XHP - toothy or polished?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: XHP - toothy or polished?

Post by JD Spydo »

One item that most folks are overlooking. And that is the fact that CTS-XHP blade steel is also great in full SE. There aren't too many blade steels I've found that are great in PE and SE both. But XHP and VG-10 are two that immediately come to mind.

And yes XHP can be honed to a very wicked plain edge. I love the XHP Millie. The Military model and the Para2 models both are excellent blades to determine how a certain blade steel can perform.

I just wish they did more tests on serrated edges. It's funny because many of the steels that people reject sometimes are great blade steels with serrated edges.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:41 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:31 am

Hey "rabbit", haven't "heard" of you in a long time it seems -?! Did you take a break?

Welcome back anyway! :smlling-eyes
whats up wartstein, it has been awhile, work got crazy then got covid twice, finally getting back to normal life and knives.

Sounds like you had a hard time indeed - glad things have gotten better for you again as it seems! :smlling-eyes

And good you´re back!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

On the chap I use a Japanese water stone, take it to 1,000 grit and use the leather belt on my belt sander. It’s actually the same as I do with all my knives.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

sethwm wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 pm
Hey good folks, I'm nearing my first sharpening for my Chaparral. Curious what the collective minds here thing would be the ideal finish on this? Should I got to a mirror? Stop at something toothy like 300 grit range? Something else?

I use a KME for what it's worth.

Thanks!
Sharpened a Shaman/XHP today....Extremely sharp is an under statement!!!! :O

This is how it turned out. :face monocle

Image Image
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Chuck James wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:29 pm
sethwm wrote:
Hey good folks, I'm nearing my first sharpening for my Chaparral. Curious what the collective minds here thing would be the ideal finish on this? Should I got to a mirror? Stop at something toothy like 300 grit range? Something else?

Thanks!

Image Image
Freehand or guided?
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:29 pm
sethwm wrote:

Thanks!

Image Image
Freehand or guided?
Wicked Edge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:06 pm
I think xhp is versatile with coarse and medium grit finishes so it depends on how one actually cuts with the knife. I would guess the kme diamond stones are the ones your most likely to use, so id try the 1500 finish. The cutting edge is not that long, so having more push cut prowess is what i would try first. Ive never used the kme system or stones before so im making assumptions based on DMT stones i have used in the past. Half the fun is experimenting with different finishes to see where longevity, preference, and performance are evaluated simultaneously.
I agree with most of what you've said. I've had some success with XHP being fully finished with an ULTRA-FINE stone and I've done well just using FINE too. I also find XHP to be great in both PE & SE both. I wish someone beside myself would sing the praises of XHP with TEETH and that Spyderco needs to make one premiun SE folder in XHP. A very good friend of mine first showed me a COLD STEEL folder in Full SE with XHP and I was impressed to be sure.

Also my C-36 Military model in XHP is a long term keeper for sure. It's a good blade steel in many respects.