Anyone EDC Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
99Dirk

Anyone EDC Fixed Blade

Post by 99Dirk »

Anyone routinely cary (EDC) a fixed blade. I've gone back and forth and typically carry a fixed blade on weekend chores outside or when I work in the field.

I've got the MagnaMule in rotation and like how nimble and slicey the full flat grind works cutting: construction materials, rope, leather, marking lumber for cuts, triming tasks, etc.

I normally prefer a 3" blade and 3" handle sized fixed blade for EDC, and carry either in a pocket sheath or scout carry under a work shirt or jacket.

I've looked at the current models and am considering one of the Enuff models with a custom handle.
Naperville

Re: Anyone EDC Fixed Blade

Post by Naperville »

Over the past 2 weeks I've found that carrying a fixed blade is tricky compared to a folder. My issue is sitting....haven't figured that out yet and am having problems. I'm still carrying my Spyderco Native Chief everyday.

If I had loser fitting jeans, this might not be an issue. So I'll be ordering those as well.

My preferred endgame is 2 or 3 Spyderco Nighsticks, because they are daggers, have beautiful look to them, and are sharpened on only one side. Right now I'm using Les George Galvo daggers, excellent knives with bad "clips."

I need to work on this everyday and get a comfortable location for carrying, but gave up for a day or two. I'll go back to it again, maybe tomorrow. I think that the issue is the knife that I am using now has Ulti-Clips(NOPE, not even Ulti-Clips on the kydex sheaths, but I have Chatenuga leather sheaths for the knives that do have Ulti-Clips and I'll try them). Moving to Tek-Locks will fix the issue in all cases I am almost 100% sure.

BLADE TECH, TEK LOCKS

https://blade-tech.com/collections/atta ... s-original
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I pretty much default to fixed blades in the winter, and honestly I'm moving more toward fixed blade all the time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I do at times. How you carry it makes all the difference. I prefer IWB around 3-4 o clock, or horizontal on my belt around 1 o clock. Setting the g clip to left hand carry then clipping it IWB is a lot more comfortable for me than on my belt when carrying the knife vertical.

I've also come up with mods for pocket carrying a Street Beat with a paracord attachment that keeps it from sinking to the bottom:

https://streamable.com/pv0v2q
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I tried with an Enuff but got the bad sheaths they originally had. Might would try again, it’s a great knife. Something like a Izula would disappear
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:15 pm
I do at times. How you carry it makes all the difference. I prefer IWB around 3-4 o clock, or horizontal on my belt around 1 o clock. Setting the g clip to left hand carry then clipping it IWB is a lot more comfortable for me than on my belt when carrying the knife vertical.

I've also come up with mods for pocket carrying a Street Beat with a paracord attachment that keeps it from sinking to the bottom:

https://streamable.com/pv0v2q
That right there is a likely solution. OR - IWB around 3 o'clock(right hand draw), horizontal on my belt around 10 o'clock(left hand draw), and 4 o'clock HANDLE POINTING DOWNWARD(right hand draw). I need to be able to get to a knife if I am tackled and on the ground with my hands.
Last edited by Naperville on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

I carried an SE A.R.K. around my neck as a secondary knife throughout most of last winter. Barely noticed it, but it was there when I needed it. I swapped the ball chain necklace out for some paracord and found that to be more comfortable.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

A Bradford 3 in cross draw at 11o'clock at 10° above horizontal is very comfortable for me or middle of back. Off body I have carried inside lap belt of backpack on side I carry pack (left) - mostly a Leatherman multi-tool but have carried fixed blades here too.

In think either the Jump Master or Enuff Salt (custom handle) would be worth trying. Will likey purchase this year.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

99Dirk wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:39 pm
A Bradford 3 in cross draw at 11o'clock at 10° above horizontal is very comfortable for me or middle of back. Off body I have carried inside lap belt of backpack on side I carry pack (left) - mostly a Leatherman multi-tool but have carried fixed blades here too.

