Help with the Spydie Chef

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kevinim82

Re: Help with the Spydie Chef

Post by Kevinim82 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:22 am
I suspect this might just be a design that won't work for me, I'll see it very fast tomorrow, when I receive the new one.
If that is indeed the case, the dealer will certainly accept another refund and I'll buy the Caly 3.5, that is finally appearing as soon to be in stock after more than a year !
I’m going to spend a month with my new one. I had this design 2-3 years ago and gifted it to my dad.

From reflection, I remember now, this knife takes a break in period. It’s very different from any other Spyder I own. It’s my only flipper (if you don’t count compression lock as a flipper.) Though like a grandpa, I like to open it with two hands.

The ergonomics of this knife are very very interesting. It’s greatest strength is pull cuts. It disappears in the pocket. It’s an odd shape too, kinda banana like… weight while holding it open is right in the middle of the knife (the area your pointer finger rests.)

It’s a big departure from the N5. I like the pinch grip the best for the spydie chef knife (like a paring knife.)

The blade thickness… it’s thick. Makes cutting veggies a little awkward. If you use it as a kitchen tool, you’ll have to adjust your cutting style.

I like this knife most because as Evil D mentioned in a resurrected post from 2015; A pocket knife isn’t the best tool for the job. The Spydie Chef is a big compromise. I think it’s a great edc tool that dips its toes into the culinary world.

The spydie chef does one thing in the kitchen really well. It can slice a tomato unlike any other knife I own. If you like cutting through thick tomato skins, this knife excels there! Onions too! So if you are a Summer/Spring/Fall grill master, this knife is probably the best designed tool for the job.

Also it’s a Salt knife! And LC200N is no slouch! A rust proof steel that’s tough! And, it’s so so easy to sharpen.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

If you need to add more vegetables into your “grilling man” diet, the spydie chef will help you make said diet transformation easily!

For your healths sake keep the chef!

MNOSD 0009
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My goal is to keep it, my wish I mean !

I wanted to own at least one titanium folder from Spyderco, and this one had the best mix of price and interest for me.
I don't want to make my own Ti knife with custom scales, I want to experiment what it's like to have a knife made for Ti !

@Kevinim82 : Well, if you play it like that... Turning it into an health matter is a low blow :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:29 am
My goal is to keep it, my wish I mean !

I wanted to own at least one titanium folder from Spyderco, and this one had the best mix of price and interest for me.
I don't want to make my own Ti knife with custom scales, I want to experiment what it's like to have a knife made for Ti !

@Kevinim82 : Well, if you play it like that... Turning it into an health matter is a low blow :rofl
Owning Spyderco’s is always a health conscious choice. Some people chew food and resort to dentures later in life, some choose to dice food into bite sized bits… and if a Spyderco is involved, they are smiling too with mostly a full set of teeth! Unless you know of any hockey players who like Spyderco (they are the exception to this statement.)

MNOSD 0009
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I received the new one.
The lock rock is worst in terms of vertical movement, however this time it seems that this is just a matter of lock engagement.
The lockbar seems to lack the tension to go up enough to perfectly lock the blade. If I flick it really hard, it can achieve a nice lock-up.

I wonder if a titanium lockbar can be adjusted just as a steel lockbar ? That I can do.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:17 pm
I wonder if a titanium lockbar can be adjusted just as a steel lockbar ? That I can do.
https://youtu.be/W2FSxvQID7w&ab_channel=Freddy_theKnifeGuy
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:17 pm
I received the new one.
The lock rock is worst in terms of vertical movement, however this time it seems that this is just a matter of lock engagement.
The lockbar seems to lack the tension to go up enough to perfectly lock the blade. If I flick it really hard, it can achieve a nice lock-up.

Further lock engagement just means that the lock bar is flexing away from the frame. Mine seems to have the same amount of lock rock regardless of where the lock is engaged.

I recently made a video explaining the reasons why these knives have lock movement.

https://youtu.be/s5d-Nrmsxo4
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

FWIW, my Chef has less lock rock than my Sebenza 31 PJ does with its ceramic lock interface. Both have more than either the Techno 1 or Techno 2, which have no detectable lock rock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks @Gsg9.

Thanks bgcameron, I found this video a week ago ! Just saw that you even answered to me (didn't get a notification though).
I know the design lends itself to such a situation, but was really into the design. I did a lot of research and the last CQIs seemed to have worked the thing out for most people.
I think that, even if some report theirs is rock solid, all of the SpydieChefs do present approximatively the same lock-up.
I really wanted a Ti Spyderco (from factory, not messed with), and the Techno 2 is OOS at my dealer.

I think I'm gonna give the Chef some time to shine. The lock rock is only apparent when pushing down on the spine, nobody does that much while cutting food. As long as the lock is safe and the lock rock doesn't aggravate, I'm ok with it (again, I really like the design, otherwise it'll go back like the 1st one :') )

@JRinFL : Well that does it for my Sebenza dreams ! I'll keep it as a near perfect knife in my mind ^^

bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

I think you will be happy with a Techno 2. It has bank vault lockup similar to a Sebenza 21.

