Is it time for the Delica 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Is it time for the Delica 5?

Post by Sharp Guy »

phaust wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:34 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:36 am
Haunted House wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:27 am
It would be cool if the Delica had that finger choil from the Meadowlark, but that’s probably the only thing I would change.
^ that's kind of what I was thinking but I already put my finger in that spot on the Delica even though it doesn't actually fit. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the Delica 4. Considering what it costs to have new molds made I'd be surprised if Spyderco justified the expense just for that
Adding a choil to the Delica/Endura is a topic that's come up a number of times over the years as you might imagine. There are a lot of strong opinions on both sides, but ultimately Sal/Spyderco had said it's not happening because there are already plenty of models with them.
👍🏻 I've seen the conversations. I actually have one of the Lil ParaDelica creations and it's nice but I still carry my regular Delicas much more. So I could take or leave the choil
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:16 am
Honestly, I don’t know what they would improve. The D4 is just about perfect.
Lookup the Shabazz disassembly video. They need to change the internal construction so it’s less arduous to reassemble. But maybe that counts more as cqi than a d5.

I can confirm though from real world experience it’s a complete hassle to put it together.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:42 pm
Fred Sanford wrote:
Lookup the Shabazz disassembly video. They need to change the internal construction so it’s less arduous to reassemble. But maybe that counts more as cqi than a d5.

I can confirm though from real world experience it’s a complete hassle to put it together.
Have you tried the "lockbar last" reassembly method (I think Nick Shabbaz has a Delica- vid about this one too)?

Pretty easy that way, though the last step is a bit trickier than the rest of the process still.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

sethwm wrote:
Fred Sanford wrote:

I have taken apart probably 30 Delica's and reassembled them. The first one I did was a learning experience. It is FAR from a complete hassle to put together. Maybe for you, because you are inexperienced. Don't put it on Spyderco to redesign the internals to make it easier for you or Shabazz to assemble. The D4 is not made by Spyderco to be disassembled and reassembled to clean. I don't give a hoot what Nick says. Seems like a good guy but I don't agree with his needing to disassemble every single knife for a light cleaning. Nothing he's taken apart has been even remotely dirty.

I've been carrying a Delica since the Delica II.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Only thing they could improve on the Delica for me: Give iit the longer, more handle filling blade length of the Salr 2 and by that more cutting edge.
Otherwise it is perfect for a small folder. Cuts better than Para 3 LW and Native 5 in my experience, is slimmer in pocket and really light WITH its liners.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:19 pm
sethwm wrote:
Fred Sanford wrote:

Have you tried the "lockbar last" reassembly method (I think Nick Shabbaz has a Delica- vid about this one too)?

Pretty easy that way, though the last step is a bit trickier than the rest of the process still.
Yeah that’s how I do it but it’s under tension and still a pain to align just right
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:21 pm
sethwm wrote:
Fred Sanford wrote:

I have taken apart probably 30 Delica's and reassembled them. The first one I did was a learning experience. It is FAR from a complete hassle to put together. Maybe for you, because you are inexperienced. Don't put it on Spyderco to redesign the internals to make it easier for you or Shabazz to assemble. The D4 is not made by Spyderco to be disassembled and reassembled to clean. I don't give a hoot what Nick says. Seems like a good guy but I don't agree with his needing to disassemble every single knife for a light cleaning. Nothing he's taken apart has been even remotely dirty.

I've been carrying a Delica since the Delica II.
Ok. Glad it’s easy for you. It’s not for me. It’s not for many.
vivi

Post by vivi »

guys try taking a police frn apart. that floating pin that reinforces the lock bar makes it so much fun compared to smaller folders!
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:05 pm
guys try taking a police frn apart. that floating pin that reinforces the lock bar makes it so much fun compared to smaller folders!
Ya, that's gonna be fun I'm sure.

As for the backspacer/spring holder on the Delica... I think it could stand to be a little more robust. Maybe the plastic 'pins' could be made larger or longer so they don't deform under spring tension when you're putting it back together? Yes I can put it back together by putting either the lockbar or the blade and pivot in last I've done it both ways, but it would be better if the spacer was more sturdy like some of the aftermarket ones I've used. Makes much easier to work with.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I generally like the Delica just the way it is. FRN, steel liners, weird ricasso, VG10/K390, stout tip, etc.

The only thing I'd change is adding an internal stop pin like the Chaparral. The vertical play on Seki lockbacks drives me crazy, even if it is inconsequential in use.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Toucan wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:32 am
I generally like the Delica just the way it is. FRN, steel liners, weird ricasso, VG10/K390, stout tip, etc.

The only thing I'd change is adding an internal stop pin like the Chaparral. The vertical play on Seki lockbacks drives me crazy, even if it is inconsequential in use.
It drives me crazy too ! It's a mistery to me why don't they implement the internal stop pin :thinking
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

For me the Delica is too much of a tweener. I like the really small knives, and I’ve gravitated to knives larger than the Delica. That said, I still have one as something to carry when going to restrictive environments. It’s pretty unassuming I think. Can’t be brownie popped so it’ll pass the gravity knife test. Secure in pocket or waistband during rigorous activity, so I never worry about unintended opening. Really there’s a lot going for it. I think I just need the Endela or Endura size.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica PE has been my favorite folder for a decade or so. Salt 2 Wharncliffe is changing that.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica 4 is my favorite 3" bladed folder, just edging out the wonderful Caly3 for a couple of reasons. Change it? Not on your life. It is perfect just as it is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:19 pm
sethwm wrote:
Fred Sanford wrote:

Yeah that’s how I do it but it’s under tension and still a pain to align just right
Ok.

Yes, as said it's true that that last step is a bit fiddly and can feel like having a third hand would make it easier ;)

Just for me it is far from being "a complete hazzle" though, but admittedly still always takes me three or four tries to align everything right.
brancron

Post by brancron »

To mean, the wharncliffe Delica 4 is nearly the perfect knife. The only minor things I would change would be as follows:

1. Get rid of the tip-down clip holes. (If I had my druthers they'd get rid of the left-hand tip-down clip holes but that would be too cruel to the lefties.)

2. Change the pocket clip. While the stock Endura clip is perfectly fine on an Endura, to me the stock Delica clip is a bit of a hot spot the way the end of it sticks into the palm. Just a slightly shorter clip, something along the lines of these MXG Gear clips, would be perfect: