Your ghost-finders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Your ghost-finders

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:34 pm
[+1]

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:47 pm
[+1]

I guess I just have to dive in.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Someday I'm going to have to get a family photo of all my sharpening stones. To be really honest... I get about as excited about buying new sharpening stones as I do about new knives... and sometimes I am more excited about the sharpening stones!! I also recently bought a little Belomo 15x loupe to help. Should get a microscope of some kind eventually, as the loupe only shows so much, but it has been nice to get a little closer look.

Here are a few photos, just for starters:

First is a Maxamet PM2, on top of a couple Triple B super vitrified stones (400 and 1000 grit), and under all that are a few Naniwa Professional stones. Super Vitrified stones are my favorite stones to use overall. There's nothing like them.

And a little more super vitrified diamond stone and PM2 action

Suehiro Cerax 1000 grit stone, and a Naniwa stone flattener. The Cerax is an interesting stone, my first soaking stone, and I think it's a pretty good deal for around 40 bucks.

And I think this is the first bench stone I ever bought. A Spyderco Fine, about 15 years old. It's not my favorite stone these days, but the Spyderco ceramics can work well for touch ups.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Going to add one more photo: Strop with 1 micron diamond, and Naniwa Professional stones under (400, 800, and 3000 grit). The knife is a Gossman UNK in AEB-L.

And an edit to add my little loupe! Turns out I do have a photo of it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Deadboxhero wrote:

I need to get one of those pull scales so I can tension my BESS filaments more consistently.

That edge lab is super cool, I would love to play around with one sometime.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Deadboxhero wrote:

Nice!

Those folks, are pictures of the enhancement of our hobby.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I have a Sharpmaker, leather strop, green stropping compound and a loupe. That's it for Sharpening.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Deadboxhero wrote:

¡Ay Caramba! That's a sweet setup. The alcohol in the background is used for cleaning edges, I assume?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Weller is some good stuff. But in my experience blades and alcohol end up with my steel getting christened with O positive.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Spyderco Triangle medium, fine + ultra fine kit.
Last edited by Makunochimaster on Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Ruixin with ali "diamond" stones 🤦🏻‍♂️(240-400-600-800-1000-1200-3000 grit) + leather stone.
20x clock-magnifier.
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Deadboxhero wrote:

Now that’s a flex lol. Nice setup!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Been freehand sharpening knives since I was a kid, but never really gave sharpening technique & tools much serious thought until I joined the forum a few years ago so I'm not an expert, elite sharpener like many here. Still, I've accrued a fair number of sharpening tools over the years as I've gotten better at "finding the ghost", so to speak. These are the sharpeners I currently use the most, in no particular order:
  • Spyderco Sharpmaker with CBN & Ultra-Fine ceramic rods: my go-to sharpener for quick touch-ups & for sharpening serrations.
  • Edgelogix Diamond Quad sharpening stone in 150/300/600/1000 grit: it's a budget-priced, 4-sided diamond sharpening stone packaged & sold by a local cutlery store chain but it works really well & is the tool I use the most for full-sharpening/repair/reprofiling of folding knives & fixed-blades up to 10" in blade length.
  • Work Sharp Precision Adjust: my first & only guided angle sharpening system. Works great for what it is, but I still prefer freehand sharpening. I probably get more consistent edges with the Work Sharp just because it locks in the angle, but I am able to sharpen a wider range of blade lengths & shapes at steeper angles with the Sharpmaker (in its benchstone configuration) and the Edgelogix Quad.
  • Edgelogix two-sided 400/1000 grit whetstone: I use this almost exclusively on kitchen knives. Nothing special, just an affordable, no-frills SiC sharpener that lives in my kitchen cupboard.
  • DMT Mini-Sharp keychain sharpener (Fine): The sharpener I keep in my work tool pouch for expedient sharpening.
  • Mastercraft 8" x 7/32" chainsaw file: a tool I use for sharpening strap cutters/rescue hooks, billhooks, large karambits, traditional kris blades, and other unconventionally-shaped blades I can't easily sharpen with my other sharpening tools.
  • Marbles double-sided leather strop: just a simple leather block strop. After I used up the factory pre-loaded green stropping compound, I replaced it with Herold Solingen black stagenpaste (which works better for me).