Only thing worse than losing a knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coastal

Re: Only thing worse than losing a knife

Post by Coastal »

Ladybug would be almost exactly the cutoff point for me. Anything cheaper, okay, give it up... Anything more expensive, I'm stashing it.

Unless I felt bonded with the knife, then I'm stashing it, period.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I feel your pain twinboysdad. I did the same to myself, forgetting that I had a small blade on my key chain when I walked into a Lakers game. Looking back at that, I can see now that throwing that blade away resulted in a surge in my knife buying. I think I ended up "replacing" that knife about 15 times before I completely rid myself of that horrible memory. I feel fine now though. ;)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Lol!!! ^^^^^^^ That.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

At least you know you've got to replace it. Boo I love my Ladybug Hawkbill
airborne91

Post by airborne91 »

I almost lost a GB air that way. I was furious because it was at the State Fair where they are showing animals. Every single person that was there showing animals had a knife on their belt. Luckily my wife was with me and she hid it in her boot. passed the metal detector off as hitting on the steel shanks in her boots.
Knife laws and security are a joke.
sorry to hear about your loss. losing a knife is one thing but knowingly giving it up is too painful.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

This is literally my worst nightmare in carrying knives. That I forget it is there and try to walk into a place that doesn't allow it and being too far away from home or my truck. I'm sorry for your loss.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:29 pm
I’m too stubborn, I wouldn’t toss it. I would go hide it somewhere outside the event venue and retrieve it on my way out after. Actually I went to a Redbull event in Boston years ago and had to do exactly that. There’s a risk it won’t be there when you go back for it but I’d rather take that risk than throw it away.
my friend did this with his benchmade, but someone saw and took it
vivi

Post by vivi »

Why toss it instead of hiding it in a bush or similar? Were you in a long line with no option to turn around?

There's been a few times I've forgotten a Leatherman Micra on my keys when going to court. Never trashed em, just hid them outside the building. Last time I just reached as high as I could and stuffed it in a crack between a few bricks and it was still there when I got out.

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:06 pm
That does suck, but I’d say the act of losing it not on purpose is still worse. At least when you’re the one getting rid of it you have time to prepare yourself and rationalize what’s about to happen, and say ah well this sucks, but It’ll be fine I have to do what I have to do then I’ll replace it, then give it a kiss goodbye. But loosing it randomly and it falling out of your pocket and skip into a nearby storm drain. Now that’s a breakdown for me
I've only ever lost one knife in my life without being able to recover it, and I still go out and look for it from time to time.

I was in some woods near our property doing some camping, testing out a new compact one person bike touring tent.

Had my SE blacked out Pacific Salt 1 with me. The one I used to post nearly every day in the What's In Your Pocket thread a couple years ago. The one that got me into serrated knives.

Normally have zero issues keeping track of black, brown or foliage green knives in the woods. Never been a blaze orange kind of guy outside of hunting season for safety from hunters.

But I got home from that trip, realized I left my knife behind, went out to look and never saw it.

Looked a few more times, and same thing.

I plan to go look again. Been enjoying the Pacific 1 a lot the last week and it's made me miss that one in particular.

Cool thing is if I ever find it, it'll be in perfect shape being a Salt. Just one more reason why that model is "the one" for me.

Thought about buying a metal detector and bringing it out there, but H1 knives seems to often not get noticed by them. I've taken my Pacifics through a few of them and waved the wand style detectors over them with zero response.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:07 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
I've only ever lost one knife in my life without being able to recover it, and I still go out and look for it from time to time.

Reminds me a bit of "my" story with an Endura I lost some years ago.

In my case though it was at night and somewhere on a trail that covers a vertical distance of bout 1200 meters / about 4000 feet (so a much longer distance one has to actually walk) - could be anywhere on that trail, which on top is heavily overgrown, so I had no chance of finding it when I came back looking the next day.

Still, to this day, I sometimes run or hike that trail somehow hoping I´ll stumble over that Endura, which is extremely unlikely of course.

But I really liked that particular knife: It was my first ffg Endura, that showed me what ffg can take also in a longer, thinner blade and how well it performs. And I like that "Endura blue" this ones scales had (still have, actually - somewhere... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I remember reading a post in another forum (probably on BF) many years ago, where a guy had forgotten he had a fairly new Delica in his pocket as he went to the airport. Right before he got to security, he tossed it into a trash can, seemingly without thinking twice. Oddly enough, IIRC, he didn't seem overly upset about it. His attitude about it seemed to be "Oh, well..."

Personally, I don't know if I could have done it. It sure as heck would have bothered me. The cost wouldn't be the only factor; also the fact that a perfectly good knife, even a fairly inexpensive one, ended up in a landfill.

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I would do anything but throw it in the trash.
Even throwing it randomly into a nearby bush or something would be better. If you don't find it, someone else might. What a great potential treasure for a curious kid, and best case; potentially recruiting a new knife/Spyderco enthusiast.

