brake cleaner(non chlorinated) safe on FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NorWest_05

brake cleaner(non chlorinated) safe on FRN?

Post by NorWest_05 »

was gunna give my dragonfly 2 a birthday and clean out all the gunk and old oil, so i thought id ask if anyone knows if its all good to use brake cleaner? ive got some non chlorinated stuff i use on my guns when they need to be fully cleaned out but i wanna check first if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with brake cleaner on frn..

I would be inclined to take the knife apart to clean it, but dont really wanna ruin the warranty.
Evil D

Re: brake cleaner(non chlorinated) safe on FRN?

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna say it should be fine, I use brake cleaner for all sorts of crap around the house.

Also your warranty is fine as long as you don't screw anything up in the process of disassembly/reassembly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Danke

Post by Danke »

Once you've seen what 98% DEET does to plastic you loose enthusiasm for mad scientist chemical experiments.

Super hot tap water + dish soap. Followed up by some compressed air and your favorite flavor of oil.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

NorWest_05 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:27 pm
was gunna give my dragonfly 2 a birthday and clean out all the gunk and old oil, so i thought id ask if anyone knows if its all good to use brake cleaner? ive got some non chlorinated stuff i use on my guns when they need to be fully cleaned out but i wanna check first if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with brake cleaner on frn..

I would be inclined to take the knife apart to clean it, but dont really wanna ruin the warranty.
I just do rubbing alcohol and elbow grease…
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Hoppes Gun Solvent, Dawn Dish Soap and hot water, rubbing alcohol have done the trick for me.

I'd not use any kind of Brake/Parts Cleaner. While I haven't tried them on ever plastic they have done damage to all most all that I have tried over the years. They almost leave a film on the surface. This is most noticeable on clear plastics but they seem to do it to everything to some degree. Think of an old cloudy car headlamp assembly vs a new one... they seem to do that to most plastic like items.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:56 pm
I'm gonna say it should be fine, I use brake cleaner for all sorts of crap around the house.

Also your warranty is fine as long as you don't screw anything up in the process of disassembly/reassembly.
good to know about the warranty
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

Thanks all for replys :)
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

You can also use BC "Synthetic Safe" Gun Scrubber -- which is predominantly canned/pressurized alcohol -- to blast out the gunk. I've used it on a lot of pistol frames, knives, etc. over the years. Here's the MSDS: https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/content/ ... erosol.pdf
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

warriorsociologist wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:55 pm
You can also use BC "Synthetic Safe" Gun Scrubber -- which is predominantly canned/pressurized alcohol -- to blast out the gunk. I've used it on a lot of pistol frames, knives, etc. over the years. Here's the MSDS: https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/content/ ... erosol.pdf
Thanks for sharing, might pick some up and try it out
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

I ended up disassembling the knife and cleaning the parts with isopropyl alcohol, the disassemble and reassemble was a lot easier than i thought it would be.

Cheers all for the replys, helpful to have other peoples opinions :)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Best method is to disassemble yes !
It even goes faster ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds