there still knives from reveals from a year ago, maybe even two years, that still haven't dropped? That's why I try not to get overly excited about these things, because you never know when the knife you really want is actually going to be available.

The 4 Swick models from May 2020 (Reveal 5) and the 4 K390 SpyderEdge FRN models from January 2021 (Reveal 7) are still pending delivery to dealers. There are others.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

RamZar wrote:
CutleryShoppe still has the CTS-XHP Chief available for $175. Starting to look like a better deal every passing day.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:52 pm
RamZar wrote:
CutleryShoppe still has the CTS-XHP Chief available for $175. Starting to look like a better deal every passing day.

Indeed.

Additionally, the Sprint Run Native Chief with CPM-S90V & Carbon Fiber from FEB 2021 is still available at some dealers for $245.00.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Just a side note... All the knives from Reveal 9 were available for sale within 112 days from the previous Reveal announcement. That is in the 90 - 120 day goal they were originally shooting for. They missed the mark on the Webfoot Sharpener and the Travel-Ti canteen cup but they also knocked out a few knives from previous Reveals along with a bunch of Exclusives that were in the pipeline. I think that's pretty good! Hopefully that can continue with Reveal 10.
•• Beau