Spyderco Kitchen knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T.J.

Spyderco Kitchen knives

Post by T.J. »

I'm looking for opinions on the kitchen knives featured in the last byte. I was considering a Myabi but these Spyderco's look interesting. How does CTSBD1 hold up in kitchen use? Is it comparable to top tier Japanese steels? I think the Miyabi uses the equivalent of ZPD189. Any input is appreciated!
Naperville

Re: Spyderco Kitchen knives

Post by Naperville »

T.J. wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:53 pm
I'm looking for opinions on the kitchen knives featured in the last byte. I was considering a Myabi but these Spyderco's look interesting. How does CTSBD1 hold up in kitchen use? Is it comparable to top tier Japanese steels? I think the Miyabi uses the equivalent of ZPD189. Any input is appreciated!
ZDP189 steel knives should be more expensive than CTSBD1 knives. EDIT! Note they are CTSBD1N and that is a much better steel than CTSBD1.

Murray Carter does not come across as the type of guy to let anyone use his name for anything other than perfection. I do not have the Murray Carter knives but I'd buy them for my own mother. I sent my brother the Spyderco Byte to see if he wanted the knives, as he is looking at some rather high end kitchen knives.
Last edited by Naperville on Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi is a Chef, I believe. He has lots of experience with BD1N in the kitchen. In his other threads he has only had good things to say about it as a culinary steel.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

T.J. wrote:
No, neither BD1 nor BD1N will be on par with top tier Japanese steels.

To my knowledge, Miyabi uses SG2 and FC61. Neither would be considered the equivalent of ZDP-189.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:45 pm
T.J. wrote:

To my knowledge, Miyabi uses SG2 and FC61. Neither would be considered the equivalent of ZDP-189.
ZDP 189 knives are also easily double the cost.

FROM A SITE ON THE NET:
Carpenter specially formulated cts bd1 steel to Spyderco’s request and it was based on the Hitachi’s highly popular “Gingami I" (silver paper) which also goes by the name G2 in the early Spydercos and GIN 1 in the current Spydercos. (Source).

...CTS-BD1 shouldn’t be confused with CTS-BD1N. While both are products of Carpenter, the latter is a nitrogen-bearing, high carbon chromium modernistic steel that has been balanced to offer superior hardness to CTS-BD1.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bjz

Post by bjz »

Just like anything, proper expectations and maintenance will effect your outcome, but my experience with both the z-cut as well as the spyderco/Carter bd1n bunko have been great! Mine sees nearly daily use for 90% of my kitchen needs over the last 6 months. I’m still working with the factory bevel…I think if added an ever so slight 15 deg micro bevel with SM fine rods (probably less than 10 passes on each side) and maybe as many passes on a strop.

Please keep in mind that I don’t prepare meat as part of my diet so this is 100% fruit and vegetable use. I also have a Richmond gyuto in Abe-l as well as a mundial in whatever German steel they use for tough jobs such as squash.

I happen to have a Carter nakiri as well, in super blue, and frankly would prefer the bd1n. I obtained both of my Carters for less than what they are asking for the minarai series…I’m not sure I could justify the normal expense. The minarai series though, is very intriguing! The black G-10, handles are drop dead classy, but I feel that the value of the minarai handles is getting closer to realistic! They seem overpriced until you get to spend time with them…Carter’s geometry is there and these are fractions of the cost of a Carter handmade or even one of his apprentice knives!

Oh, and when it does come time to sharpen, bd1n is a breeze! My z-cut reprofiled very quickly/easily and the couple of bd1n Spyderco folders I own are very easy to keep very sharp.
bjz

Post by bjz »

The other thing, these kitchen knives are LIGHTWEIGHT and ring out…if you tap the blade it literally rings. I’ve never experienced that before.

I cannot speak for myabi but the spyderco/Carter knives a much lighter than most of the “fancy” department Japanese-like options such as shun that I’ve handled! Some of the Mac hand global knives come close, but still not as light!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:50 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
T.J. wrote:

ZDP 189 knives are also easily double the cost.

FROM A SITE ON THE NET:
Carpenter specially formulated cts bd1 steel to Spyderco’s request and it was based on the Hitachi’s highly popular “Gingami I" (silver paper) which also goes by the name G2 in the early Spydercos and GIN 1 in the current Spydercos. (Source).

