Smooth jimping vs "hard jimping"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Smooth jimping vs "hard jimping"

Post by Xformer »

The Tenacious lightweight features "smooth" jimping on the ramp, while the PM2 features a very "harsh" jimping. It's grippier, but it also kind of hurt the thumb a little, while the Tenacious is the opposite.

Would you say you prefer one over the other, and why ? Is there a Spyderco knife that has the perfect balance between hard and smooth jimping ?
JRinFL

Re: Smooth jimping vs "hard jimping"

Post by JRinFL »

I’m really a fan of the jimping on the original Native. I think it’s referred to as Dino jimping.

Close up of a Knifecenter picture as an example.
690676E0-CFE3-49E4-BDBF-1E4D88A1608B.jpeg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:54 pm
I’m really a fan of the jimping on the original Native. I think it’s referred to as Dino jimping.

Always thought this was Dino jimping?
1DE4213F-100F-42F5-9CA7-0D3FC2806C59.jpeg
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

benben wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:08 pm
JRinFL wrote:

Always thought this was Dino jimping?1DE4213F-100F-42F5-9CA7-0D3FC2806C59.jpeg
Yeah, you are correct. I guess I don’t know what the Native jimping is called. ❓❓
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

JRinFL wrote:

I refer to the squared-off style of jimping as ‘battlement jimping.”

Jim
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:37 pm
JRinFL wrote:

I refer to the squared-off style of jimping as ‘battlement jimping.”

Jim
Smooth jimping vs hard jimping vs crenellations.
Tonnor01531

Post by Tonnor01531 »

I've yet to experience the importance of having aggressive jimpings on blades as I mostly pinch grip my knife. But the saw like jimping on PM2 is hurting my index finger when pinch griping at the front finger choil. The jimping on the Sage series is a happy medium for me
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I think the jimping is functionally pointless either way.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

It’s point is to make it hard to get the knife out of your pocket.

And to destroy said pocket.

Some jimping is okay, but it’s gotten out of hand imo.

This is coming from someone from the olden times when there was Zero jimping.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, I'd prefer no jimping at all. Jimping can trap moisture, which sometimes causes some corrosion in the crevices between the "teeth," even when the rest of the blade remains corrosion-free.

Jim
Danke

Post by Danke »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:43 pm
Personally, I'd prefer no jimping at all. Jimping can trap moisture, which sometimes causes some corrosion in the crevices between the "teeth," even when the rest of the blade remains corrosion-free.

Jim
I look at that as a positive. It's a sign to have a look at what's going on at the pivot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:

I also strongly prefer this style. It's just cool looking. It's also only as grippy as you make it, just push harder and it grips harder.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Jim
Yep, I remember lots of complaining about the lack of jimping on the Lil’ Native, I actually like mine without the jimping! No problem at all locking that little fella in your hand!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Functionally, I prefer the modern fine-toothed style of jimping as implemented on Golden models. Aesthetically, I like dino jimping, probably because it's unusual. The old style square-toothed jimping looks pretty cool too. I have many examples of all three styles.

I consider it a design oversight when current models lack functional jimping at the thumb placement and forward choil (like the Lil' Native). I also think that knives which are covered in handle jimping have a design defect (like the Manix 2/XL). Knives that do it properly are current versions of the Millie, PM2, Native/Chief, etc. I collect many more iterations of models with proper jimping than those with excessive or absent jimping.

I dislike knives which have decorative jimping, as it tends to reduce traction instead of increase it. Spyderco doesn't really do any decorative jimping, but the scalloping on the Shaman lock release is (non)functionally similar. Compare that to the excellent and highly effective fine-toothed jimping on the Millie lock release.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like jimping on my knives.
I like aggressive jimping.
So whatever the pm2 has is pretty much perfect.

My problem with a lot of less aggressive jimping styles is that they suck. If the jimping isnt going to work well then why put it on?

Toughen up those fingers.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I may be the only one that feels this way, but I discovered with the Rock Jumper that I prefer jimping on models with a thumb ramp. It seems counterintuitive, but with a straight spine I do not miss the jimping. The Kapara and Watu I tend to push my thumb down and I just do not miss it. On the Rock Jumper with the large ramp, I push towards the ramp and it feels as if my finger wants to slip.

I wasn't aware of Spyderco when the jimping was different than what is currently offered. I will say I like that it is not an aesthetic feature. As in it is so small, it really is not showy. I like that is small and sharp. It really is great for actual use and not show.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Accutron wrote: Functionally, I prefer the modern fine-toothed style of jimping as implemented on Golden models. Aesthetically, I like dino jimping, probably because it's unusual. The old style square-toothed jimping looks pretty cool too. I have many examples of all three styles.

I consider it a design oversight when current models lack functional jimping at the thumb placement and forward choil (like the Lil' Native). I also think that knives which are covered in handle jimping have a design defect (like the Manix 2/XL). Knives that do it properly are current versions of the Millie, PM2, Native/Chief, etc. I collect many more iterations of models with proper jimping than those with excessive or absent jimping.

I dislike knives which have decorative jimping, as it tends to reduce traction instead of increase it. Spyderco doesn't really do any decorative jimping, but the scalloping on the Shaman lock release is (non)functionally similar. Compare that to the excellent and highly effective fine-toothed jimping on the Millie lock release.
I personally disagree that not including jimping is a design “oversight.” That’s purely a personal preference thing. Specifically on the Lil Native, after years of carrying it, I much prefer it without jimping.

———
JSumm wrote: I may be the only one that feels this way, but I discovered with the Rock Jumper that I prefer jimping on models with a thumb ramp. It seems counterintuitive, but with a straight spine I do not miss the jimping. The Kapara and Watu I tend to push my thumb down and I just do not miss it. On the Rock Jumper with the large ramp, I push towards the ramp and it feels as if my finger wants to slip.

I wasn't aware of Spyderco when the jimping was different than what is currently offered. I will say I like that it is not an aesthetic feature. As in it is so small, it really is not showy. I like that is small and sharp. It really is great for actual use and not show.
When I first held a Rockjumper, the first thing I noticed was the lack of jimping and I was sold! That knife feels so good to me without jimping. To each their own though. That’s the beauty of Spyderco offering so many different knives.

———

To me, Dino jimping looks like the most ineffective way of “jimping” something. It actually looks like it doesn’t even increase traction when used. Spyderco preferring function over fashion probably made the right decision by getting rid of that style jimping.

For quick cuts jimping is okay but in my experience, jimping is the quickest way to cause a hotspot during extended use. I understand not everyone uses their knives for extended periods of time but when I do, I prefer to use a knife without jimping.
-Nick :bug-red