What is your oldest (earliest) Spyderco ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Re: What is your oldest (earliest) Spyderco ?

Post by Archimedes »

Maybe not the oldest I own, but an old one I cherish and I display on my desk.
IMG_7874.jpeg
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:49 pm
Hi NASA,

Thanx again for your service and thanx for sharing.....and thanx for the support across the years. The Aluminum handle was the first one we made. Does yours have a number on it?

Talkin' Story: I was an associate member of the Custom Knife-maker's Guild and the American Blade-Smith's Society. Learning as I could. We'd been making sharpeners for a decade and stainless steel handled "Clipits" for a few years. Bob T and I had been friends seeing each other on the "show circuit". He said he liked my "hole Opener idea and the clip, but my designs were just ugly. "Handles go way way, blade goes anther way, terrible". I said, "You design a pretty one and I'll make it".

That's how the Spyderco's first collaboration began. One of Bob's requirements was that it be made in the USA. (Always the Patriot) Another was that he wanted special Blade steel, ATS-34 as I remember. This commitment was challenging because all of our knives at the time were being made in Seki-City Japan. I'd already spoken with most of the US makers and they didn't want to use the steels that I wanted to or hold the tolerances I wanted. I knew Bob would be just as finicky as I was so the only solution was to try to farm it out until we could build our own factory in Golden, which Gail and I were planning anyway.

We outsourced the first couple of runs to Les DeAsis at Benchmade, another friend of mine, and to Rob & Vince Ford, whom I met recently at a knife factory auction. The first several runs were challenging to say the least, but "Persistence is King". Bob T was our first collaboration with a Custom Knife-maker.

sal
Hi Sal!
Had to check as i couldn't remember. My C15 is indeed numbered.
Cheers!

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageBest buddy Rick asked me to post his Jess Horn with picture and uniform his Grandfather wore in WW1 . He is the friend who started me down the Spyderco road years ago . His collection is amazing . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
NASA50

Post by NASA50 »

WWI Uniform and picture - That is so awesome - I love it !
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:34 pm
ImageBest buddy Rick asked me to post his Jess Horn with picture and uniform his Grandfather wore in WW1 . He is the friend who started me down the Spyderco road years ago . His collection is amazing . MG2

Wow! Tell him he definitely has something special right there. Very cool and thanks for posting for him Dan.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

NASA50 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:14 pm
WWI Uniform and picture - That is so awesome - I love it !
He will certainly appreciate the comments. Thank you for your interest . The Jess Horn is his Holy Grail . His collection is outstanding. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m getting a lot of mileage out of these pics of my Rapid Release! A knife that doesn’t get much mention here, but is so unique I can’t imagine selling it. An uncommon knife, if not rare per say, this is my oldest Spyderco. In a fit of “gotta have another thing” I sold my first Spyderco, a stainless G2 Worker that I bought in ‘94.

JFrame

Post by JFrame »

I'll guess these guys are my oldest...

Clearly, the Delica with the integral clip (far left) has gotta be my oldest. :thinking

I believe I got the Calypso Jr. next. The rest of the oldies, in no particular order (because I can't recall) are the Massad Ayoob, Shabaria, and Mouse (v.1).
Spydercos oldest 03_16_2022 pic #2 rotate adj.jpg
James Y

Post by James Y »

My AUS-8 Delica clipit, bought in 1997:

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

I sold all my oldest spydies. Started with a PE saber ground Delica 4, then an S60V Military, a couple Cara Cara 1's and a C95 Manix.

These are the oldest ones that have survived every impulse to trade or sell off part of the collection:

PE Aqua Salt from Sal
First run Police 3 I drove to New Graham to buy
Some early salts....pinned Pacific with old style jimping, and a first run Tasman with the name etched on the blade.
An old Spin from when I used to carry two knives. Used to pair it with that Police for my work carry.

At one point I basically had every Spyderco I wanted made prior to 2012, then sold off just about everything besides these right here.

I know from experience this set of knives can cover my bases. Got a tough but light all weather fixed blade, one of the best EDC folders ever made, a rust proof EDC folder for summer etc., a serrated beater, and a cute tiny knife you can use anywhere without raising an eyebrow.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Haven’t sold a Spyderco yet, but I have lost quite a few.

My first was a ZDP Stretch purchased in 2009, which was lost around 2014 or so.

Now, I think my earliest production would be the KW Exclusive CTS-204p Military I picked up second hand. Next would be my K390 Paras.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Slab side, three-screw Worker purchased January 1989