G shock

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cao87

G shock

Post by Cao87 »

Hi I ordered my first g shock and I’m going to get adapters from vario (jaysandkays) do you know what width would of strap look good and what companies do good quality straps
Evil D

Re: G shock

Post by Evil D »

Depends on what watch you're buying, I'd message them on eBay and ask, that's what I did.

I like Maratac straps, specifically I really like the Mil Series straps, they're like a NATO strap but without all the metal loops, and I like to put mine on the watch and put it on my wrist and get it adjusted how I like it and then trim off the excess strap so the end is flush with the buckle. It makes for a nice low profile strap.

https://countycomm.com/products/maratac ... ries-bands
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I love G-shocks, its the only watch I wear 99% of time. I have 3 at the moment I rotate through, my first was a cheap $45 model I wear at work for last 6 yrs, still going strong. I was really impressed by its toughness so I bought 2 more higher end models-- a Rangeman and a GWG-1000 Mudmaster! Unbelievable quality on these watches. I even bought my mother, wife, daughter baby G-shocks.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

The thing i dislike about NATO straps is that after a while they start to stink due to your sweat and grime getting into the strap and starting to smell. I do like the security they provide but due to the smell remind yourself to change the straps after some months.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jim Malone wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:43 am
The thing i dislike about NATO straps is that after a while they start to stink due to your sweat and grime getting into the strap and starting to smell. I do like the security they provide but due to the smell remind yourself to change the straps after some months.

I take mine off and attach it to a belt loop and run them through the laundry about once a week. Just remember to not dry then or they shrink.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

IMG_20220417_175526_074.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

G Shock is my only watch any more. I have three. They're about as close to the design goal of indestructible as I think you can get.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Jim Malone wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:43 am
Though I agree with your observation, it’s a non issue for me.
In general I avoid NATOs and Zulus because of the height they add, but my (most commonly worn) beater watch (not G-shock) is a very slim and light quartz analogue that carries very nice on a NATO. And while it does absorb sweat, that “feature” makes it IMO more comfortable to wear while sweating, than say rubber or metal and I feel that the simplicity of maintenance more than make up for its proclivity to smell.
If I’ve been working out or sweating a lot for some other reason, I take the strap off (which is super simple with a NATO) wash the strap thoroughly with hot water and hand soap as I wash my hands. Make sure to get all the soap out and lay it to dry. I also wash the watch head lightly with lukewarm water and put it away to dry. Though it’s waterproof I make sure the crown faces downward through that whole process. Put on another watch and have a fresh and clean beater watch ready to go the next time I need it.
Once in a while I run it through the washer, like Evil D. Not nearly as often, but it feels good to get it thoroughly cleaned once in a while. Especially during the summer.