(Somewhat) related story: One day when my dog was about 4-5 months, we were walking through a nearby forest area. The dog was running free, but still being quite young he would mostly keep within comfortable distance of me and I usually knew just about where he would be. Suddenly he increased his speed and I could see he was on to something, a more determined attitude. He was only out of sight for a minute or so, and upon returning towards me, he held something in his mouth.
What he delivered to me was a very distressed fixed blade in a leather sheath. By the way it looked and the shape it was in, it must have spent at least one whole winter out there.
This was obviously not left in the forest by the owners choice, but it was such a cool experience. The dog got a big treat in return and had a great experience, I got a knife that is now in perfect shape after a little restoration work. A lost knife is never fun for the owner, but in this case there was at least a lot happy coincidence down stream of that misfortune. Something that a knife in a garbage bin can never facilitate (except maybe in some rare occasions of dumpster diving).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:07 pm
Why toss it instead of hiding it in a bush or similar? Were you in a long line with no option to turn around?

There's been a few times I've forgotten a Leatherman Micra on my keys when going to court. Never trashed em, just hid them outside the building. Last time I just reached as high as I could and stuffed it in a crack between a few bricks and it was still there when I got out.

Tristan_david2001 wrote:

This (though the "reaching high" thing might be especially good in your and "Giant 80"ies case ;) - and probably still a good idea with my almost 6.2" too)

Though I think buildings, parks whatever that don´t allow certain items, should definitely have lockers where people can stash those!

We have no restricting knife laws where I live, and till a few years ago people could even bring folders to court.
Then, sadly, a judge got actually attacked with a knife (of course a kitchen knife and luckily he was not severely hurt) - so now they actually check on the entrance to the curt, if one carries a knife or "potentially weapon like item", even with a metal detector.
But they DO have lockers for free where you can put stuff before entering court.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I would have had to break it in half before throwing it away just out of spite, because someone who works there probably got it out of the trash after you left.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

I once saw a man asked to remove his belt in a Social Security Office, and told he could not enter the office with it.
He removed it and put it into a trash can.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely stinks. But, at least it wasn't some kind of sprint/exclusive nor that expensive. That's what I would tell myself to calm myself down a bit...because I know I'd be a little hot as well.

Back in 2018 we went to a local concert that normally you don't get checked for weapons at this particular venue. I had my newly acquired olive drab G10 SV30/DLC PM2 on me and security saw the black clip against my tan cargo shorts. The security guy was pretty cool and said this band requests a security check and that's why he had to take my knife. He said he could tell it's a nice one and would set it aside and took my phone number so I could claim it after the show, he said that he would still be there. I was a little skeptical and worried, thinking about it most of the show. Sure enough after the show I approached the guy and he remembered who I was and handed it back without any issues. After that, I think we attended two other concerts before Covid hit and I didn't carry any knife on me.

Which makes me think, why can't every place do something like that?? If you're carrying something not allowed, just set it aside and have the owner give some kind of info after the event they present them with and then you get your property back? Doesn't seem that difficult. Of course depending on the size of the event.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I would've hid it somewhere too providing it was reasonably convenient. That way there's still a chance to retrieve it after. Throwing it in the trash there's no chance of getting it back

It kills me that a golf course won't let you carry a small pocket knife. I've had a few near misses in the past few years but I'm not sure I would've had the foresight to leave my pocket knife in the car
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:09 am
Definitely stinks. But, at least it wasn't some kind of sprint/exclusive nor that expensive. That's what I would tell myself to calm myself down a bit...because I know I'd be a little hot as well.

Back in 2018 we went to a local concert that normally you don't get checked for weapons at this particular venue. I had my newly acquired olive drab G10 SV30/DLC PM2 on me and security saw the black clip against my tan cargo shorts. The security guy was pretty cool and said this band requests a security check and that's why he had to take my knife. He said he could tell it's a nice one and would set it aside and took my phone number so I could claim it after the show, he said that he would still be there. I was a little skeptical and worried, thinking about it most of the show. Sure enough after the show I approached the guy and he remembered who I was and handed it back without any issues. After that, I think we attended two other concerts before Covid hit and I didn't carry any knife on me.

Which makes me think, why can't every place do something like that?? If you're carrying something not allowed, just set it aside and have the owner give some kind of info after the event they present them with and then you get your property back? Doesn't seem that difficult. Of course depending on the size of the event.
Only place I've seen do that was a hospital that got mad I had a Leatherman Micra with me. They held it for me, then I walked in with my Pacific Salt that they didn't notice :rofl

I've worked security at a lot of different venues. Concerts, sporting events, dance clubs, bars etc. When I'm able to, I've always told people if they took an uber or are otherwise in a situation where they can't put their knife or gun back in their car or home, that I'll take it into the back and secure it for them. Works great. Avoids a potential argument and everyone goes home safe and happy.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I would never hand my gun to a stranger to be in charge of for multiple hours. Not even a security guard!!! I would sooner not go into the concert than do that.
-Nick :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:14 am
I would never hand my gun to a stranger to be in charge of for multiple hours. Not even a security guard!!! I would sooner not go into the concert than do that.
Amen!!
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I have definitely buried a knife to enter a concert.