In think either the Jump Master or Enuff Salt (custom handle) would be worth trying. Will likey purchase this year.
Have you held an Enuff Salt? Handles are a personal thing, but in my opinion the Enuff handle is the best thing about the knife. It's my favorite of all Spyderco handles. The sheath, on the other hand, could use some help...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Looking to trying the Swick in this role.
Joshuaroyce

Post by Joshuaroyce »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:18 pm
I tried with an Enuff but got the bad sheaths they originally had. Might would try again, it’s a great knife. Something like a Izula would disappear
Dang, I just ordered an Enuff. I hope I get the good sheath lol. Otherwise you can try Armatus Carry they make excellent custom Kydex sheaths with strong retention
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’ve really been enjoying fixed blades for edc. The key to a comfortable carry, I think, is the sheath.

I have an LT Wright which is about 6.5” overall, with a 3” blade. I carry it horizontal about 3 o’clock, in a Delta Shield Mini sheath. It’s my favorite edc fixed blade. Super useful, super quick to draw, very inconspicuous.

If I carry anything larger, it pretty much has to be small of back to remain inconspicuous.

I have a PD1 mule, and it should be a great EDC. I even had a scout carry sheath made for it, but it’s a bit too conspicuous most days because this particular sheath hangs below the belt. Makes for an exceptionally comfortable carry, though.

One thing I’ve found about fixed blades is that I prefer to draw and re-sheathe in a reverse grip. I think it has something to do with the angle of the wrist.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Joshuaroyce

Post by Joshuaroyce »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:58 pm
Over the past 2 weeks I've found that carrying a fixed blade is tricky compared to a folder. My issue is sitting....haven't figured that out yet and am having problems. I'm still carrying my Spyderco Native Chief everyday.

If I had loser fitting jeans, this might not be an issue. So I'll be ordering those as well.

My preferred endgame is 2 or 3 Spyderco Nighsticks, because they are daggers, have beautiful look to them, and are sharpened on only one side. Right now I'm using Les George Galvo daggers, excellent knives with bad "clips."

I need to work on this everyday and get a comfortable location for carrying, but gave up for a day or two. I'll go back to it again, maybe tomorrow. I think that the issue is the knife that I am using now has Ulti-Clips(NOPE, not even Ulti-Clips on the kydex sheaths, but I have Chatenuga leather sheaths for the knives that do have Ulti-Clips and I'll try them). Moving to Tek-Locks will fix the issue in all cases I am almost 100% sure.

BLADE TECH, TEK LOCKS

https://blade-tech.com/collections/atta ... s-original
I had the same issue as well. Sitting. It honestly took a little getting used to but at first you really feel & notice it, then after a couple days you adjust and don’t really notice anymore. You gotta commit. I find carrying IWB at 1 o clock is perfect using an Ulticlip. I also slightly angle the Carry so its clipped in diagonally and doesn’t jab my gut when I sit down. Fits right in that diagonal hip crease at 1 o clock. Give it another shot
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Love carrying small fixed blades when possible. I tend to pocket carry with a kydex sheath. Been carrying the following little fixed blade lately. UKPK for scale.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I really enjoy using my Mules. The challenge arises when re-sheathing the knife. Great care must be taken to pull back the shirt and visually ensuring the blade is going into the sheath. Maybe it's just my lack of skill knowing exactly where the tip of the knife is, but I don't want to accidentally slice my nice shirt or my tender flank meat.

In contrast, with any of my folders, I can just reach down and whip it out of my pocket. The blade is opened when the knife is clear of my body. When putting the knife away, I can close it one-handed and then return it to my pocket--quickly and without having to look.

So for expediency and practicality, a folder is better. If the goal is just to carry something different for the novelty of it, a fixed blade can be fine.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I would like to sometimes, but it is a difficult proposition in CA. The laws are strange, and senseless.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Just to add, I really love my Jumpmaster 2, a lot, and would carry it much more often if it wasn't a challenge to do so.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I love to EDC a fixed blade. Here is a printed sheath and you can see how well it will work in your pocket. The sheath comes off with a push of my thumb. I would like to see a pocket clip solution added to the scale. Perhaps attached to the rear screw

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I carry a Clinch Pick horizontally at one o clock. Knife disappears under a t-shirt. I don't feel it sitting down either.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yep:
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10