Cheap DIY Scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Cheap DIY Scales?

Post by Scandi Grind »

Hi folks, I just joined this form form because I have been a fan of Spyderco designs and quality after thoroughly researching the numerous options available, but do not yet own one... does that disqualify me from being here?? :grin-sweat :rofl OK but before anyone is tempted to say yes just to tease me, let me explain why I hopped on hear. I like quality knives and want a Spyderco of course, but I don't have a very big budget, so I usually end up looking at Civivi instead, because they are cheaper and have comparable quality to the best in the industry. But I still want a Spyderco.

I have considered saving and buying a Delica or Para 3 Lightweight or Native 5 Lightweight, but I don't want to spend that much and have plastic handle scales forever. Nothing wrong with FRN, it just is something I would want to upgrade eventually if I were to actually invest in a Spyderco. However most of the after market scales I've seen are about as expensive as the knife itself, so I have been wondering if any of the above mentioned knives are possible to make DIY scales for to accomplish an inexpensive upgrade. I don't have any fancy tools but I thought I could get some metal: brass, copper, aluminum maybe, or make some home made micarta and copy the shape of the scales. I just wasn't sure if there are any more complicated parts that I can't see from the outside that I would have to account for in the shape of the scales.

Any one have any insight on the feasibility of making DIY scales for the Delica, Para 3, and Native 5?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
sal

Re: Cheap DIY Scales?

Post by sal »

Hi Scandi Grind,

Welcome o our forum.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Unfortunately, there is not really a cheap way to make those scales. They require precision machining and expensive tools, hence the cost. I'd buy the knife and decide if you think you "need" different scales down the road. FRN is great stuff for a lot of reasons and you might be happy with it.

If you're dead set on upgrading scales yourself, it's easier to upgrade a g-10 liner lock model. They tend to be easier to disassemble and have construction that lends itself to easier scale builds.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I don’t know of anyone making scales for the Para 3 LW or the Native 5 LW because they are linerless. You can get scales for the Delica from Flytanium, g10it and others. If you don’t want FRN, I would just save up and buy a model with G10, etc, honestly.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Buy a G10 ....that way you won't need to upgrade to anything. 😁

I make fixed Blade knives and would not attempt to make folder DIY scales....so for a novice not a easy option
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Even doing them yourself with minimal tooling would cost a bit. And some full FRN knives are really hard to make custom scales for !

I would say save a bit more for a G10 version if you prefer that. Or make sure you buy something that has a lot of custom scales options, and buy a set later on ( it'll cost you more than buying a model with G10 though, even for the big difference between Native 5 LW and Native 5 G10).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Welcome to the Forum!

There are also models like the Astute, Tenacious, Persistence, and Efficient in G10 that you can find around $50. Will not break the bank and IMHO have great quality.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I second Jeff's advice :)

FRN is high quality, and I'd even say that on the Native 5 it is something impressive. There 's little to no give.
The Astute is really interesting, lot of edge for a small package. The Efficient carries its name properly too, and I see it as a Native 5 with linerlock ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:39 pm
I like quality knives and want a Spyderco of course, but I don't have a very big budget, so I usually end up looking at Civivi instead, because they are cheaper and have comparable quality to the best in the industry. But I still want a Spyderco.
Maybe the Byrd Meadowlark G10 could be an option? It's blade shade is similar to the Delica and similar in overall size. I own both Byrd 8cr and Civivi 9cr, I cannot perceive any edge retention difference after their second fresh edge, though the 9cr may be a bit less prone to rolls.
Matus

Post by Matus »

My cheap DIY scales 😁
9BAAF6EE-B224-4F21-AB4B-BE20C2DD4444.jpeg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Take the money you would end up spending on a drill press and just buy whatever knives you want.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:46 am
Take the money you would end up spending on a drill press and just buy whatever knives you want.
Don't know about Scandi Grind , but for me that would be a very expensive drill press.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

@Scandi Grind, BladeHQ did a video about this very thing 4 years ago. You can make your own micarta. And you can machine it too. You can do all this with hand tools. You will need to learn to “measure twice and cry once”as some contractor/builder saying goes.

All of this is doable, you will need learn measurements really really well, and be ok with failure a few times (failure is how you will learn.) buy a ruler and a pair of calipers, this and epoxy and sandpaper might be all you need to start making scales.

https://youtu.be/re_xo8_3ZeM

If your goal is to truly understand knife design… this is the way.

If all you want is a nice pair of custom scales, you should just save up your money (the road to making your own, is both amazing and very difficult.)

The Chinese made Spyderco’s as Jsumm has said are a good place to start.

