Best Blade Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Best Blade Steel

Post by elena86 »

Cruwear has the best balance of properties and decent corrosion resistence. I would chose XHP or SPY27 when it comes to stainless steels for plain edges and H1 for serrations.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

my 2 favorites have been k390 and its stainless m390.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

MIDWESTKNIFETRADER wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:51 pm
I'm sure this has been covered before but it would be nice for the new people to hear. What is the best
all around blade steel? No better place to ask this one.
Thanks
Adam - Kansas City
Last year this was a much more complicated question, today the answer for most applications is MagnaCut.
You can get basic carbon steel that's a bit tougher, or higher alloy steel with a bit more endurance, or specialty steel with a bit more corrosion resistance, but MagnaCut is an invention that combines all three attributes of steel significantly better than any other steel type ever before.

MagnaCut is relatively new on the market and the steel industry is not quick to change, you're going to see MagnaCut slowly gain adoption in the coming years.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

We are quite happy for that too Sal.
z1r

Post by z1r »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:32 pm
As mentioned, everyone has their own thoughts, opinions and experiences. All steels look the same, so the "eye" carries less weight.

From my point of view, I'm pleased that you could get examples of the material to "experience", can discuss your personal flavors, and a place to share thought.

sal
Agree. I find it enlightening when I see someone post an experience with a steel that is 180 degrees out from my own. Makes me reexamine how I do things. Most often this is in regards to sharpening.
MIDWESTKNIFETRADER

Post by MIDWESTKNIFETRADER »

Well I'm definitely glad I asked. I will certainly consider your valued opinions when choosing a new blade.
Thank you very much
Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.

John Adams
MIDWESTKNIFETRADER

Post by MIDWESTKNIFETRADER »

I'm probably going to need to aquire at least one example of each of these choice alloys.
The abbreviation for the type of steel on Spyderco knives is such a draw because there is much variety.
Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.

John Adams
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:27 pm
"No best, All Good, just Different"
That's really all that needs to be said

I have a whole bunch of different steels and Sal's statement is spot on
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MIDWESTKNIFETRADER wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:53 am
I'm probably going to need to aquire at least one example of each of these choice alloys.
The abbreviation for the type of steel on Spyderco knives is such a draw because there is much variety.
I don't have all the different steels that Spyderco's used but I have most of them. The variety is amazing
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I think the best blade steel is whatever blade you have either in your pocket or in your hand. Don’t matter how good it is if it ain’t on you.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Here's a table/chart that I made for myself to target, what I would consider, the "best" blade steels. The data came from Dr. Larrin Thomas' fantastic website. I did take the liberty with K390's toughness rating, based on Larrin's article(s) on it, since there isn't an official test on that one yet.

The concept revolves around adding up all the cumulative properties (edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance) to see which steels have the most "area under the curve", so to speak. This doesn't take into consideration things like hardness differences, which can make one steel have preferential properties vs another one. I also excluded any steel with an edge retention rating below 5 or toughness rating below 4, since that's my personal bare minimum for a "good" knife steel.

The "Goldilocks" steels were chosen based on my own preferences, and steels like S35VN are more-or-less exchangeable with others at the same level like S30V and Elmax. I prefer S35VN over those two since it's a little tougher than S30V and cheaper/more available than Elmax.

Just a different way of looking at things; by no means are these actually the "best". In general, I agree that there isn't such thing is a best steel. They're all different and it just depends on what you need from your knife.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

My only preference is stainless steel only, and nothing brittle or hard to sharpen. So I generally choose based on design rather than steel.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:00 am
my 2 favorites have been k390 and its stainless m390.
This covers it for me as well.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I enjoy all steel for different reasons. So my answer would be "gifted steel" bcuz someone worked the hours, or bartered for my behalf. Generosity, kindness, thoughtfulness, to me that makes the best steel. I make a point to experiment with all the knives i own anyways. So the mindset is to find the best outlet to enjoy every steel regardless.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."