Spyderco C09 CoPilot Varieties

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The CoPilot

Re: Spyderco C09 CoPilot Varieties

Post by The CoPilot »

Kicking this thread back up to the top again for some air.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

The CoPilot wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 pm
If Spyderco were to do another Sprint Run of the C09 CoPilot, what blade steel and handle material would you want to see?
The CoPilot.
Nive to see a fellow CoPilot lover. I started a thread a little while back on reintroducing this knife and Sal seemed receptive andsaid it's something he's working on and asked for input as to desired features. Thought you might like to know.

Co Pilot
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I can hardly wait!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

I believe Sal said he would show some drawings this weekend. I'm really hoping to see a Wharncliffe if it can be done. And some ss handles!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Co Pilot,

I still have the original drawings, which need a lot of help. I haven't had the time to get to it.

sal
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Sal,
Thanks for the quick reply and for working on the design. Really happy it may become a reality. Hope to see the drawings whenever you can post them.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The CoPilot wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:07 am
Glad you did.

This valuable thread piqued my interest in the CoPilot, and as of today I have a one.

Thanks to a fellow in Yokohama, I have an unused PE Yellowhorse-embellished one. #173. It sure is built solidly. Not a hint of blade-play in any direction. It’s now my oldest Spydie (made in 1989) and rarest (only 185 or so made); and it’s my first piece of real pocket-jewelry.

I don’t ordinarily seek out bejeweled things for myself. But when my wife and I were in the Southwest some years ago, we visited the Navajo Nation and came away with a beautiful turquoise bracelet. And so my wife’s collection of turquoise grew; she had inherited my mother’s collection which dazzled me as a kid. When I saw the turquoise on the CoPilot earlier in this thread, then learned Dave Yellowhorse was Navajo, I had to have it.

I hasten to add that if anyone here owns the Yellowhorse CoPilot #136, I have your certificate of authenticity. I’ll send it onward if you want it.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

wow so many great Spyderco designs. In many ways I'm glad some of them aren't available. My bank account and marriage couldn't take it if they were still available.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Good for you Marc and congratulations!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:23 am
Good for you Marc and congratulations!
Thank you, Barry.

bleasure

Post by bleasure »

never heard of this variety but wow do i like it. like a chicago, cat, or ambitious but in some ways even more appealing. if these were regular production or sprint-ran again i'd have a hard time resisiting one
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Sal, any chance you have some of drawings to show us, or just an update on the status of the new Co Pilot? Looks like people are interested. Thanks.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:08 pm
The CoPilot wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:07 am
Glad you did.

This valuable thread piqued my interest in the CoPilot, and as of today I have a one.

Thanks to a fellow in Yokohama, I have an unused PE Yellowhorse-embellished one. #173. It sure is built solidly. Not a hint of blade-play in any direction. It’s now my oldest Spydie (made in 1989) and rarest (only 185 or so made); and it’s my first piece of real pocket-jewelry.

I don’t ordinarily seek out bejeweled things for myself. But when my wife and I were in the Southwest some years ago, we visited the Navajo Nation and came away with a beautiful turquoise bracelet. And so my wife’s collection of turquoise grew; she had inherited my mother’s collection which dazzled me as a kid. When I saw the turquoise on the CoPilot earlier in this thread, then learned Dave Yellowhorse was Navajo, I had to have it.

I hasten to add that if anyone here owns the Yellowhorse CoPilot #136, I have your certificate of authenticity. I’ll send it onward if you want it.
No worries, congrats on your new (old?) Co Pilot. They are cool little critters, aren't they? I find the handle shape what makes it most appealing and more comfortable than the other Spydies in it's size range i.e. the DragonFly, Chicago or cat for example. Hopefully we'll see a new one someday and you can add more of a user to the collection. I know Sal and Spyderco have a lot of irons in the fire, but he did seem pretty definitive that it was going to be produced.
veeteetee

Post by veeteetee »

My Co-Pilot from the 90s: de-serrated, convexed, jimped and (ab)used for 20+ years:
Perfect performance :smlling-eyes
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Co Pilot,

I've done a few, but nothing I'm happy with. It's on my list, but there are also others on my list.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Co Pilot wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:47 am
No worries, congrats on your new (old?) Co Pilot. They are cool little critters, aren't they? I find the handle shape what makes it most appealing and more comfortable than the other Spydies in it's size range i.e. the DragonFly, Chicago or cat for example. Hopefully we'll see a new one someday and you can add more of a user to the collection. I know Sal and Spyderco have a lot of irons in the fire, but he did seem pretty definitive that it was going to be produced.
Thanks. I agree that it’s more comfortable than my DF2s. Hey, Sal, I’ll be in line for the next one.

Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Hi Sal, thanks for the answer. Looking forward to seeing it. Understand you have others on the list, just happy it's on the list too.
Spyd13

Post by Spyd13 »

Bumping this thread back up! Curious what the early versions go for these days? I know condition will vary.

And I'm sure I can speak for the copilot majority, we all hope the project is coming along Sal with future designs!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Thanks for the revived internet. Not sure what early ones are selling for these days. New-old-Stock brass-lined CoPilits we’re bringing up to around $150 last time I checked.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade