Warranty woes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Re: Warranty woes

Post by Paraguy »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:27 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:12 am
If we were face-to-face you would not be so brave keyboard warrior.
That’s the funniest thing I’ve read in a while. And I can say that because I’m definitely bigger/scarier than you. The difference is I don’t go around using it as a threat.

Also, I cannot possibly imagine calling a pocket knife company and yelling at the person trying to help me on the other end of the line. Truly baffling. It doesn’t matter what the situation is, that’s way out of bounds.
Let's not rub it in his face. He already made a public apology, which is better than him yelling at customer service and not saying anything at all.
As a side note, I'm interested as to why you're so certain you are "bigger/ scarier" than him? I'm not trying to start another argument - I'm just curious. All I know is that judging by the pictures I've seen of Chuck James' hands I wouldn't want to get in a fight with him... So I guess what I'm really asking is how big are your hands if their bigger than the hands of a man who seems to think his are bigger than Chuck James' (again not trying to start anything...) :squinting-tongue
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Personally, I think we should settle all disputes with hand size competitions... In fact someone should start a thread
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

"Talkin Story";

A smart man once told me this; Every time you get mad and vent on someone, put a nail into the fence. After you see there are many nails in the fence, go back and apologize to the people on whom you vented. After you've apologized to them, take the nail out of the fence. After all of the nails are removed, look at the holes in the fence that remain. An apology may remove the nail, but leaves the hole.

Mad is bad! If you are not in control of yourself, who is?

Just my opinion.

sal
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:07 pm
As a side note, I'm interested as to why you're so certain you are "bigger/ scarier" than him? I'm not trying to start another argument - I'm just curious. All I know is that judging by the pictures I've seen of Chuck James' hands I wouldn't want to get in a fight with him... So I guess what I'm really asking is how big are your hands if their bigger than the hands of a man who seems to think his are bigger than Chuck James' (again not trying to start anything...) :squinting-tongue
I agree with you, which is why I edited my post. Turns out you’re quick on the draw and quoted me before I deleted what I wrote.

As for your question; I’m 7ft1 and 310lbs. I’m taller than 99.9% of the world’s population. It’s a safe bet I’m bigger than everyone on the forum.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:44 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:07 pm
I agree with you, which is why I edited my post. Turns out you’re quick on the draw and quoted me before I deleted what I wrote.

As for your question; I’m 7ft1 and 310lbs. I’m taller than 99.9% of the world’s population. It’s a safe bet I’m bigger than everyone on the forum.

I didn't catch that your name is "The Giant" - dead giveaway right there. :squinting-tongue

P.S. Still waiting on hand pics from the both of you...
Last edited by Paraguy on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm
"Talkin Story";

A smart man once told me this; Every time you get mad and vent on someone, put a nail into the fence. After you see there are many nails in the fence, go back and apologize to the people on whom you vented. After you've apologized to them, take the nail out of the fence. After all of the nails are removed, look at the holes in the fence that remain. An apology may remove the nail, but leaves the hole.

Mad is bad! If you are not in control of yourself, who is?

Just my opinion.

sal
Great point Sal! We can't just pull out the nails and be done with it. We have to fill those holes in with carpenter's putty. "I'm sorry" is rarely enough but it is better than nothing.
"Some call me...Tim?"
fixall

Post by fixall »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:08 pm
Personally, I think we should settle all disputes with hand size competitions... In fact someone should start a thread
I won't be winning any disputes any time soon, lol.

Is that what the holdup is Sal? Are my hands too small? :P
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Another data point for anyone interested..

On Thursday, March 24, I finally got around to dropping my lock-poppin', CT-dated Siren into the mail on its way to Spyderco W&R for replacement. I didn't email or call ahead or anything.. just filled out the W&R form, boxed up my Siren as instructed, dropped it off at the PO, and hoped for the best. Tracking showed the knife was delivered in Golden on Monday, March 28. On Friday, April 8, I received a UPS tracking email stating that a package from Golden was headed my way. Today, April 13, my brand-new, solidly-locking, AV-coded Siren arrived, along with a cookie-cutter W&R letter stating that my knife had been replaced, and the $5 bill that I had sent in with my faulty Siren to cover return shipping.

