"The knife guy"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DSH007

Re: "The knife guy"

Post by DSH007 »

Yes, I am absolutely "the knife guy." I don't go out of my way to advertise it, but anyone who knows me well has caught on to my always having a knife on me. My favorite response to those who ask me "why do you carry a knife" when I use it in front of them is, "well.. it came in handy just then, didn't it?"
:winking-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:16 am

I mentioned this show in my post as well. But I totally agree with sensationalistic presentation though. I've talked with quite a few people who figure that's a common ground for knife discussion, which is fine by me...but the show tends to lead people to think that every Damascus finished blade is meant to chop through concrete and remain razor sharp, and then they ask why I don't carry any Damascus blades haha. They fail to realize there is so much more to it. But hey, at least it's better than them not knowing what Damascus even is.
True. It's ultimately a largely harmless shared reference point for conversation with "non-knife people", and that's a good thing.
James Y

Post by James Y »

At my old workplace, one of the ladies told me that she and her boyfriend love watching Forged in Fire, even though they aren’t knife people at all. They just found it fascinating. Which IMO is a good thing.

One thing I’m not sure of, however, is when Doug Mercaida says “This will keeeel.” I realize that’s his catchphrase to indicate a knife’s durability and performance, but let’s be honest; even a 99-cent store piece of junk paring knife can be used to maim or kill someone. It’s pretty darned obvious that ANY semi-sharp knife (or even a butterknife), whether it makes the grade on the show or not, can be used to maim or “keeel” someone, if you know what to do with it. The need to say that on the show kind of perpetuates the image among many that anyone who carries a knife is some kind of nut who only carries it as a weapon. Which, if you happen to carry for SD, I totally respect that. But I’m talking about general perceptions. IMO, it would be better if the show’s main catchphrase was “This knife will hold up to serious use,” or “ This blade has superior performance.” Not nearly as catchy, I know, but it might convince more people that knives have many uses beyond just dispatching people. Unless, of course, it’s specifically a weapon like a sword or a dagger that’s being featured and made in the episode.

Perception is everything in how knife carry is seen by the general public, and what types of laws get passed around it or not.

Jim
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:40 am
Yes, I am absolutely "the knife guy." I don't go out of my way to advertise it, but anyone who knows me well has caught on to my always having a knife on me. My favorite response to those who ask me "why do you carry a knife" when I use it in front of them is, "well.. it came in handy just then, didn't it?"
Yeah, pretty common. It's like those people wondering why you carry a knife while always borrowing it...
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Hahahah I am the knife guy, but I am slowly convincing people around me to form a knife group
Just one more knife...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Xformer wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:34 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Yeah, pretty common. It's like those people wondering why you carry a knife while always borrowing it...
Hahah, exactly! And then they still look at you funny when you counter with "how come you don't carry a knife?!," like you're somehow being a jerk for forcing logic on them! :zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
vivi

Post by vivi »

In my industry everyone has a few knives of their own. Usually a couple chef knives, paring knives and a pocket knife. CRKT CEO's are popular here, as they fit in the sleeve pockets on chef jackets, next to sharpies and thermometers.

So, no one is really going to stand out as a knife guy here.

I am, however, the sharpening guy.

I've taught countless people that serrated knives can be sharpened. Most chefs think they can't. Every single person that has cut something with my SE Z cut has commented on how sharp it is. It can push cut a receipt effortlessly.

I've also opened some people up to low grit edges where I work.

I sharpen my main knife, a 10" Victorinox chef knife, on a 260 grit diamond stone. Most people here are finishing on 2,000-6,000 grit japanese waterstones, and touching up their knives multiple times a day. Meanwhile I sharpen at 260 grit and can go weeks between touch-ups.

Sometimes I'll use the 1,000 grit stone the 260 grit is taped to as a finishing stone, careful to use few enough strokes to not eliminate the microserrations the coarser stone left.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:43 am
CRKT CEO's are popular here, as they fit in the sleeve pockets on chef jackets, next to sharpies and thermometers.
it's not a great knife, but i like mine. just have to be careful of the lockup.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

In my haunts..I'm know as "The Man with the Sharpest Knife".

Someone will walk up and ask to borrow a knife. So I"ll pull mine out and hand it to them. Anyone within earshot, that knows me, will holler out...Be careful, that SOB is very sharp, you're gonna cut yourself!!! LOL!!!

When you use a knife as much and as hard as I do...you tend to get very good at sharpening them. :cheap-sunglasses
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

DSH007 wrote:
Same here!

I will add, if someone asks to borrow my knife, I will volunteer to cut whatever on their behalf. If they ask why, I tell them: the knife is very sharp.

If they ask why I carry such a sharp knife, I tell them: that is the purpose of a knife.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
timlara

Post by timlara »

I guess I run in the wrong circles because almost nobody I know even carries a knife, except maybe on a multi-tool in their backpack or something like that, and I definitely don't have any friends who are into knives as a hobby.

I will occasionally get comments from friends or family when I pull out a knife to quickly and easily open something to the effect of "Oh wow, that's pretty handy", yet oddly enough nobody ever seems to show enough interest to ask where I got it and I will inevitably see them awkwardly using scissors or their keys to struggle with a package on another day...

I suppose that's why I spend so much time reading and talking about knives online. Hurray for the internet!
Tim