I love my Spydiechef regardless of the lock issue. It does not present itself in regular use. That said- i would love to see Spyderco address this in a further CQI. Change up the slanted angle of the lock interface to something closer to 90 degrees. Fattening up the lock bar itself would probably require a redesigned clip.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:07 pm

@JRinFL : Well that does it for my Sebenza dreams ! I'll keep it as a near perfect knife in my mind ^^
If you need zero lock movement, the Sebenza 21 is the one you want. However, the 31 has an overall stronger lock.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bgcameron wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:41 pm
I think you will be happy with a Techno 2. It has bank vault lockup similar to a Sebenza 21.
Agreed. The Techno 2 is very satisfying.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Lock bar engagement on my Chef looks almost exactly like the pictures in the OP. Its definitely a later lockup than many frame locks.. I'd say it engages between 65-75% normally and I can force it to about 95% with some pressure. It's been this way since I got it three years ago and has shown no signs of creeping closer to the scale (unless I force it there) with use during this time. Lock-up is solid on my knife. I can force barely perceptible up and down blade movement with what I'd consider greater than reasonable force applied to the blade spine, but I attribute this to lock bar flex vs "lock rock." Any frame lock is going to be susceptible to lock bar flex with the application of enough pressure on the blade spine, even the venerable Sebenza. Things like lock bar engagement and how much flex is acceptable wander pretty quickly into the subjective.. imo, the most important function of the lock is to keep an open knife from closing me in use and I feel confident that my Chef's lock is objectively safe.

I don't know if any of that was "helpful" per se.. just a report on one man's SpydieChef I guess.. best luck getting yours sorted out!

:zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Interesting, this is something I've never thought to check. I guess if it's never disengaged on me, I haven't had reason to think about it. I watched the video, I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to be looking at haha! I guess I don't inspect my knives very closely :thinking
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I totally disassembled mine, lubed the parts needing some lube, made the lockbar pression just a tad bit higher.
Now it locks correctly, I can feel some lock rock but way way less.
The lock engagement is near 80% but I don't mind since this shouldn't move more for years.

And if anything happens, I trust Spyderco to help me make it good again ^^

(Forgot to take disassembly pics, I was extremely focus on not letting one thing, screw included, get scratched by inadvertance)

Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:48 am
I totally disassembled mine, lubed the parts needing some lube, made the lockbar pression just a tad bit higher.
Now it locks correctly, I can feel some lock rock but way way less.
The lock engagement is near 80% but I don't mind since this shouldn't move more for years.

And if anything happens, I trust Spyderco to help me make it good again ^^

(Forgot to take disassembly pics, I was extremely focus on not letting one thing, screw included, get scratched by inadvertance)
I noted mine had a lot of blue loctite… easily removed with a blow dryer. Hope you had the same issue.

MNOSD 0009
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Not much loctite, the "right amount" i'd say.
This is a weird experience. I guess I'm just used an awful lot to see rock solid lock-ups on Spydercos.
I know all framelocks aren't the same, but since it isn't my favorite lock anyway, it does indicate that I'll certainly keep to linerlocks and compression locks for detent based folders from now on.

Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:20 pm
Not much loctite, the "right amount" i'd say.
This is a weird experience. I guess I'm just used an awful lot to see rock solid lock-ups on Spydercos.
I know all framelocks aren't the same, but since it isn't my favorite lock anyway, it does indicate that I'll certainly keep to linerlocks and compression locks for detent based folders from now on.
I will agree with you this frame lock design is different. Something drew me to this knife, I think it is the odd odd shape. It does a lot of things ok. It’s also a modified pairing knife in LC200N… so use it in a dumpster fire and don’t worry about harming the knife. I plan to carry it exclusively for a month or two and I’ll report back my experience. Hope you are enjoying your Chef.

MNOSD 0009
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

After about 30 to 50 openings, I'm starting to have lock stick. This happens when the lockbar travels a bit further when the lock-up happens. I open it slowly but it's still not helping, 1 time out of 5 it sticks pretty hard.

I don't know if K&T are ok with me sending back 2 SC and buying another one, I don't even know if I wanna keep shooting my shot on this one ^^

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

This has lock stick because Spyderco feels that it doesn't need a steel insert, basically a cost reduction, while you get steel inserts on much cheaper knives from the competition.

And the lock interface is probably not heat treated - again cost reduction - for example I don't have lock stick on Slysz-Bowie but that was in a completely different price range when it was released,

My Chef is version one from few years back, has some lock stick but is not something dramatic that you gonna need two hands to unlock it and if I try really hard I can feel some up and down movement probably lockbar flex.

Maybe after all these CQIs is the quality that is going down

But otherwise mine is OK and I don't feel these when using it for its intended purpose - food prep

And not thinking about these definitely helps ;) , I guess you didn't buy the knife to open and close it a gazillion times observing its lock issues and being concerned about the lifetime/durability of the lock.

If you can't live with these maybe you should try to get your money back and that's it

Try a Sebenza 21, after all these MAP and MSRP increases now they don't even look that expensive compared to a Spyderco