K390 Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toucan

K390 Chaparral

Post by Toucan »

I find myself carrying a K390 Dragonfly more than anything now because it's small, high performing, and economical.

The Chaparral LW is also small, high performing, and economical.

I find myself often wanting a Chaparral again when I use my Dragonfly.

The Dragonfly's lock rock is pretty noticeable, and there is a bit of side-to-side play that just can't be tightened out. The Chaparral's internal stop pin and liners just make such a satisfyingly solid knife that it has become the back lock to which I compare all other back locks.

Anyways, my minor grievances with the K390 Dragonfly are not performance based, so I can't really justify going back to the Chappy. I love K390 more than I am displeased with the rickety lock up.

Still, I dream of the day when the all around wonderfulness of the Chaparral is combined with the power of K390. It is probably a bad idea to pitch a knife on the grounds that it would obsolete another, but dang, a K390 Chaparral would replace my K390 Dragonfly in a heart beat. I'd also love to see white FRN (or pale beige?) so the already people-pleasing Chaparral could be even more dialed in to a person's tastes.

Anyone else have strong feelings about the ideal of a K390 Chaparral? Does the Taichung Factory have K390 capability? Is it a bad idea to pitch a hypothetical knife on the grounds that it would make other models less desirable? Is the Chaparral a Delica-killer or actually a Dragonfly-killer? Is that a stupid question because all well-designed knives have their niches and intrinsic value?
sethwm

Re: K390 Chaparral

Post by sethwm »

I'm of the mind that none of these knives are killers of each other. While I personally do find the chaparral "better" than the delica and dragonfly, I do love those other two as well, and still enjoy swapping between them. Of course, I'm a huge seki backlock fan (see my signature), so maybe I'm just biased. :)

I'd buy a k390 chap with white FRN scales.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Toucan wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:04 pm
I find myself carrying a K390 Dragonfly more than anything now because it's small, high performing, and economical.

The Chaparral LW is also small, high performing, and economical.

Anyone else have strong feelings about the ideal of a K390 Chaparral? Does the Taichung Factory have K390 capability? Is it a bad idea to pitch a hypothetical knife on the grounds that it would make other models less desirable? Is the Chaparral a Delica-killer or actually a Dragonfly-killer? Is that a stupid question because all well-designed knives have their niches and intrinsic value?

Well, at least there is the possibility that the Chap LW could get some variants indeed - I started a thread about this quite recently, including a Sal-quote that gives some hope in that direction - see here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92165#p1614611
(perhaps you´d even like to put your K390 proposal there too, just so that that thread could act as a "list" of wishes concerning Chap variants - ?)

I use my Chap LW pretty often, and often in really NOT for just that "light duty" tasks people for whatever reason claim it should be only capable of, so I know how it outperforms most other Spydies just as a great cutter, while still being really strong.
Can´t weigh on the DFly though, just held, but never really tested that model.

Where the Dly shines for me is its extremely light weight - but the great thing about the Chap is: Just about 7 % longer than the DFly when closed, but offering about 22 % (!) more blade - in the unique 2mm ffg (the DFly has 2.5 mm) - this makes the Chap a lot more versatile for me

/ I have to try K390 yet, but I guess the "logical" next step (also concerning success on the market) should probably not another tool steel, but a rustproof alternative to XHP? Chap Salt in LC or MC? (Though I personally would prefer K390).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:29 pm
I'm of the mind that none of these knives are killers of each other. While I personally do find the chaparral "better" than the delica and dragonfly, I do love those other two as well, and still enjoy swapping between them. Of course, I'm a huge seki backlock fan (see my signature), so maybe I'm just biased. :)

If I absolutely had to choose, the Chap would be more of a "Delica killer" than a "DFly killer" - Chap and Delica are more similar to me than Chap and DFly, Chap and Delica are closer in weight, and the Delica offers just about 8% more edge than the Chap, while the Chap offers 22% more edge than a DFly.

To me Chap and Delica are both very small folders, while the DFly is just tiny.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have two Chaparrals, the SE Salt Dragonfly in H1 and the wharnie version in K390 and I like it this way. More than having just "the one". I mean I don't believe in one size fits all and uniformity in general - even though the Delica is not my cup of tea, I understand it is popular.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

After being on and off with the idea of getting a Chaparral, I ordered one yesterday. I know I would love k390 version as I intend for the Chap to replace my Urban k390 for small work around the house. And my experience with k390 has so far been very positive.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:39 pm
sethwm wrote:

If I absolutely had to choose, the Chap would be more of a "Delica killer" than a "DFly killer" - Chap and Delica are more similar to me than Chap and DFly, Chap and Delica are closer in weight, and the Delica offers just about 8% more edge than the Chap, while the Chap offers 22% more edge than a DFly.

Have you overlaid the chaparral and the dfly while closed? The chap is very similar in the pocket to the dfly.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:39 pm
sethwm wrote:

Have you overlaid the chaparral and the dfly while closed? The chap is very similar in the pocket to the dfly.

No, I actually haven´t

But I know that in closed size the Chaparral is closer to a DFly than to a Delica, while in edge/blade length it is just the other way round (as said in my first post here: Chap just about 7 % more closed length than a Dfly, but about 22% (!) more blade!)

