Re-Sprinting the Super Blue Caly 3/3.5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cesma

Re: Re-Sprinting the Super Blue Caly 3/3.5?

Post by cesma »

I'd like the idea of the post title but i think caly line need some upgrade, for example bronze washer or not pinned but screwed handle.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

i have a caly 3.5 sb sprint and i really love the aesthetics and the look but somehow it’s my least carried spyderco - no idea why but if i fell like carrying a bigger blade i always reach for one of my militaries or the lionspy even the endura gets slightly more pocket time.

maybe i’ve to just carry it more often
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the 3.5 a lot and would love to see more variations come out.

I would love to see a green/HAP40 sprint as well as a CF/SS/Damascus sprint. I would obviously welcome an FRN model, especially in fun steels. A Golden made frn Caly3.5 in Cruwear or M4 would be impossible to resist.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

cesma wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:20 am
I'd like the idea of the post title but i think caly line need some upgrade, for example bronze washer or not pinned but screwed handle.
Agreed. I like the ideal of having construction like the UKPK but with liner less G10 scales. Like a hybrid between the Lil Native and UKPK. I love the recessed domed hardware.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
MrSuperBlue

Post by MrSuperBlue »

The caly 3/3.5 will likely never be done again due to being sprint runs.

BUT a solid Super Blue FRN CALY 3/3.5 run would be nice!!!

I love me some Super Blue if you couldn't tell ;)
How about a Caly 3.5 damascus?!

So what's the next Super Blue model coming? ;)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum MrSB,
SB is right at the top for me, have the entire run with a few dupes, I'd like to see it used in an all together different design, perhaps someday.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Maybe a reoccurring flash batch sprint every so often?
The pricing on the secondary market is nuts when they're available, and I know there's a lot sitting in safes somewhere
FRN would be jussst fine
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

So much want...
shaztecs_knives on instagram
MrSuperBlue

Post by MrSuperBlue »

farnorthdan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 pm
Welcome to the forum MrSB,
SB is right at the top for me, have the entire run with a few dupes, I'd like to see it used in an all together different design, perhaps someday.
Appreciate the welcome farnorthdan!
We can dream about new super blue models. :)
At least we get one this year with the calypso jr super blue debuting soon!

MrSuperBlue

Post by MrSuperBlue »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 pm
Maybe a reoccurring flash batch sprint every so often?
The pricing on the secondary market is nuts when they're available, and I know there's a lot sitting in safes somewhere
FRN would be jussst fine
It would defeat the purpose of "sprints".
A one time run isn't a sprint if another batch is produced.
I had to pay a premium for every super blue model due to missing all the original release dates and finding I loved it after they had all sold out. Lol

Solid super blue frn caly 3/3.5 would be sweet! Cheers!

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Right - which is why we should have a separate model that gets re relased every so often, no? The secondary prices have gotten so high vs what they went for new, and it discourages users. The caly wasn't sustainable as a regular model, but has enough fan base that I think a once every two or three year batch would do well
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Please spyderco, bring back the Caly 3.5 model. kept in a variety of g10 handle material, and new blade steel runs
:bug-red-white
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Theres nothing i’ve failed more at in life than procuring a superblue caly 3.5. Everytime one rears its head up on ebay like a meercat the shipper doesnt ship to Canada. Please do another superblue sprint with the 3.5, i would eat octagons for that to happen.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tristan_David, Cheddarnut.

I'm carrying the first production Caly 3.5 in quite a while. The maker seems to have overcome their very difficult challenges and is producing again. We'll hid-n-watch and hope fr the future.

sal
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Here's to hoping it goes well. The Caly series is one of the best.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Tristan_david2001

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:38 am
Hi Tristan_David, Cheddarnut.

I'm carrying the first production Caly 3.5 in quite a while. The maker seems to have overcome their very difficult challenges and is producing again. We'll hid-n-watch and hope fr the future.

sal
That’s sounds good Sal, greatly appreciate your updates on this one, I almost wanna call you lucky, but it’s your design . I bet it’s being a joy to carry
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z1r

Post by z1r »

That's great news because it is such a gem. Had I found the Caly 3.5 before I got my Endela, it would probably be my EDC instead. Blade length the same but just feels a little sleeker.

Because the Caly is "prettier", I like to carry it more after hours.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Would love to see any Caly 3.5 being produced. LW, Super Blue, SRS13 or HAP-40…unquestionably one of my all-time favorite designs.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Tristan_david2001

Most Perfect pocket knife achieved by spyderco is the superblue Caly 3.5 for me. Sal it would be really cool of you to bring this wonderful revelation in folding knives back into another production run.
As a side personal note: I really don’t like frn. and it’s really not about the material, more that it is in the way it’s texture molded, for me it looks too “sporty”. the abrasions are just overkill and fairly sharp, combining that with doing it in plastic, it just makes the handle look cheapy. Even though it technically is not. I just prefer a more traditional matte looking finish on the handle. I’d really love to see spyderco explore with modifying their textured g10 to be a like a grippier version of the same tightly checkered look. Perhaps even see them make a new type of composite molding material for handle scale making. Point is I think Sal has made such a refined and perfected folding locking knife design. I think instead of just turning it into another cheaper cost frn model, it’s handle scales it should be done with a little more traditional class and high performance refinement -Much like the Caly 3.5 is as a design.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I would buy.