Triangle Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
euglaw@mweb.co.za

Triangle Sharpmaker

Post by euglaw@mweb.co.za »

Are the sharpening rods (brown stone) of the Triangle Sharpmaker impregnated with the abrasion material right throughout the rods, or does it appear on the surface only? In other words, does the abrasive material wear off and one must buy new stones, or does "new" abrasion material come to the surface as the rods wear? I have a faint recollection that I saw somewhere that one must simply rub the two rods together as they become worn and that that will re-new the abrasive edge of the rods?
yablanowitz

Re: Triangle Sharpmaker

Post by yablanowitz »

They are the same material all the way through and are frangible, i.e. they will wear and expose fresh abrasive. In the video for the SharpMaker you see Sal rubbing the corner of the two brown rods together, a process he refers to as "cracking" to expose fresh abrasive.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the stay.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting question concerning the brown/gray MEDIUM rods of the 204 Sharpmaker. Because they are the only ceramic rods I've ever had to replace on either one of my 204 Sharpmaker kits. It does seem like over time those MEDIUM rods do tend to wear down.

Now I did replace a set of the FINE rods on my very first 204 Sharpmaker about 3 years ago. But it was because after cleaning them dozens of times over the years they developed chips throughout the corners and the flats that happened during the cleaning process. But after about 18 years of very hard use I'm not really complaining. I've never had one of the Ultra-Fine Stones ever need replacing. And I bought my first set of Ultra-Fine stones around 2002-2003 I think it was.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:49 am
Interesting question concerning the brown/gray MEDIUM rods of the 204 Sharpmaker. Because they are the only ceramic rods I've ever had to replace on either one of my 204 Sharpmaker kits. It does seem like over time those MEDIUM rods do tend to wear down.
Do you think the brown/medium stones actually wear down faster than the others or is it because you've used them more?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

According to Sal, the white rods do not wear appreciably, only the brown rods will. The fine and ultra fine rods will last until you break (or chip) them.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Euglaw,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I used the same SM stones for about 14 years then bought new sets.

My old ones gave a noticeably more polished edge than the new ones, comparing brown to brown and white to white.

While the old stones still worked great, I prefer the faster cutting and more aggressive edge of the newer stones.

I keep the old stones stashed away in different places, like a single UF at work for my SE Zcut and a single medium rod in my glove box for on the go touch ups. I use the new set for sharpening at home.
:unicorn
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

I just bought a sharp maker for the first time. I have many very expensive sharpening systems and they will put a razor edge on a knife, but they are a pain to use and take a great deal of time to set up and configure correctly. For 80 bucks and a simple to use system this Spyderco tool is great. It’s quick, simple and will sharpen adequately. If i maintain my edge there isn’t much need for the more abrasive stones. I really appreciate this tool in the kitchen where my wife is so hard on knives. I can quickly sharpen all the kitchen knives so she can abuse them.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:39 am
They are the same material all the way through and are frangible, i.e. they will wear and expose fresh abrasive. In the video for the SharpMaker you see Sal rubbing the corner of the two brown rods together, a process he refers to as "cracking" to expose fresh abrasive.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the stay.
Kick, not ricasso when talking folders. Thanks for that reminder, Yab.

Friable, not frangible when talking Spyderco’s brown stuff?

Both brown and white stuff are frangible (as is some range ammo), that is, easy to break, as when dropped on concrete from, say, 6 feet up.

But only the brown stuff is friable, that is, reducible to powder, with dishing or uneven wear the result, and fixable with a lapping plate.

So, like you, Yab, I’m not quibbling about word choice. There is a deeper distinction to be understood.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yup, gettin' old and sometimes my words get mixed up. I don't always flip far enough in the old mental Rolodex. If you know what that is, you may be a geezer too.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Geezer, here, for sure, but definitely manly in my own mind, friable though it seems to be.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think a rub down with a Magic Eraser sponge to clean them would freshen the stones back up. It did mine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:37 pm
I used the same SM stones for about 14 years then bought new sets.

My old ones gave a noticeably more polished edge than the new ones, comparing brown to brown and white to white.

While the old stones still worked great, I prefer the faster cutting and more aggressive edge of the newer stones.

I keep the old stones stashed away in different places, like a single UF at work for my SE Zcut and a single medium rod in my glove box for on the go touch ups. I use the new set for sharpening at home.
I dropped one of my white stones 😫 and had to replace it… the new stone has a much different feel, I prefer it actually, and I prefer the finish it gives to the older stone. I have always cleaned them with a mild abrasive cleaner like barkeeper’s friend. I confess I used comet until I found out about BKF though.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I use a magic eraser sponge as well.
FaithfulPastor

Re: Triangle Sharpmaker Rod Cleaning

Post by FaithfulPastor »

I have never tried the Magic Eraser. I have tried the soft white pencil erasers. I buy them in a 3 pack at Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars. They do a great job with little mess.

Do you have to wet the Magic Eraser?