Hello all, new member here.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eagle1*

Hello all, new member here.

Post by Eagle1* »

Hello gents,

Just joined and am looking forward to learning about these knives. I have had a Delica (pic below) for a very long time and the plastic clip broke off many years ago so I ended up sanding off the rest of it and making it a pocket knife. The knife has been a very great companion for many many years. I just bought another Delica wharncliffe blade and it should be here in a day or 2.

I am getting interested the Spyderco's and going buy some more of them since I have been full circle with many brands and not been impressed over the years and since this Delica has been a great blade, I am thinking these knives will fill the bill for me for a long time.

I have been a long time member of the USN as well so I know some things about other brands of knives but not much about these Spyderco's which is why I joined. Thanks for the add...
Attachments
delica 2.jpg
delica 1.jpg
In God we trust, ALL others are checked through NCIC
legOFwhat?

Re: Hello all, new member here.

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome to the forum!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Eagle,

Welcome to our forum.

That's an old knife you have there. FYI, I designed that model on an airplane flying from Hawaii to Denver. It was our first FRN model Thanx to Blackie Collins for introducing us to FRN when he designed for Gerber.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome! you have a similar story to me. my first pocket knife was a ladybug. many years passed and many more knives before i came back to spyderco for a pacific salt. i'd warn you to be careful, but it's more fun to start building a collection, which your new delica will probably lead you to.
:)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Welcome to the forum!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you enjoy the time you spend here . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome Eagle 1*
sal wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:50 pm
That's an old knife you have there. FYI, I designed that model on an airplane flying from Hawaii to Denver. It was our first FRN model Thanx to Blackie Collins for introducing us to FRN when he designed for Gerber.

sal
Sal I really enjoy when you chime in with information like this!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard Eagle!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I’d recommend checking out their USA made knives for one of your next ones. The last few bought have been the best finished production knives I’ve seen, they keep getting better. An enjoyable brand on so many levels, the forum itself being one of those levels. Hope you have fun.

Haven’t been on USN in years but I picked up a Forum knife there I still use and enjoy. In this pic it was missing a pivot screw that had come loose and Spyderco sent me a new one free of charge.Image
fixall

Post by fixall »

Welcome!

You’ve come to a great place if you want to learn more about Spyderco knives. This place is pretty special.

You’re in for a treat with the Delica Wharncliffe. It’s a phenomenal knife!
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Eagle,

The Delica Wharncliffe was actually prompted by a forumite here on our forum, Jazz. Many here refer to it as the "Jazzlica". He asked for it and had some really logical reasons for the shape. We made a prototype for him to test at work. He said it did the job he wanted it to do, so we went into production.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum. We are a happy bunch of enablers. Many of us went the rounds of other brands and then stuck with Spyderco.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Eagle1* wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:31 pm
Hello gents,

Just joined and am looking forward to learning about these knives. I have had a Delica ,,,,,,,

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

- For me the Delica still is the best small Spyderco (actually best small folder of all brands), especially in its superlight, rustproof (and linerless) Salt version (= Salt 2, which on top offers a tad more blade and edge than the Delica 4).
(This is if one categeroizes the Chaparral FRN as "tiny" not just "small", like I do)

- Really curious how you´ll like your wharnie Delica 4 compared to your old one:

>The new one should slice better, due to ffg vs sabre grind
>And you also get an a bit longer handle
> The tip will be a bit different too: For one pointier (due to the ffg vs sabre grind), but still robust due to the spine drop, that the old Delica does not feature
Did you get your new one in SE (like the old one) or in PE

PS: Just for your info: Not just "gents" here, but also some ladies...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

welcome to spyderco, the fastest way to spend money. no really tho there are some great ppl on here and a massive selection of knowledge. I also started out with a delica that looked like yours but mine was plain edge. from there i got a delica 4. it was nice with the steel liners felt solid, so i bought more expensive knives (pm2, manix, para 3) and have not wanted to go back.
just about anything you would want to learn about knives there is probably someone here who knows and will help you out.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hello!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

It’s getting addicting. I can’t stop watching videos on knives. I also constantly want to go to the local knife store like it’s a toy store now.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Eagle1*

Post by Eagle1* »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:48 pm
I’d recommend checking out their USA made knives for one of your next ones.
Would love to know how to tell if one is made in the USA since I am new here... Great looking USN mini knife too btw, what model is that made on?
Last edited by Eagle1* on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle1*

Post by Eagle1* »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:50 pm
Hi Eagle,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks for the info on this blade, neat that one of the owners and/or employees of Spyderco actually reads and follows the posts on your company forum.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome to the forum!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"