It is just like that for me the Chap and the Delica both still fall in that "full sized for a very small knife" category, while the DFly, though cool, is just tiny anymore - mostly, but not only, cause it offers really not much cutting edge.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I love the Chaparral (have it in four handle treatments) and I love K390 (have it in five models).

I also love Spyderco’s feature-focused series because their Edge-U-Cation impulse appeals to my historical and philosophical side. You’ll know the Sage series (I have the first five) pays homage to locks and their designers.

The XHP Chaparral and S30V Sage series each brings into focus what they feature by keeping their steels “unnoteworthy”.

Well, until Maxamet entered the picture on the new Sage1. I wish it hadn’t (I like consistency) but that’s Spyderco’s call. Seems to me a K390 Chaparral would therefore not be a wrong ask.

But I’m fine with what I’ve got.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I think it would be a great choice of high retention blade steel that is not as brittle as Maxamet for a 2mm thin blade.
z1r

Post by z1r »

It would certainly be a great model. My first instinct is to say, Heck ya I'd buy one. But, thinking about it, the Chap is the knife I tend to carry when I can only carry one knife. Small but a decent sized blade. For what I use the Chap for, the XHP works just fine. But I sure wouldn't say no, I'm sure I could find a use for a 5th Chap anyway.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I would have to buy this one. My current favorite carry is a Delica K390 with CF scales. I think the chaparral is an overall upgrade on the Delica, although I do love the Delica.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have received the Chapparal in FRN just a few days ago and I am looking into the details and keep comparing it to an Urban (I have borh k390 and N690co). While I love k390 and can understand the wish to get it in this model (pretty much in nearly every model, to be honest), I can't help the impression, that few would use it enough to really profit from the improved edge retention over the XHP (which is about a factor of 2, give or take). The Chap was made as very thin (sadly, not behind the edge), lightweight, unobtrusive little EDC that disappears in the pocket - and those attributes don't combine all that well with a knife that would get a lot of use over longer period of times and thus bring the k390 properties to shine.

This is my first XHP knife, so I can't talk from first hand experience, but I would have more interested in Magnacut. But not because the steel is 'in' and people wish for it in every single knife Spyderco ever made since the dawn of time, but simply because it has about the same edge retention, but MUCH improved rust resistance AND excellent edge stability - what would leave room for (gentle) custom regrinds and super thin edges. Now that is something that would make a lot of sense to me.

Just my personal impression.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Matus wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:34 am
I have received the Chapparal in FRN just a few days ago and I am looking into the details and keep comparing it to an Urban (I have borh k390 and N690co). While I love k390 and can understand the wish to get it in this model (pretty much in nearly every model, to be honest), I can't help the impression, that few would use it enough to really profit from the improved edge retention over the XHP (which is about a factor of 2, give or take). The Chap was made as very thin (sadly, not behind the edge), lightweight, unobtrusive little EDC that disappears in the pocket - and those attributes don't combine all that well with a knife that would get a lot of use over longer period of times and thus bring the k390 properties to shine.

This is my first XHP knife, so I can't talk from first hand experience, but I would have more interested in Magnacut. But not because the steel is 'in' and people wish for it in every single knife Spyderco ever made since the dawn of time, but simply because it has about the same edge retention, but MUCH improved rust resistance AND excellent edge stability - what would leave room for (gentle) custom regrinds and super thin edges. Now that is something that would make a lot of sense to me.

Just my personal impression.
I just got rust in my chaparral for the first time this weekend. Helping my daughter cut Easter Candy in half to share. Got caramel or nougat or something on the blade, left out for a while, then washed it and saw spots. Funny because I’ve literally dropped my chap before into the pacific and then put it straight back into my pocket with no effect.

Oh well nothing bar keepers friend won’t buff out immediately, but I’d +1 magnacut.

edit: yup one square of paper towel, one spray of BKF, and 15 seconds of light buffing and good as new.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:34 am

Hey Matus,

yes, I guess the Chap is not very thin behind the edge for how thin it (and the blade) is overall - needs some work (thinning out) to totally bring out the benefits of the thin blade.

As for not being a knife that "would get a lot of use over longer period of time": Not specifically made for that, no doubt!
But as I always ask: If you like, do try out the Chap in "harder" tasks, and also for longer periods of times - at least as much or long as you would use other small Spydies like Delica, Para 3 or Native - I´d be really interested how you actually find it to be in such applications, concerning ergos, comfort and stability in hand. For me it does more than "not bad" for how thin it is, and I personally like using it in the outdoors also for smaller tasks that take some more time - sometimes I suspect that the thin, extremely well performing blade actually requires less force and thus takes stress away from the hand.

Just me of course, and I don´t expect at all that you or others would confirm my personal and subjective experiences! Just interested in yours.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I absolutely will give it more use and see how it works for me. I am planning a comparison to Urban, just need to find the time for it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:26 pm
I absolutely will give it more use and see how it works for me. I am planning a comparison to Urban, just need to find the time for it.

Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions, whatever they may be! :smiling-cheeks