Spyderco handled the claim within two weeks of receiving my package, which is inline with what they are currently claiming, as far as I'm aware. All said and done, including shipping time both ways, I received my new Siren just under three weeks after I mailed out my old one. I'm happy with the results here.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
fixall

Post by fixall »

I got an update on what is going on with my Siren the other day.

When I first contacted Spyderco about the issue, it was before the Siren fix was announced. Since there were no Sirens in stock, I requested that my Siren with "pop-up" be swapped out with a Waterway. The Waterway has been produced for awhile, so they didn't have any inventory. So that's what caused the hold-up.

Now they are just waiting to hear if I want to swap out the Siren for a CQI version, or wait for the Waterway to come back in stock. I have no idea how long the wait for the Waterway will be, so I'm not sure what to tell them. I slightly gun-shy about going back to the Siren, but I probably shouldn't be.
vivi

Post by vivi »

my new Siren has been rock solid for what its worth.
:unicorn
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ +1. I got a chance to examine my new Siren more thoroughly when I got home last night.. definitely feels like they've worked out all the kinks with the lockup.. it is now extremely stable with no indication of any pop-up.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:27 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:12 am
If we were face-to-face you would not be so brave keyboard warrior.
EDIT: Not worth it. Nevermind.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
sal

Post by sal »

fixall wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:24 pm

When I first contacted Spyderco about the issue, it was before the Siren fix was announced. Since there were no Sirens in stock, I requested that my Siren with "pop-up" be swapped out with a Waterway. The Waterway has been produced for awhile, so they didn't have any inventory. So that's what caused the hold-up.

Now they are just waiting to hear if I want to swap out the Siren for a CQI version, or wait for the Waterway to come back in stock. I have no idea how long the wait for the Waterway will be, so I'm not sure what to tell them. I slightly gun-shy about going back to the Siren, but I probably shouldn't be.

Charlynne is still waiting for your decision?

sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:03 pm
fixall wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:24 pm

Charlynne is still waiting for your decision?

sal
I spoke to Charlynne earlier this afternoon and will have a CQI Siren on the way soon. :)

Thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx, She was concerned that you get what you want.

I think you will enjoy it. It's a good design (thanx Lance), It's well made and it performs well.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:56 pm

I think you will enjoy it. It's a good design (thanx Lance), It's well made and it performs well.

sal

Sal and many others, also in other threads - you almost "give me no other choice" than finally getting a Siren myself ;) :smlling-eyes - even more so since I enjoy Lances fixed blade design, the Waterway, a lot.
It is just that lately we´ve been really blessed with larger backlock Spydies (the kind of EDC I personally prefer) - Chief (especially the upcoming LW), Stretch XL, the ffg Pac Salt, and so on... a great "problem" to have deciding which one to try first, cause trying them all eventually is a must.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:40 am
sal wrote:

sal

Sal and many others, also in other threads - you almost "give me no other choice" than finally getting a Siren myself ;) :smlling-eyes - even more so since I enjoy Lances fixed blade design, the Waterway, a lot.
It is just that lately we´ve been really blessed with larger backlock Spydies (the kind of EDC I personally prefer) - Chief (especially the upcoming LW), Stretch XL, the ffg Pac Salt, and so on... a great "problem" to have deciding which one to try first, cause trying them all eventually is a must.
I’m not trying to put pressure on you , but…… :smlling-eyes
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:40 am
sal wrote:
I’m not trying to put pressure on you , but…… :smlling-eyes

You don´t have too anymore, my friend ;)

I actually wanted the Siren right when it came out - could "hold myself back" only cause I was hoping for an FRN version soon, told myself it would be very similar to my beloved Enduras anway and actually don´t need the level of LC s rustproofness...

But I think it is time soon now to finally get one. And I am pretty sure this is a model to stay...

And concerning LC200N: What I never really considered is the benefit of it´s very high toughness!! This could imply several things,let´s say compared to VG10: For example that LC blades can be used a bit "harder", perhaps can take steeper edge angles and so on...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Hi there! A first post and a big thank you to Spyderco!
They sent a brand new Siren to Europe - completely free of charge (no shipping, no import taxes, no custom duties) to replace my old Siren. What can I say - great service and well done!
The new Siren is excellent of course :smiling-hearts
Best regards
Stefan
fixall

Post by fixall »

CQI Siren came in yesterday. Just in time for steelhead season next month.

I tested it out and the replacement is not showing any signs of popup whatsoever. :)