Sharing a recent project - chopped Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Sharing a recent project - chopped Kapara

Post by Matus »

foofie wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:28 pm
Matus wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:39 pm
Very clean job, my hat is off.
Thank you - I somehow managed to scratch the blade early on. Seen in some of the pics, roughly parallel to the spine. This is another reason I would consider making it a bit pointier. But that would be grinding A LOT of steel off the spine. I already took a lot off to lose the top hump. Maybe a reason to stone wash it.
Don't worry about that one scratch - my knives usually look worse after first sharpening. The blade shape is great IMO.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

WOOOOOOOOW.

The Kapara is an all-time knife. Detent and ergos are spot on. The only thing that bothers me enough not to put it on the top Spydercos is the weird blade humps that look like camel backs. I just couldn't get the wonky blade design and if the Lil Kapara could fix it, it would be awesome.

This mod took that blade shape and made it into a much much better looking knife. Great work! I rarely pop in here these days but the times that I do, I find gems like this post.

Really really awesome work. Wish the next iteration of the Kapara would have this blade shape and remove the humps entirely.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well done Foofie! I got to see a prototype of the Mini Kapara last year at Blade Show. From what I recall, this looks very similar. Although, yours looks like a finish design product ready for market.

I am one of those that loves the current design and would love to see different iterations of it. However, I am down for any new Kapara design that helps it's popularity. Hopefully we will continue to see it in new flavors.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:29 pm
That turned out great!! Thanks for sharing it!
Nice to see you here again!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Outstanding job! My Kapara just happens to be in my pocket today. And comparing the two you did an excellent job on the mod. I think your finished blade shape most closely resembles the Embassy. Another one of my favorite Spyderco designs. I have been asking for a non-auto version for years.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
cjk

Post by cjk »

foofie wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:36 pm
Recently (finally) found a nice Kapara - thanks @jupaul! I had a first release Kapara, but it was too long for me and traded it off. It's one that I kept thinking about...

So I jumped at the chance to get another Kapara, already with my preferred micarta scales. And 20cv for my inner steel snob ;) I have chopped a few knives, but this was the first time tapping for a new clip. This ended up being the hardest part (planning) - the tapping itself was not difficult. But due to the large holes in the skeletonized liners, there was not much space remaining.

I changed the blade shape a bit - kinda like a Caribbean sheepsfoot or even a Drunken. I am still considering making it a bit pointier. If I had the skill, I would make a nice swedge like the Centofante.

and the finished product:

Looks like there are only two holes for the clip, presumably because the skeletonized liners didn't have material there for the third one. While I like the particular clip that you have chosen, I would suggest ordering one of the MXG two hole clips and call that intentional. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Hey Julia, great that you're chiming in again after quite a long time! :smlling-eyes

Also just saw you've replied to my (pretty "old") pm, I'll reply to yours later!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I would never be so bold, nor could I ever summon such talent. Consider me an admirer.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:59 am
JuPaul wrote:
Nice to see you here again!
Indeed.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
foofie

Post by foofie »

cjk wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:07 am
Looks like there are only two holes for the clip, presumably because the skeletonized liners didn't have material there for the third one. While I like the particular clip that you have chosen, I would suggest ordering one of the MXG two hole clips and call that intentional. ;)
Exactly right. I like my clips pretty deep - will look into the MXG clips. Last time I looked, they were not as deep as the three hole. This is a recycled Para 3 clip with lanyard cutout.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:32 pm
Generally I am more into knives of the original Kapara size, but your "chopped" version looks just perfectly proportioned and as if it would still offer a good amount of cutting edge - could you share the blade length and cutting edge length?
It measures exactly 7 inches open now.
Blade length 3 1/8in
-edit- picture looks weird. It looks like the blade is under 3in and knife just a bit over 7. I guess it is the angle of the camera?

donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

foofie wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:22 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:05 pm
Best post in many days ! Beautiful and congrats . MG2
Thank you. I may need to show my Ikuchi off next. Finished that years ago, but don't think I ever got around to posting it.
... and? :-)

This one looks really nice, btw.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Tried to post earlier, not sure what happened, but wanted to say it looks awesome! I think the Kapara is my favorite of my Spydercos, and the model really deserves more variants as well as a mini version just that size.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

That looks great. I wouldn’t mind a full size version in S30V or S90V with factory micarta.