Polestar in bd1n?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
juggler

Re: Polestar in bd1n?

Post by juggler »

Smyles1977 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:58 am
It is now in BD-1N steel with Grey G-10. Unfortunately the Denim G-10 was changed.

I'm not sure about the Polestar, but there have been batches of the Alcyone with both BD1N steel and the blue/grey denim G-10. They're probably harder to find now, though.
Attachments
alcyone.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

juggler wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:17 am
Smyles1977 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:58 am
It is now in BD-1N steel with Grey G-10. Unfortunately the Denim G-10 was changed.

I'm not sure about the Polestar, but there have been batches of the Alcyone with both BD1N steel and the blue/grey denim G-10. They're probably harder to find now, though.
Yup. Two separate changes. I think only the most recent batch has the grey g10, while it's had bd1n for a while. You might be able to find new old stock stock with the patterned scales, but probably best to call and verify if it's important to you.

I think the original g10 looked better, but I can see it being polarizing. Most people like grey or at least don't dislike it.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have what I hope is grey model coming in the mail.

This quote from Sal is what finally got me to jump. I was intrigued by a "smaller Military".
sal wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:39 am
<snip>
I guess you deserve some history;

The purpose of the original design was to be a smaller military that would work for the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. The Alcyone was the smaller version. I felt that the two designs would be a good offering for Scouts. They could learn knives with quality piece, Walker Linerlock for easy one hand close with gloves, small enough, and large enough for good work. Made in China, by one of our good makers so it wouldn't be hard on the pocketbook.

<snip>
sal
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bjz

Post by bjz »

I recently picked up an older version alcyone with the “denim” handles and bd1 steel. When I chose it, it was over a bunch of other Spydercos in hand. I kind of wish I also threw down on the polestar!

I’m still trying to figure out what edge treatment works best for this steel and blade geometry but as far as the whole package is concerned, they are very very nice knives, period!

Extremely thoughtful design and great fit and finish. I half wonder if these would have done better as the value line knives that received s35vn. Either way, they are fantastic