Head Shaving Clippers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivesandbooks

Head Shaving Clippers

Post by knivesandbooks »

Shaved my head today. A spur of the moment sort of thing. Really like it. My clippers are pretty cheap but didn't do a terrible job. I've seen advertisements for some meant for shaving the head specifically. Looks like something you roll around your scalp. Are those any good? Do any of you who shave your heads have any preferred clippers or razors?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Re: Head Shaving Clippers

Post by Evil D »

Been shaving my head for about 20 years or more now. Mine started falling out when I was about 19 or so and I had shaved it off before and knew what I looked like and didn't mind it so I just leaned into it instead of having the existential crisis most guys go through. Now only people I grew up with or family have ever seen me with a head of hair, even my kids have never seen it.

Anyway. When I was using clippers to shave it down to stubble, I just used a quality pair of electric/cordless trimmers. You'd be better off finding some that are meant for your face, some with a fine tooth shaving head because they will shave much closer than actual hair style clippers. You may find you like that and don't need to go the extra step of razor shaving it smooth. These days I only razor shave and I can only do it about twice a week or I get razor rash. I've tried everything to prevent it, every cream and every razor, I just can't shave until it grows back in a little or it's razor burn city.

I haven't tried any of those shavers marketed for bald guys. They all seem gimmicky to me. I did try an electric shaver a few times but for me I have to shave against the grain to get it smooth and it seemed to really be hard to get a smooth shave without razor burn. The one I used was the old shaver that had the goo packs that lubricated as you shave. It was a good shaver, I just have overly sensitive skin.

Right now I'm using one of the 5 blade Gillette razors and their shaving cream. I've also had good experiences with using Neutrogena face soap as a lather. I shave in the shower so there's no clean up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:26 am
Been shaving my head for about 20 years or more now. Mine started falling out when I was about 19 or so and I had shaved it off before and knew what I looked like and didn't mind it so I just leaned into it instead of having the existential crisis most guys go through. Now only people I grew up with or family have ever seen me with a head of hair, even my kids have never seen it.

Anyway. When I was using clippers to shave it down to stubble, I just used a quality pair of electric/cordless trimmers. You'd be better off finding some that are meant for your face, some with a fine tooth shaving head because they will shave much closer than actual hair style clippers. You may find you like that and don't need to go the extra step of razor shaving it smooth. These days I only razor shave and I can only do it about twice a week or I get razor rash. I've tried everything to prevent it, every cream and every razor, I just can't shave until it grows back in a little or it's razor burn city.

I haven't tried any of those shavers marketed for bald guys. They all seem gimmicky to me. I did try an electric shaver a few times but for me I have to shave against the grain to get it smooth and it seemed to really be hard to get a smooth shave without razor burn. The one I used was the old shaver that had the goo packs that lubricated as you shave. It was a good shaver, I just have overly sensitive skin.

Right now I'm using one of the 5 blade Gillette razors and their shaving cream. I've also had good experiences with using Neutrogena face soap as a lather. I shave in the shower so there's no clean up.
Thanks for the advice! That's pretty much what I used to shave. Deciding if I'll keep it. The reviews haven't been good but the freedom from hair has been nice. My beard is a bit wild so I do look a bit feral I suppose haha.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:08 pm

Thanks for the advice! That's pretty much what I used to shave. Deciding if I'll keep it. The reviews haven't been good but the freedom from hair has been nice. My beard is a bit wild so I do look a bit feral I suppose haha.