Go on Spyderco’s site and go to the dealer search and look for a dealer near you. Handle these models you think you like, in my opinion that’s the best way to gauge what you might like starting out.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really depends on the construction of the knife as to how easily you can make scales. The Delica uses nested liners which will really complicate the process. By comparison you could make scales for a Manix 2 much easier because they're just slabs that fit onto the outside of the liners. This is probably a small part of the cost you're seeing for custom scales, but also because people are just willing to pay what makers are asking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

G-10 version are _much_ easier to upgrade scales on. However, it is possible to upgrade scales on FRN versions--you just need more pieces. I had Cuscadi make me custom g-10 scales for my (FRN) ZDP delica many years ago, and they work great.

I've made scales for several folders now, and I'll say that it's well worth the $80-$100 for custom, if you aren't interested in the actual process. It's _a lot_ of work to do a one off. Setting up a system to repeatedly make them will drop the price, but it will definitely take a fair bit of initial investment (especially in time and work).
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

It's going to be cheaper and easier to just buy a knife that already has G10 handle scales, whether that ends up being a Chinese Spyderco, a Native 5, or a Para 3.

The Delica, as mentioned above, has nested steel liners, which makes it the only one of the three that can accept custom scales. Having said that, there are quite a few people who generally don't like FRN, but really like the Seki FRN. That's one of the reasons why some prefer the Delica over the Para 3 LW or Native 5 LW. If you are on a budget, the Delica is an excellent model to start with. If you buy one and don't like the FRN after using it for a while, save up and get some custom scales.

Whatever model you decide on, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:39 pm
Hi folks, I just joined this form form because I have been a fan of Spyderco designs and quality after thoroughly researching the numerous options available, but do not yet own one... does that disqualify me from being here?? :grin-sweat :rofl OK but before anyone is tempted to say yes just to tease me, let me explain why I hopped on hear. I like quality knives and want a Spyderco of course, but I don't have a very big budget, so I usually end up looking at Civivi instead, because they are cheaper and have comparable quality to the best in the industry. But I still want a Spyderco.

I have considered saving and buying a Delica or Para 3 Lightweight or Native 5 Lightweight, but I don't want to spend that much and have plastic handle scales forever. Nothing wrong with FRN, it just is something I would want to upgrade eventually if I were to actually invest in a Spyderco. However most of the after market scales I've seen are about as expensive as the knife itself, so I have been wondering if any of the above mentioned knives are possible to make DIY scales for to accomplish an inexpensive upgrade. I don't have any fancy tools but I thought I could get some metal: brass, copper, aluminum maybe, or make some home made micarta and copy the shape of the scales. I just wasn't sure if there are any more complicated parts that I can't see from the outside that I would have to account for in the shape of the scales.

Any one have any insight on the feasibility of making DIY scales for the Delica, Para 3, and Native 5?

Welcome aboard!

It is definitely do-able if you have the skills and appropriate tools. A skilled woodworker or machinist could make scales from wood, Richlite, or soft metals using hand tools* only for the models with liners, but it would take time, skill, and patients. You can make mockups using cheap woods like pine or basswood, then move on to better materials. Try to find a used Delica 4 to save even more money. It won't be easy and I would be extremely unlikely to attempt it myself.

Alternative, keep saving and then get the model you really want.

*A router would make it easier, but chisels have been used to make mortises for centuries. Think of a mortise for a hinge.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Well, thanks for the input everyone! :grin-smiling-eyes I think this helps me get the proper perspective on the investment it would take to make scales myself. I probably won't want to attempt it any time soon, but maybe someday in the future. I like the suggestion to look for a used Delica. Is there a good place where people go to sell used pocket knifes, or is it more like you just find them places like ebay? I'll also take a closer look at some of the Chinese Spidercos and Byrd.

Also, I love the cardboard and toothpick scales Oloung1! :hand-over-mouth

-- Old Norse proverb
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Whoops, I meant Matus's scales.

-- Old Norse proverb
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Scandi Grind, if you want to do this project you'll at least need a router (for recessed liners) if your gonna do the Delica or Para 3 lw. But you'll also probably want a drill press and a belt sander. I know Harbor Freight sells a semi-decent drill press and a functional 4 x 48 belt sander for cheap. (I have both) You'll probably need to go to the Home Depot for the router.
I wouldn't advice trying to make scales for the Para 3 lw it because it would be very difficult to get all the tolerances right. The Delica wouldn't be too hard as long as you have a steady hand and a VFD router set to a low speed. The Native 5 lw might actually be the easiest to do because you wouldn't need to use a router; however you will need threaded inserts. - good luck!
"Some call me...Tim?"