...CTS-BD1 shouldn’t be confused with CTS-BD1N. While both are products of Carpenter, the latter is a nitrogen-bearing, high carbon chromium modernistic steel that has been balanced to offer superior hardness to CTS-BD1.
I was just answering the OP's questions.

Also, I'd agree that BD1 is probably on par with GIN-1 but I also would not consider GIN-1 to be a "top tier Japanese steel."

Most any aogami, and I might even say shirogami, will out perform BD1 in most all respects. Ginsan probably would as well. And all of those steels can be had in quite affordable knives.

I'm not knocking on the Spydie offerings. Again, just answering the OP's questions.

EDIT: As for BD1N, here we're getting closer but I'd put this more as shirogami and ginsan competitors. I used BD1N in a kitchen knife for some time and it is a steel that in general I like, but I still wouldn't take it over any aogami class steel and probably not ginsan. Despite it's ability to get wicked sharp with little effort, I'm not a huge fan of shirogami so for this one it would be hardness and geometry dependent for me. :smlling-eyes I'd personally put BD1N in more of the VG-10 type class. That being a good, all round, solid stainless that is amicable to mass production and markets.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:13 pm
I was just answering the OP's questions.

Also, I'd agree that BD1 is probably on par with GIN-1 but I also would not consider GIN-1 to be a "top tier Japanese steel."

Most any aogami, and I might even say shirogami, will out perform BD1 in most all respects. Ginsan probably would as well. And all of those steels can be had in quite affordable knives.

I'm not knocking on the Spydie offerings. Again, just answering the OP's questions.

EDIT: As for BD1N, here we're getting closer but I'd put this more as shirogami and ginsan competitors. I used BD1N in a kitchen knife for some time and it is a steel that in general I like, but I still wouldn't take it over any aogami class steel and probably not ginsan. Despite it's ability to get wicked sharp with little effort, I'm not a huge fan of shirogami so for this one it would be hardness and geometry dependent for me. :smlling-eyes I'd personally put BD1N in more of the VG-10 type class. That being a good, all round, solid stainless that is amicable to mass production and markets.
No problem, everyone should speak freely.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Miyabi Birch series uses SG2 (or an analog of it). Their Black series uses ZDP (or an analog they market as “MC66”.)

Cheers
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Zive wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:19 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Miyabi Birch series uses SG2 (or an analog of it). Their Black series uses ZDP (or an analog they market as “MC66”.)

Cheers
Thanks. I didn't know that.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Thanks for all the input. I did know that it'd BD1N. Just a typo that I didn't include the N.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco kitchen knives is another area/sector where I just simply love the "old school" models. I've had the Spyderco K-04 & K-05 models in full SE with MBS-26 blade steel for almost 20 years now and they are virtually indestructible. The K-04 & K-05 models is another example of Spyderco had it right from the get-go. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still using those two models even 10 years from now or longer.

Spyderco's kitchen knives are made with the same quality as all their other great models are. I would recommend them to a 4 star restaurant chef with no reservations. And most chefs I've ever got to know and talked to are very picky about the knives that they work with. I still think that Spyderco's MBS-26 steel models for years have been under-rated and under appreciated. I even would like to see them bring back their Santoku model again>> or any of their other great culinary knives.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I have had the minarai petty for less than a month. This is the only one from the Spyderco Carter series I have, but when I need to replace another kitchen knife I will probably get the Nakiri. I like the geometry and ergonomics and the size is perfect for a petty knife IMO. The BD1N blade is sharp from factory, held an edge well and has not needed sharpening yet so I can't comment on that.

This steel is not comparable to ZDP. I think the Spyderco Carter is a different animal than many japanese knives. You will get the thin edge geometry and japanese handle shape, but the materials are different from traditional japanese knives. For my use of a petty knife I am happy with the stainless and the nylon handles on the minarai knife. I have a japanese Gyuto for my larger cutting tasks and it needs more maintenance as the steel can rust if not looked after.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I got a Counter Puppy to be the knife for all the people in my family who refuse to use knives properly. Man, it's really nice.
Spydeefo

Post by Spydeefo »

My wife has a set of global knives and uses the smallish one (4.3") and the paring knife (maybe 3") the most. Would like to try 1 spyderco kitchen knife. How would the counter puppy compare to the 4.5" utility knife in terms of Easy to cut and edge retention? Don't know about serrated vs plain but I think she uses plain more often. Thx!