It definitely has it's pros and cons no doubt. I think shaving is a lot more upkeep than having hair, unless you have a hairdo that needs a lot of styling. You don't have to deal with pillow head anymore but now you get sunburn. I spend more on razors than I ever spent on haircuts too. I won't lie I'd take back hair if I could grow it, but I don't care so much that I'd go the Rogain or plugs route.
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Right now I'm using one of the 5 blade Gillette razors and their shaving cream.
I've tried most things and this is what I settled on also. I've been shaving my hair for about 10 years now and before that I just buzzed it off with hair clippers and no attachment. I change the cartridges as soon as they begin to dull as my scalp hurts much more with a dull razor than my face and neck. With a sharp razor I shave every day but wait until day 2 if I don't have any new sharp refills.I can get close to a week before needing to change if I only use it on my scalp. Not as long if I use it on my face. The 5 blade is also easier for me to get all the difficult areas and takes less time overall than the two blade razors.

joe
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I shave my head leaving 1/2 to 1 inch every so often. Just did it the other day.

I started to look like Dennis Hopper, one of the motorcyclists in Easy Rider, and I needed a change.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1293925401/?ref_=tt_vi_i_2
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:42 am
Shaved my head today.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:32 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:42 am
Shaved my head today.
I was expecting a bald headed Dennis Hooper on a Harley, but that works.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:11 pm

It definitely has it's pros and cons no doubt. I think shaving is a lot more upkeep than having hair, unless you have a hairdo that needs a lot of styling. You don't have to deal with pillow head anymore but now you get sunburn. I spend more on razors than I ever spent on haircuts too. I won't lie I'd take back hair if I could grow it, but I don't care so much that I'd go the Rogain or plugs route.
The sunburn is real. I got a bad one a week or 2 ago.

As far as the cost, I used to use either cartridge razors or disposal multi blade. $200+ a year. I switched to a Henson medium double edge razor and a 100 pack of blades is $10 and will was 2 years. The switch didn’t take any getting used to either… felt natural from the beginning. No irritation.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I shave the top of my head. I prefer a Henson double edged safety razor (mild/standard version). It's easy, fast, and shaves close without cutting me. I've never had good results from any electric razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've been using a Norelco electric razor to shave my head every few days for over 20 years. Have a Wahl grooming clipper that I share with my dog. Only use it if I get lazy and don't shave for over a week.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cjk

Post by cjk »

I have been buzzing what's left of my hair with a set of Wahl clippers for over 20 years now. For the last 5ish years, I've used a 1/16"(#1/2) guard. Before that, I used a 1/8”(#1) guard because I didn't know there was a shorter one. I do this every couple weeks at present.

I shaved my head with a razor a few times over the years. I didn't have any difficulty using the same razor I would use to shave my face. I shaved by feel in the shower. It was actually much easier than shaving my face. I don't see the need for any specialty head razor products or anything to accomplish this.

However, after every time I shaved my head with a razor, I realized (or re-realized):

* 1/16" or 1/8" of hair is way way warmer than a shaved head.
* stubble on the back of the head wants to grab onto a t-shirt like velcro.
* holy crap that's a lot of face to wash.

Buzzing my head is way less maintenance on my part and I really really hate velcro head.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cjk wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:10 pm

* stubble on the back of the head wants to grab onto a t-shirt like velcro.
* holy crap that's a lot of face to wash.

1. Nothing like taking off a hoodie or anything fleece only to find the back of your head absolutely covered in fuzz that your velcro scalp grabbed onto.

2. Neutrogena face wash on everything from the shoulders up 🤣
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:36 am
I shave the top of my head.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:14 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Got him!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:14 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Hey! Where did you get a picture of me? :')

That guy is not me. He has too much stubble everywhere and my beard and mustache are much better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Weak sauce.

The few times I've shaved my beard off, I've done some silly stuff but never that one. I did once leave some absolutely huge mutton chops that hung down about 8 inches and I very nearly stuck with that one but it made me look even more psychotic so they had to go lol.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:24 am
Weak sauce. ...
Not about how you look D ... how you feel’s the only thing that matters. ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cjk wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:10 pm
Buzzing my head is way less maintenance on my part and I really really hate velcro head.

On the plus side, velcro head does a darn good job of keeping my ball cap from flying off in the wind. :smlling-eyes
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:34 am
On the plus side, velcro head does a darn good job of keeping my ball cap from flying off in the wind. :smlling-eyes
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue