Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If there is a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill, will you be acquiring 1 or more units?

Yes
71%
No
19%
Maybe
10%

Total votes: 142

ZrowsN1s

Re: Are you interested in a new run of Spyderhawk hawkbill?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have an H1 Spyderhawk, so a Magnacut would be top of my list, Flat Grind LC200N would have my interest too, PE H1 as well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

We've not even sent a sample of Magnacut to our Seki Maker to get familiar with using it. So if Magnacut is the most desired, might be 2024?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double tap

sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:25 pm
We've not even sent a sample of Magnacut to our Seki Maker to get familiar with using it. So if Magnacut is the most desired, might be 2024?

sal
MagnaCut is compelling but I'd love LC200N too.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

sal wrote:

sal
I'm a patient man. I have several spyderhawks to hold me over.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Which plants or facilities can get Magnacut into production the soonest? Seems Golden has a head start, but Taichung would be nice also.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The magnacut people dont speak for the rest of us.

If lc200n/h1 is faster and cheaper then I would gladly take that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:28 pm
sal wrote:

sal
MagnaCut is compelling but I'd love LC200N too.
Yeah I would also be much more intrigued with LC200N on a full SE Spyderhawk model. I would also like to see a SUPERHAWK model in full SE with an LC200N blade as well.

I'm sure "Magnacut" is great material but Hawkbill blades are a different animal and don't really require a blade steel that excels in plain edges. I haven't even heard if they 've tested Magnacut in full SE yet.

A PE Superhawk model in Magnacut would sort of make sense. Because the SUPERHAWK mdoel is a somewhat different Hawkbill in many ways.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I realized I basically repeated myself a few posts back, but every time I see this thread pop up, I get the same thought and I'm surprised nobody is chasing this with me..

Hawkbill Civilian.

The handle is so much better suited for the kind of pull cuts you do with a hawkbill, and ergonomically I like it so much more than an Endura handle. I guess the biggest issue would be with cost with it being Seki/G10. Maybe it's time for a FRN Civilian LW too?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
max808

Post by max808 »

sal wrote:

sal
Looking forward to it Sir. Have a good one!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:52 am
I realized I basically repeated myself a few posts back, but every time I see this thread pop up, I get the same thought and I'm surprised nobody is chasing this with me..

Hawkbill Civilian.

The handle is so much better suited for the kind of pull cuts you do with a hawkbill, and ergonomically I like it so much more than an Endura handle. I guess the biggest issue would be with cost with it being Seki/G10. Maybe it's time for a FRN Civilian LW too?
I would be all over a larger Super-Spyderhawk type model with a Civilian model handle instead of an Endura handle sized unit.
I could do a lot more with a Hawkbill in that size range. Yeah I like that idea!!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love another Spyderhawk in LC or H1, but not in salt colors.

Maybe Burgundy :winking-tongue
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:29 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:52 am

Hawkbill Civilian.

I would be all over a larger Super-Spyderhawk type model with a Civilian model handle instead of an Endura handle sized unit.
I could do a lot more with a Hawkbill in that size range. Yeah I like that idea!!
I would 100% be in for a Hawkbill Civilian. All I would stipulate is that, like in our discussions about the FRN Superhawk and Reverse S Superhawk, the tip be made suitably sturdy for EDC use.

As for the Spyderhawk, if LC200N will get it there faster, we can always do Magnacut in the future. Then again, a Magnacut Spyderhawk or (Magnahawk)might help drive sales and expose more people to a pretty awesome design instead of just us Hawkbill AFI's? The steel has a big draw.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
max808

Post by max808 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 am
Magnahawk
+1

#Magnahawk2023

Q4 maybe?
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I am absolutely into a new spyderhawk and would probably buy w or 3 if they aren't crazy expensive.

A civi-based spyderhawk would be amazing but I'm not sure what it would cost.

H1 is a great steel for SE, but I'd be good with LC200N or Magnacut for sure. I'd like to see how magnacut does on serrations, but it doesn't necessarily have to be THE serration master, a large SE hawkbill.

I would buy one of anything described above, but I'd probably buy a few if it comes in at under 150 bucks or so, I might buy a few at 200 but these are incredibly useful blades, I don't think a new superhawk will sell much better than the original did, even with SE.

And a fairly stout tip would be nice. The tip is the only thing I have mixed feelings about on my Spyderhawks I've owned and carried, the H1 tip is soft and bends easily. So maybe LC200N. Magnacut at a decent RC should not roll so easilt and would be great, but I'd rather buy LC200N in a year than Magnacut in 3 (honestly, if things keep going well for me, I'd be interested in both but it's not practical to build everything forumites love the idea of, maybe try a moderately priced one and consider other changes in time, magnacut should be a better known steel for heat treat procedures (which I understand are critical to getting the best out of it, and somewhat specific).

Please make more Spyderhawks, I'm down to 1 again.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The first run of H1 spyderhawks had a stronger tip than the last orange sprint. I bent both of them but the orange tip rolled all the way over. The yellow H1 bent a little and was easily fixed.

I've shared this a few times but it really drives home how durable H1 is

After bending it back

I don't know what i hit to bend it. To bend it back I rubbed the tip off the corner of a vise and it bent back. H1 has its limits though. After bending it back I used the tip to pop up a stuck drain on a sink.
James Y

Post by James Y »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:35 pm
The first run of H1 spyderhawks had a stronger tip than the last orange sprint. I bent both of them but the orange tip rolled all the way over. The yellow H1 bent a little and was easily fixed.

I've shared this a few times but it really drives home how durable H1 is

After bending it back

I don't know what i hit to bend it. To bend it back I rubbed the tip off the corner of a vise and it bent back. H1 has its limits though. After bending it back I used the tip to pop up a stuck drain on a sink.

I've had that happen on the tips of a few H1knives. Especially on a couple Tasmans. One happened only a couple weeks ago, I don't know how. I bent it back straight by drawing the non-presentation side on the corner of a SM white rod. I did the same with my Dragonfly Salt that I accidentally dropped tip-first onto a linoleum floor.

Jim
Kale

Post by Kale »

sal wrote:

sal
Magnacut should take the Spyderhawk to the next level... would be a must-have in the garden.
razehound

Post by razehound »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Agreed. Magnacut is cool, but you know what's better than a marginal improvement in steel? Actually having the knife! LC200N is great, and would suit the knife well.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

razehound wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:34 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Agreed. Magnacut is cool, but you know what's better than a marginal improvement in steel? Actually having the knife! LC200N is great, and would suit the knife well.
I couldn’t agree more with both of these statements. 👍👍
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026