Serrated Sprint Runs Wanted? Let's Get Serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Serrated Sprint Runs Wanted? Let's Get Serious

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:21 am
Lil Temp 1.0, rhino blade, teeth. Sprint.
Let’s get weird :)
I previously owned one fully Serrated, Leaf Blade version of the original Lil Temperance model. For the time I owned it and and two to three times I used it I was amazed at how much of a beast it was for no bigger than it was.

My favorite Lil TEMP model was the "Rhino Horn" model. And I often wondered why they never made the "Rhino Horn" version of the Lil T in full SE. Because the other variants of the Lil T with TEETH were awesome.

BLERV I couldn't agree with you more on your selection!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:18 am
I'd be far more willing to pay extra for serrations than for carbon fiber or colored G10.
Other than the ULIZE did you have any other specific models in mind? What about the Breeden Spyderco models?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:22 am
Blerv wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:21 am
Lil Temp 1.0, rhino blade, teeth. Sprint.
Let’s get weird :)
I previously owned one fully Serrated, Leaf Blade version of the original Lil Temperance model. For the time I owned it and and two to three times I used it I was amazed at how much of a beast it was for no bigger than it was.

My favorite Lil TEMP model was the "Rhino Horn" model. And I often wondered why they never made the "Rhino Horn" version of the Lil T in full SE. Because the other variants of the Lil T with TEETH were awesome.

BLERV I couldn't agree with you more on your selection!
Oh cool. I thought the rhino came with serrations so I learned something new. Thanks JD!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:25 am
Evil D wrote:
I'd be far more willing to pay extra for serrations than for carbon fiber or colored G10.
Other than the ULIZE did you have any other specific models in mind? What about the Breeden Spyderco models?

Well, I meant just in general with cost because someone mentioned that making a die to cut serrations might add to the cost. I would even pay more for serrations than specific steels up to a point. I'm getting to a point where I have practically no interest in PE models whatsoever unless it's a steel I want to play with and I can only get it in PE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:59 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Well, I meant just in general with cost because someone mentioned that making a die to cut serrations might add to the cost. I would even pay more for serrations than specific steels up to a point. I'm getting to a point where I have practically no interest in PE models whatsoever unless it's a steel I want to play with and I can only get it in PE.

Same here!

I mean, in a way serrations make for a "different or even better steel", right?

VG10 for example, while I also like it in PE, for me gets a clearly better steel in SE - and actually DOES have better edge retention (like imo all SE blades over their otherwise similar PE siblings)
And actually one gets a longer cutting edge with SE too...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:04 am
Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Same here!

VG10 for example, while I also like it in PE, for me gets a clearly better steel in SE - and actually DOES have better edge retention (like imo all SE blades over their otherwise similar PE siblings)

For me the performance tradeoffs for SE vs PE are as significant as steel vs steel to other people. Like I said, up to a point. In other words I'd happily settle on VG10+SE if it finally gets me a SE Ulize instead of holding out for a SE Ulize in MagnaCut.
~David
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I'm on the hunt for a SE knife now....haven't had one in decades.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

I'd definitely like serrated runs.

• PM2 MagnaCut
• any DLC PM2
• Sage 5
• Chaparral (in something more stainless than XHP)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:04 am
Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Same here!

Thank you!! Because VG-10 is one of the very few blade steels that I've found over the years that excels in PE & SE both. I owned probably 3 to 4 plain edged VG-10 blades before I landed my first one in full SE and I was really pleasantly surprised. Because at that time in Spyder-History I had gotten about 3 Spyderco full SE models in AUS-8 which I still think it is a great
blade steel for full SE models. The original, full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman is one model that I still use on a weekly basis. Up till recently I still had an old AUS-8 RESCUE model which I traded to a friend>> because I mostly use my Stainless Handled RESCUE with ATS-55 blade steel in full SE and it's a powerhouse of a performer.
But again VG-10 is really a decent performing blade steel in PE & SE both.

And if Spyderco wants to use up some old, left over bar stock of AUS-8, 440V, ATS-55 for any fully serrated Sprint Run they have my vote.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I keep coming back around wanting a SE Native Chief every time I see one. I think I'd really like it. This is less of a sprint request and more of a wonder as to why it's not already a standard production option like the Shaman has.
~David
max808

Post by max808 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:35 pm
And if Spyderco wants to use up some old, left over bar stock of AUS-8, 440V, ATS-55 for any fully serrated Sprint Run they have my vote.
+1

To quote the great Reverend
"Yes please, may I have one of each?"

Curious how a YoJumbo would do with at least a combo edge on it. In my dreams it has a slight dodo/cricket profile and Veff serrations, like my old CRKT big dog in 440 did... :cheap-sunglasses
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’d like a SE Military in a non-black handle. I also would pick up a SE endura in K390. The SE Siren would be another I pick up.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

blueblur wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:46 pm
I’d like a SE Military in a non-black handle. I also would pick up a SE endura in K390. The SE Siren would be another I pick up.
Yeah a Salt version of the C-36 Military in full SE would be great. The C-36 Military model in full SE would be a great folder for extremely hard uses. I've used my M390 Military for some really brutal jobs over the years and never had one failure ever. A well constructed Salt version of the C-36 Military model could take on virtually any hard cutting job. I'm 100% confident.

I like both your other suggestions as well.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:07 am
blueblur wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:46 pm
Yeah a Salt version of the C-36 Military in full SE would be great. The C-36 Military model in full SE would be a great folder for extremely hard uses. I've used my M390 Military for some really brutal jobs over the years and never had one failure ever. A well constructed Salt version of the C-36 Military model could take on virtually any hard cutting job. I'm 100% confident.

I like both your other suggestions as well.
I strongly agree with you. Part of the reason I carry a Military is that it can handle hard-use, in addition to being a very comfortable knife to use for prolonged periods. Yes, there is a limit as far as hard-use with any folder but I’ve put some of my Millies through tough jobs without a single problem. Another thing I like about the Millie is how comfortable it is to use while wearing gloves. For me, most of the time when I’m wearing work gloves, I’m encountering cutting tasks that I prefer to have a serrated edge. This is where my serrated Police 4 K390 comes in. The back lock also works well with gloves. I would love to have a serrated Millie for jobs that require gloves, even though I would probably also use it for my normal, everyday cutting tasks.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I want a serrated Millie, but I don't want you t to be a sprint. I dream big.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:34 pm
I would love to see it as a production model too but for now, I’ll take whatever I can get. Sprint run, exclusive, anything. Same with the Chief, if anyone is listening. ;)
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Leeman1

Post by Leeman1 »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:13 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:34 pm
I would love to see it as a production model too but for now, I’ll take whatever I can get. Sprint run, exclusive, anything. Same with the Chief, if anyone is listening. ;)

Eric and Sal
We want a serrated Millie and Native Chief!
Preferably something new in the steel department, don’t get me wrong S30V is good, but we would like more options. Sprint, exclusive, whatever you want, it will sell well!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

K390 or REX45 Native 5 LW and Chief LW would be super nice. I know K390 is mainly used in Seki but they did some PM2s and all before ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Razor G43

Post by Razor G43 »

Evil D wrote:
What Evil D said!
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would welcome a Millie, a Chief, and an as big as possible hawkbill.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10