Open Construction Knife Recommendations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chopping Broccoli

Open Construction Knife Recommendations

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I've really slowed down buying knives since MAP was implemented. Add annual price increases and soaring inflation and buying more knives to add to my collection of 75+ Spyderco knives doesn't make much financial sense. But I've got the itch to get a new knife or two but rather than buying knives to try out and see if I end up liking it, I feel I need to do a little more research before buying. Based upon the knives that I gravitate towards in my collection (Para 1 and Sage 1) I think I strongly prefer open construction knives with a leaf shaped stainless steel blade. I'm going to order a Caribbean Leaf Shaped Serrated which I think will be a nice addition. I haven't been following the various knife releases as closely as I used to. Just looking for the Spyderco pros on this board to offer any suggestions for the next knife I should buy.

Criteria again:

- Spyderco
- Open Construction
- Leaf Shaped Blade
- Stainless Steel
- Currently Available without paying secondary market pricing
Hopsbreath

Re: Open Construction Knife Recommendations

Post by Hopsbreath »

Have you added a Shaman to the collection? There’s a few out there but of note is the BladeHQ exclusive dropping Tuesday. Not exactly stainless, but micarta handles and M4 has the makings of a classic. Just back in the game with an itch for something new and special? You can do a lot worse.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tenacious LW S35VN...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I know it’s a bit old hat but I got a couple serrated Tenacious’ as gifts my brothers could beat on. I was very impressed out of the box for what you got for the price.

A knife like the Caribbean is obviously MUCH higher quality but it’s nice to buy in categories. And for a serrated tool to thrash on the Tenacious won’t disappoint.

Note: I tried to post this and Wart beat me to the punch. :)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Resilience LW S35VN is growing on me. Sometimes size does matter. :winking-tongue Excellent F&F and strong detent on mine.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Checks all your criteria:
Caribbean (leaf option)
Sage5

Checks most of your criteria:
Manix2 (open-construction but partially occluded)
Shaman (open-construction but partially occluded)
Pattadese (technically not a leaf but impresses as such)
Kapara (technically not a leaf but impresses as such)

The foregoing are ones I have, and have determined to be still in production (thus available at MAP) if not actually in stock.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blerv wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:07 am

A knife like the Caribbean is obviously MUCH higher quality but it’s nice to buy in categories. And for a serrated tool to thrash on the Tenacious won’t disappoint.

Note: I tried to post this and Wart beat me to the punch. :)
Yeah, close call, but I was a tad quicker.. ;)

I never even held a Caribbean, so I can't compare, but actually my S35VN Tenacious LW is of amazing quality and absolutely perfect fit and finish! It also has a really strong detent, but is still easily "flickable" with every finger (not that the latter would be important, just saying).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

If you wanna spice up your knife life, then perhaps exploring designs outside your norm of leaf blades might rekindle that spark. Open back Wharnies, Hawkbills, S curves, etc. Much to explore in the Spyderco orbit. My favorite open back currently still in stock is the SpydieChef.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

If you are on a budget, the Polestar and Alycone just got updated to BD1N. If you prefer a choil, the Byrd Raven2 is essentially a beefier Polestar with a choil. (Albeit with only BD1 steel and teflon washers to keep the price down.)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean is a solid choice. If you prefer a finger choil I'd say a Shaman, but also maybe consider that it's a tank compared to a Sage. The Caribbean is bigger than a Sage but also fairly thin and light for the size. If you're legally allowed, I can't recommend an Autonomy enough, I don't own the Autonomy 2 but I feel confident assuming that it's amazing and I love the lock and action of my Autonomy 1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:50 am
Based upon the knives that I gravitate towards in my collection (Para 1 and Sage 1) I think I strongly prefer open construction knives with a leaf shaped stainless steel blade.

Criteria again:

- Spyderco
- Open Construction
- Leaf Shaped Blade
- Stainless Steel
- Currently Available without paying secondary market pricing
Sage5 LW is like taking the best parts of your two favorites and combining them! It's the best implementation of a comp lock spyderco has ever done IMO, and it's ergos are improved over the Sage1 because it doesn't require the liner lock cutout.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I will add another vote for the Caribbean.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:05 am
Tenacious LW S35VN...
I'll second that.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Caribbean is a good choice!Image

Alternatively, what about a Spydiechef? I know, it has a wonky leaf-shaped blade. I also prefer the traditional leaf shapes, but I find this one to be a superb and practical everyday carry. Similar size than the Caribbean too.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some good suggestions all around. I'm a big fan of the Sage series and I own all of them but I never bought the Sage 5 LW. Might need to give that a try. I've also stayed away from the Chinese made Spyderco knives but might need to give the Tenacious LW S35VN a try. At the very least, it would make a good beater knife. I do have a Kapara already but I do not have a Shaman or Spydiechef. I'm generally not a fan of the titanium handles knives I own (Sage 2 is my least favorite of the 5 Sage's). But the Spydiechef looks like an intriguing knife. Perhaps I'll give it a try. Looks like Knife Joy still has the blue handled version available.

But really looking forward to getting my hands on a Caribbean. I never liked the black/yellow handle based on the photos, but everyone that owns one seems to really like this knife and I think the scales will grow on me. I love the yellow scales on my Salt knives and I do not mind all my black handled knives so maybe I will like the yellow/black stripes on the Caribbean.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I dislike the Caribbean handle in photos, but it really does look much better in person. The texturing of the G10 works surprisingly well. Still not my favorite knife for looks, but it's very nice in hand.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

Caribbean is nice but beware the detent is very light.

I'd consider the Military if you haven't.
:unicorn
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

On budget (but awesome): Resilience S35VN
Not on budget: Carribean
Money no object: Military
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Coastal wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:13 am
On budget (but awesome): Resilience S35VN
Not on budget: Carribean
Money no object: Military
I've rethought this. The base Military is not expensive, especially if you find one of the older models NOS.