First time buyer… which model would you choose?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albertaboyscott

Re: First time buyer… which model would you choose?

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome! Go for a para military2 in s45v. Worth every penny. Light, great steel, very good slicer etc. Highly doubt you would regret it. Its widely considered one of the best folding knives ever made. Good luck in choosing!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I too would go Delica. It’s a bit pedestrian compared to the other offerings but efficient, lightweight, comfortable, legal in most places. It’s just a dang good knife.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Dragonfly, Delica, Para 3, PM2 or Caribbean in ascending price and blade size are all great knives.
So many options available in steel types, scale material, lock styles.
Spyderco has our back
z1r

Post by z1r »

Blerv wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:41 pm
I too would go Delica. It’s a bit pedestrian compared to the other offerings but efficient, lightweight, comfortable, legal in most places. It’s just a dang good knife.
While I don't personally like the Delica, I too would suggest having a look. In fact, I'd recommend trying to find somewhere that has some Spydercos on hand so you can try them out. Some will just naturally feel better to you than others.
Godzilla68

Post by Godzilla68 »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:34 pm
Welcome! Go for a para military2 in s45v. Worth every penny. Light, great steel, very good slicer etc. Highly doubt you would regret it. Its widely considered one of the best folding knives ever made. Good luck in choosing!
I've got to go with my Alberta brother here. If you're going to own one, I'd say para2, and in cruwear if possible
PM2 Crucarta
Chaparral CF
Gayle Bradley Bowie
Manix 2 M390
Native Chief Rex45
Caly 3.5
Delica ZDP189
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:00 am
Delica or a Native are both great suggestions already posted that will give you years of use at an affordable prices . A Salt is another great option depending on use and your environment. Welcome to the Forum and let us know your choice . MG2
Yeah I'll agree with ManixGuy that either the Native or the Delica both would be great for a first time EDC (every day carry).

I've owned several of both. Personally I prefer the GOLDEN, CO USA made NATIVE over the Delica but that's just my personal preference. But the USA Native is a really well built folder that can endure some really mean punishment. Also I tend to like the blade steel selection you have with the NATIVE as well.

But truthfully for your first time around you really can't go wrong with either model. Oh!! one other thing I might add. Try to get which ever model you choose in both edge types if you can swing it ( SE & PE). It would be great for you to experience one of Spyderco's fully serrated blades first hand.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:49 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:00 am
Delica or a Native are both great suggestions already posted that will give you years of use at an affordable prices . A Salt is another great option depending on use and your environment. Welcome to the Forum and let us know your choice . MG2
Yeah I'll agree with ManixGuy that either the Native or the Delica both would be great for a first time EDC (every day carry).

I've owned several of both. Personally I prefer the GOLDEN, CO USA made NATIVE over the Delica but that's just my personal preference. But the USA Native is a really well built folder that can endure some really mean punishment. Also I tend to like the blade steel selection you have with the NATIVE as well.

But truthfully for your first time around you really can't go wrong with either model. Oh!! one other thing I might add. Try to get which ever model you choose in both edge types if you can swing it ( SE & PE). It would be great for you to experience one of Spyderco's fully serrated blades first hand.
Good points JD . SE is usually my next step recommendation if they interested buying another knife . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'd suggest a Delica. It is still my hands down favorite in the size range from any manufacturer. It does so many things right.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Your tastes seem to run to the larger and more tactical, so I'd recommend a military, yojumbo or canis. If you want a long lightweight blade in an exceptional steel while still slicing well, the frn police k390 is a great choice as well.

I just recommended 1/2 of the larger knives in the catalog and realized I didn't mention my favorite of the ~4in bladed knives: the native chief. Long blade, thick enough to be sturdy, thin enough to slice well and with a fine, pointy tip. The ergos are great and it pockets extremely well for a larger knife.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd avoid YouTubers telling you what to get. Delica is a great option. Para 3 is also great if you want to spend more. If you want lightweight but a high quality feel and US made, I'd go Native 5. My first was the PM2 but if I could go back in time, it would have been a Native 5 lightweight (all black). Probably would have bought less knives. Also, if you're interested in serrations, I strongly suggest the Native 5 serrated. It is a yard work king.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Judging by what you already have in your collection, lack of carry restrictions, and a desire to really experience the best of Spyderco, may I humbly suggest the Police 4 Lightweight in K390. Pure slicing performance. It's not a prybar, nor screwdriver, but a pure cutting machine. Designed by sal the founder of Spyderco to indulge his own preferences in cutlery. If you want to experience what a high performance matter separator can do, look no further. If stainless steel is more your speed, it also comes in VG-10.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:41 pm
I'd avoid YouTubers telling you what to get. Delica is a great option. Para 3 is also great if you want to spend more. If you want lightweight but a high quality feel and US made, I'd go Native 5. My first was the PM2 but if I could go back in time, it would have been a Native 5 lightweight (all black). Probably would have bought less knives. Also, if you're interested in serrations, I strongly suggest the Native 5 serrated. It is a yard work king.
Great advice concerning the Youtube "KNOW IT ALL" crowd!! Yeah because there are a lot of Youtube video people that review Spyderco knives that I very much disagree with. And many of them have a financial incentive just to get you to buy something from them>> which may or may not be in your best interest.
Most of the guys and gals here on the Forum have already experienced anywhere from one to a dozen different Spyderco models already. I'll still stick to the two I recommended which are the Golden Colorado USA made NATIVE model or the Delica.
The only exception I would make for those two would be an older C-01 WORKER model if you can find one. The C-01 Worker is one of the handiest folders I've ever used over the years. And again try to check out both edge types ( PE & SE) if you can financially swing it.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Native series, really hard to not be a fan of a knife that has most of the Spyderco design esthetic. I find the finger ramp design is very hit or miss with non-knife people. Native chief if they want large or native 5 if they want 3".

Most people seem to focus on American made if they find out I'm a knife person. They seem to have a hard time with buying Taiwan and Japan Spyderco's till they become more familiar with the brand. I will admit I fall in this group with Spyderco china knives, I really need to just buy one to try. The biggest concern has been the stamp or the label, and perceived quality.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021