Been quiet in Sage town...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Been quiet in Sage town...

Post by araneae »

When are we going to see a new lock in the Sage series?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Re: Been quiet in Sage town...

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:36 am

And which one could it be?!

Not a Sage expert - but perhaps a real CBBL - or perhaps axxis lock, though I personally am not the biggest fan - or stop lock...

I also wonder if different variants of the same general locktype "count": For examplee: I don´t know if the "front lock" actually IS 100 % a mid backlock (not an expert on the Sage, as said)... and if so, if for example another version, let´s say featuring an internal stop pin (should the Sage 4 have none) would be kind of a "new" lock?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:42 am
araneae wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:36 am

And which one could it be?!

Not a Sage expert - but perhaps a real CBBL - or perhaps axxis lock, though I personally am not the biggest fan - or stop lock...

I also wonder if different variants of the same general locktype "count": For examplee: I don´t know if the "front lock" actually IS 100 % a mid backlock (not an expert on the Sage, as said)... and if so, if for example another version, let´s say featuring an internal stop pin (should the Sage 4 have none) would be kind of a "new" lock?
I would love to see a stop lock in another model . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Power lock !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I don't think we'll see a power lock made anywhere but at the G Sakai / "Seki City" works.

A CBBL Sage would be cool, but would we more likely see that or a Micro Manix?
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:26 am
I don't think we'll see a power lock made anywhere but at the G Sakai / "Seki City" works.

A Sage with a CBBL would essentially be a Micro Manix. They have extremely similar ergos and blade shape.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:

I have often wondered how the "front lock" of the Sage 4 was different from the "back lock" which we know and love.

I am also amused that the technical specs on the Spyderco site for the Sage 4 list the "lock type" as "N/A".

I would think the CBBL would make for a great Sage 6.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:05 am
Wartstein wrote:

I have often wondered how the "front lock" of the Sage 4 was different from the "back lock" which we know and love.

I am also amused that the technical specs on the Spyderco site for the Sage 4 list the "lock type" as "N/A".

I would think the CBBL would make for a great Sage 6.
Front Lock is a basically another name for Mid Back Lock. (Well, vise versa but they’re the same thing either way)

“The Front Lock was developed by McBurnette and his peers and popularized by Al Mar” and it is a variation of the traditional backlock design with a shorter lock bar and a mid positioned release allowing the knife to be operated easier with one hand.

Spyderco using the term “Front Lock” is a way of honoring McBurnette, Al Mar, and their influence on modern knife designs.
-Nick :bug-red
Cadenno

Post by Cadenno »

What do you think about a button lock?
I mean a true button lock like some pro-tech or klötzli swiss border guards. With the smooth opening that the sage 5 has, it would be a really fun lock.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:51 am
Enactive wrote:

A Sage with a CBBL would essentially be a Micro Manix. They have extremely similar ergos and blade shape.
Precisely my point.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:41 pm
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:51 am
Enactive wrote:

Precisely my point.

For me a CBBL Sage would actually be what a "Micro Manix" SHOULD look like, handle-wise.

Said it before, whenever thinking of a "Micro Manix" I am afraid they could keep that "hook" at the and of the Manix handle also in a smaller version.

While on the larger Manix 2 this "hook" still allows for enough grip area for four fingers behind the choil (at least up to XL hands), in a smaller version of the Manix 2 it would actually force larger hands to use the choil for a good four finger grip

Now the Sage handle has very much Manix shape indeed... but, luckily, with a FLAT handle end that maximizes functional grip area as much as possible (one of the things I prefer in the Sage 5 over the Para 3)

Other minor differences between the Manix- and the Sage handle shape: The Manix front "guard" is a bit more pronounced, and it actually has a second "guard" or more pronounced finger placement.

Anyway: A CBBL Sage for me would be as good as a "Micro Manix" ever could get!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

A Shark Lock Sage would be very appealing (if permission to use the lock could be granted).
sal

Post by sal »

Yes, we're due, but capacity issues have slowed that train. I'll see what I can do?

sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:27 am
Front Lock is a basically another name for Mid Back Lock. (Well, vise versa but they’re the same thing either way)

“The Front Lock was developed by McBurnette and his peers and popularized by Al Mar” and it is a variation of the traditional backlock design with a shorter lock bar and a mid positioned release allowing the knife to be operated easier with one hand.

Spyderco using the term “Front Lock” is a way of honoring McBurnette, Al Mar, and their influence on modern knife designs.

Does the lock on the Sage 4 use the same "stop pins" like the Chaparral?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Button lock would be cool, axis is fair game now, phantom would be interesting.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:11 pm
Yes, we're due, but capacity issues have slowed that train. I'll see what I can do?

sal
Hope springs eternal for a Neely lock Sage :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:

sal
Wow, good news. I thought the Sage train was no longer in service once the FRN model dropped.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm still hoping button lock with a proper pivot bushing.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Button lock! (Auto Sage would be even cooler).
I believe Sal said he wouldn't do an Axis style lock out of respect for Benchmade in the past.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:30 am
sal wrote:

sal
Hope springs eternal for a Neely lock Sage :)

Hi Larry,

We found some safety issues with the Neely lock. The button lock was one I was working on when covid hit.

sal