Daylight Saving Time Poll

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Are you in favor of Daylight Saving Time ?

Yes. Keep it the way it is.
8%
Yes. Daylight Saving Time should be made permanent.
25%
No. Do away with it and stay on Standard Time year round.
60%
Don't care.
8%

Total votes: 52

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Daylight Saving Time Poll

Post by Mad Mac »

It's about time.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

benben wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:58 am
I would think there’s got to be a study somewhere that shows the economy takes a hit when they roll the clocks back? When it’s dark already at 5:00pm, people go home, or stay home instead of going out and spending money. I could be way off here, maybe it just makes sense in my mind.

I saw an article along those lines recently. A local brewery/restaurant owner said people go out for dinner more when it's light later in the evening.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Pokey wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:26 am
benben wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:58 am
I would think there’s got to be a study somewhere that shows the economy takes a hit when they roll the clocks back? When it’s dark already at 5:00pm, people go home, or stay home instead of going out and spending money. I could be way off here, maybe it just makes sense in my mind.

I saw an article along those lines recently. A local brewery/restaurant owner said people go out for dinner more when it's light later in the evening.

Yes, I saw them too awhile back, it's all about the money, it's ALWAYS about the money.

And not about the money for the masses either. ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:54 am
I like when it stays light later. Stick with DST and forget the clock changes. I mean, WWI was a really long time ago.
… and also why/when they brought in licensing hours. We still have some of them, too!

For years here, changing the clocks has been claimed to both benefit agricultural workers and help road safety. Headlights are better now, though.

If only they could make *more* hours in the day, now that would be useful.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:10 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I like when it stays light later. Stick with DST and forget the clock changes. I mean, WWI was a really long time ago.
… and also why/when they brought in licensing hours. We still have some of them, too!

For years here, changing the clocks has been claimed to both benefit agricultural workers and help road safety. Headlights are better now, though.

That was always BS.

There is still the same number of hours of Sunlight in a day, daylight savings time or not. If anything it actually hurt them because they had to start later in the morning. ;)
benben

Post by benben »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:17 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:10 am
Doc Dan wrote:

That was always BS.

There is still the same number of hours of Sunlight in a day, daylight savings time or not. If anything it actually hurt them because they had to start later in the morning. ;)
I was always told that too, but it was never about farmers! The real reason was to conserve energy, it first started in WW1 and then was reinstated again in WW2.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I don’t care which one they pick just stop changing it!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Since you asked, I like standard time better, and I'm surprised so many others voted that way. But if either were picked, and it never changed again, I wouldn't care.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The old proverb about cutting the top off of a blanket and sewing it on the other end and thinking you have made a longer blanket certainly applies, here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:41 pm
The old proverb about cutting the top off of a blanket and sewing it on the other end and thinking you have made a longer blanket certainly applies, here.

Exactly. :rofl
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:11 pm
Standard time year round.
Definitely against that. I'm ok with daylight savings time year round, but standard time during Halloween would make trick or treating substantially less safe (and colder) for kids around here.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In WW1, apparently someone actually suggested an 80 minute change, in weekly 20 minute increments….. :zany
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:15 pm
...I'm ok with daylight savings time year round, but standard time during Halloween would make trick or treating substantially less safe (and colder) for kids around here.
"Halloween does in fact always fall during daylight saving time in the U.S. these days due to legislation passed by President George W. Bush in 2005. This act was related to energy savings, and was called the Energy Policy Act, which changed the end date for daylight saving to the first Sunday in November. This change has been in effect since 2007. "
https://www.bustle.com/articles/120028- ... -halloween

My thermostat was made before 2007 and changes the time automatically two weeks early.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm for sticking with one only. I prefer standard time, however.

I see no point whatsoever. I mean, the amount of daylight we have each day has nothing to do with us being on DST or ST.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've dealt with DST all my life and I don't see any reason to change it now>> not this late in the game anyway. I've never gotten a straight answer as to why they ever initiated it in the first place. I've had farmers here in the State of Missouri where I live tell me that it was to give the farmers an additional hour to work in the evenings so they could get all their work done with plenty of daylight.

I kind of doubt if that was the real reason but it is good to know that at least some members of our society do benefit from it.
Also I've heard that the state of Arizona has never complied with it. I bet that sure has their airports in a real quandary at times. If they could give me at least one good reason as to why it benefits us I would be glad to listen. Otherwise just leave it the way it is.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Last spring I did this poll when we "spring forward".
Feel free to vote again now that we "fall back".

The senate voted to make daylight saving permanent.
It did not make it to the house.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Florida voted to keep DST permanently, but apparently the law was written is such a way that it requires the Federal Government to pass their version first. So, I guess it will never happen here.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Just my .02, but I say good riddance to it!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

My dogs don't understand why it is not time to eat.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

All the farmers I've ever known work from "Can't see to can't see". Clock time doesn't matter to them, and DST doesn't change the number of minutes of daylight in the day.

Where I live is far enough west that we really should be on Mountain time instead of Central. Adding DST to that means solar noon happens at 2 p.m. and you can sit outside and read until 9 p.m. or later in the summer. Tough to go to bed at a reasonable time when it's still light at 10 p.m.