Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Vivi,

Have you got around to giving some love to that 4V Native Chief yet?? Interested in what you think of it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:25 pm
Hey Vivi,

Have you got around to giving some love to that 4V Native Chief yet?? Interested in what you think of it!
Not yet. I've been sticking to the M4 satin version when I carry a Chief. I've been trying to get a good patina going on it. I'll mess around with the 4V one someday though.

Been carrying an old Pacific 1 SE beater lately. I've been maintaining it on the sharpmaker. Diamond rod at 15 degrees for the bevel, then 20 degrees for the edge. Followed by a couple of strokes on the brown rods.

The well worn edge cuts a lot different than a fresh one. It was really beat up when I bought it and I had to do a full reprofile to get a good edge on it.

:unicorn
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Took the afternoon to knock off the convex shoulders from learning to freehand on my yojimbo:
All done on the diamond sharpmaker rods with a little wedge to bring the inclusive angle down a few degrees. This is the first time I’ve been successful in putting a “Vivi” edge on anything other than O1/1095—I’m excited to see how it performs!
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:25 pm
Hey Vivi,

Not yet. I've been sticking to the M4 satin version when I carry a Chief. I've been trying to get a good patina going on it. I'll mess around with the 4V one someday though.

Been carrying an old Pacific 1 SE beater lately. I've been maintaining it on the sharpmaker. Diamond rod at 15 degrees for the bevel, then 20 degrees for the edge. Followed by a couple of strokes on the brown rods.

The well worn edge cuts a lot different than a fresh one. It was really beat up when I bought it and I had to do a full reprofile to get a good edge on it.

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Put a fresh edge on the SE Delica Wharny. It was originally sharpened to about 13 degrees by leaning the blade into the rod. After the initial reprofile I sharpen the front side at 15 degrees with the CBN rods and use the fine rods on the back to remove the burr. It goes through cardboard like it's warm butter.

-Turbo
Moltion

Post by Moltion »

Hey i have the precision adjust too but my clamp seems not good at holding knives. I can push the knife with one finger out of Position. Do any of you have the same issue?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Moltion wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:49 am
Hey i have the precision adjust too but my clamp seems not good at holding knives. I can push the knife with one finger out of Position. Do any of you have the same issue?
Use less pressure when sharpening. Some knives I've sharpened I've only been able to get the outter part of the clamp to fit correctly on one side. Using a light touch when sharpening, which you should be doing anyways, works pretty well. Though I do keep a close eye on it, especially when turning it over to sharpen the other side.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

3095390C-6D50-4ED5-B4DB-C4454E127C3A.jpeg
I was finally able to put a hair whittling edge on a knife freehand. Lil Native S30V
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:11 pm
3095390C-6D50-4ED5-B4DB-C4454E127C3A.jpeg I was finally able to put a hair whittling edge on a knife freehand. Lil Native S30V
Nice work! What equipment did you use to get there?
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:11 pm
3095390C-6D50-4ED5-B4DB-C4454E127C3A.jpeg I was finally able to put a hair whittling edge on a knife freehand. Lil Native S30V
Nice work! What equipment did you use to get there?
Thanks! I have DMT diamond bench stones in Coarse, Fine, and Extra Fine. For stropping I used a DLT large paddle with Wicked Edge diamond emulsion in 4, 2, 1, and .5 micron. Off the coarse stone it was hair shaving, off the fine it was hair popping, and off the extra fine it was hair popping and making smooth wavy cuts in paper. Stropping got me the final bit extra I needed.

ETA - I use the DMT stones dry.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Edge was a little beat up on my Pacific Salt I've been carrying, so I touched it up tonight.

15 degree slots with diamond rods until there is no microbevel. Deburred as best I could.

20 degree slots with the medium rods, only two strokes per side. Enough to significantly refine the edge without polishing off all of the microserrations from the diamond rods.

Stropped twice per side on the edge of my notebook cover.

Perfect combination of smooth cutting & slicing aggression. I really like this method of sharpening for both PE and SE. Get a clean bevel off a very coarse stone, then refine the apex some, but not enough to remove all the deep micro serrations. Extremely versatile performance.

https://streamlala.com/UJHx9/
olywa

Post by olywa »

Smooooooooth..... How are the corners on your Diamond rods holding up?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I was watching Star Trek Entreprise and just saw that, I immediately took a screenshot to share with the class !

Appears to be a fine tri-angle rod for the sharpmaker. Their marketing is strong, going up to Andoria.
Might be diamond though, hard to tell :

Sorry for this, just started watching Star Trek for the first time, it got me good.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:49 am
Appears to be a fine tri-angle rod for the sharpmaker. Their marketing is strong, going up to Andoria.
That's hilarious. You should add it to the movie sightings thread. I think this qualifies.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67866&start=200
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

olywa wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:22 pm
Smooooooooth..... How are the corners on your Diamond rods holding up?
Quite well. Definitely smoother than a fresh set but they cut fine. None of my diamond sharpeners have ever worn out, only gotten worn in. Still have 20 year old DMT's I use every week.

Sometime this year I plan to order a new sharpmaker and a set of CBN rods. I'll use this old beat up one as a dedicated work sharpener and keep the new one at home.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yeah, my DMT plates have been troopers as well. My free-hand sharpening on plain edges is pretty darn impressive. But I'm finally trying to get competent at sharpening serrated edges and I'm using the corners on my Sharpmaker diamond rods more than I ever have in the past.

Thanks to you and others here I'm starting to refine my technique and seeing positive results. But my early efforts were a mess and cleaning those edges up has me spending a lot of time on the corners of my Sharpmaker rods as well as my Goldenstone and Doublestuff 2. Trying not to apply more pressure than is needed has been a challenge for me.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:49 am
I was watching Star Trek Entreprise and just saw that, I immediately took a screenshot to share with the class !

Sorry for this, just started watching Star Trek for the first time, it got me good.
Dude, great catch!

We watched Star Trek together (my first time) over the pandemic. Enjoy, it's a really great series!

Somewhere around here there's a "Spydercos Caught on Film" thread, full of spottings in movies and TV shows.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote: That's hilarious. You should add it to the movie sightings thread. I think this qualifies.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67866&start=200
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 am
Dude, great catch!

We watched Star Trek together (my first time) over the pandemic. Enjoy, it's a really great series!

Somewhere around here there's a "Spydercos Caught on Film" thread, full of spottings in movies and TV shows.
Thanks guys, forgot about this thread !
I might have noticed one in MacGyver or in Stargate, I'll have to find it again and check the thread ^^

Shran won't get a good edge with the angle he's taking on that bevel though...
I decided to watch Star Trek from the beginning (only saw movies 6 and 7 when I was a kid), so the "Entreprise" show seemed to be the best choice.

I'll stop derailing the thread now :shush
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm surprised that they aren't re-aligning that edge at the molecular level with the replicator.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Make me feel normal. Do any of you remove the little unsharpened section towards the ricasso on the Seki line? Sometimes I get it on the first sharpening. Other times, I don't have the patience or time, so a work away at it over the course of multiple sharpenings. First sharpening of a new Pac Salt. I am almost there, but will get the rest on the next sharpening. I will admit, once I got a little to aggressive removing it from a model and accidentally added a sharpening choil. :grimace

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005