Re-Sprinting the Super Blue Caly 3/3.5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Re: Re-Sprinting the Super Blue Caly 3/3.5?

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

How much longer until the Caly 3.5 makes a return ?
:bug-red-white
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I would be down for a calypso jr, wire clip, tip up in super blue or vtoku 2.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Tristan_david2001

Bringing it back in g10 handle scales would be particularly nice too, for those who do not care too much for the FRN like myself, or just prefer the textured g10 material. I really think it is an incredibly important knife in the spyderco catalog for edc users. It deserves to be a staple in production.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:52 am
Bringing it back in g10 handle scales would be particularly nice too, for those who do not care too much for the FRN like myself, or just prefer the textured g10 material. I really think it is an incredibly important knife in the spyderco catalog for edc users. It deserves to be a staple in production.
This is how I feel about the Caly 3.5.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
It deserves to be a staple in production.
I agree providing the maker can get past their recent quality issues. Sal seemed satisfied by the latest run of Caly 3.5 CF/ZDP189. So hopefully they're now up to it. If not, I wouldn't mind seeing another factory have a go at it but Spyderco doesn't usually like to move a model from the original maker
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:56 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
It deserves to be a staple in production.
I agree providing the maker can get past their recent quality issues. Sal seemed satisfied by the latest run of Caly 3.5 CF/ZDP189. So hopefully they're now up to it. If not, I wouldn't mind seeing another factory have a go at it but Spyderco doesn't usually like to move a model from the original maker
I’d love to see the standard model made in golden Colorado, maybe made in s30v or something like that. and the aogami superblue steel version specially produced in the Japan factory
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I have a Caly 3 and 3.5 in Superblue just sitting in their boxes. Never used. My delica in Superblue has served me well. Not sure when the Calys’ will get into the rotation.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If only so newcomers might have the Caly experience, I’ll add my voice to this ask. But, is Moki still producing?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tristan_david2001

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:42 am
If only so newcomers might have the Caly experience, I’ll add my voice to this ask.
Can you clarify what you’re saying ?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
If only so newcomers might have the Caly experience, I’ll add my voice to this ask.
Sure. I’ve become increasingly reluctant to participate in requests that will require Spyderco to spend money outside its own plans.

But, as a Caly admirer, I added my voice here as a modest way of saying that Spyderco might have enough interest in the mid-sized Calys to think about their return.

Gotta keep this dream alive.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tristan_david2001

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:18 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:59 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sure. I’ve become increasingly reluctant to participate in requests that will require Spyderco to spend money outside its own plans.

But, as a Caly admirer, I added my voice here as a modest way of saying that Spyderco might have enough interest in the mid-sized Calys to think about their return.

Gotta keep this dream alive.
Word. I appreciate how after I bump this thread (this is the second time I’ve done this on this particular post) to reignite peoples attention on it, several of you find forum members chime in and show your support to the cause. I feel that increases the chances of sal listening to us. It sucks when you find the one, everything you want in an edc knife, and of course it’s gotta be discontinued or highly exclusive and then prices shot up on the secondary market. It’s happened to too many other amazing spydercos, like the slysz Bowie
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well I'll keep commenting. Since getting the Caly 3.5, I am utterly amazed at how great this design is. The Kapara used to be my favorite design from a footprint standpoint. I always felt bad that my favorite design from Spyderco was a Collab. Not that I lost sleep over it, but really? Of all the great designs a Collab? Yes I know Sal has a lot of say in the Collab designs, but I felt like I was betraying the cause or something like that. Anyways, after using the Caly it is beginning to take over the role of my favorite design (footprint). Mainly for EDC. The Seki Endura family is still very planted as my favorite user/worker. The Caly for such a small footprint brilliantly packs a lot of blade in the best IMHO leaf shape blade with a fantastic negative angle. Even closed, you can tell so much thought went into the design.

So should the Caly 3.5 be a permanent fixture in the Lineup with affordable materials and a premium option(s). Yes, yes, yes, please Sal yes. You owe to yourself and the world.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005