Thanx much!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Thanx much!

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Internet...

Where 12 year olds are FBI agents, and everybody is is an expert in everything... ;)
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

What did i miss....or who?
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:49 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:54 am
It was really nice to see us all band together, and despite the way over the line replies that (I suspect teenager) was throwing out constantly...NOBODY stooped to his level. I was pretty impressed by that. The vulgarity of that person was unbelievable, I've never seen anybody post like that around here before.

The castle is safe, and though it's not up to us...we stand guard for this forum when Sal and Co. aren't around! Thank you for eliminating the enemy.
yeah... i disagree. there were a handful of people that were far less than hospitable and made matters worse with their own comments. if we really wanted to do the right thing, we should've refrained from posting and just report the inappropriate comments for moderators' attention. i definitely wouldn't say no one stooped to his level.

even now with all the praise in this thread... seems a shame to praise shutting someone down and to compare him to feces or a stench that need to be discarded while claiming moral superiority. however vulgar his language or negative his attitude, he's still a human.

i'm not saying i don't understand the need to remove people at times, but there's a lot of this type of quieting of voices we don't like in our culture and it's not something to celebrate, even if it's necessary occasionally.

Yes, he is a human being. So are narcissists. I've dealt with a few narcissistic people in real life, and it doesn't get any prettier in person.

All of us must live with the results of our actions, both positive and negative. If someone comes into your house and is disrespectful of you, your family and your home, do they deserve the same level of respect and courtesy from you as respectful guests?

Whether we like it or not, each of our experiences in life are largely a reflection of ourselves. I can safely assume that his behavior has gotten him the same types of responses elsewhere in the past, and will continue on into the future, until or unless he takes notice of it at some point, grows up, and cares enough to make changes.

We're all on the path. The important thing is not to be perfect (which none of us are), but putting in the effort to become a better person.
And it does take effort; belive me, I know that much.

Jim
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

EDC is my distraction from the real world and the all too often terrible things that happen in it.

I greatly appreciate the fact that this forum is free of the drama and typical hot potato topics and instead focuses on something that brings us together, rather than tear us apart.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Thanks! I honestly didn’t notice anything at all but then again I try to stay positive on things so I tend to skip negative comments in general.

Everyone here is very friendly and the knives are all fantastic so there is nothing complain about in my opinion!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:48 pm
Tell me and we'll both know. :thinking

I guess there's one benefit to being out of the loop for a bit. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:02 pm
Jim Malone wrote:

User BlackScythe wanted to know if Spyderco's supply would be interrupted if China invaded Taiwan, then he was a jerk to everyone who responded. I didn't see the end of it...
So it goes.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:18 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:02 pm
Jim Malone wrote:

User BlackScythe wanted to know if Spyderco's supply would be interrupted if China invaded Taiwan, then he was a jerk to everyone who responded. I didn't see the end of it...
Oh. I remember seeing the thread but I only read the first couple posts.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
olywa

Post by olywa »

Humanity is learned and earned. Not all humans have it.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

olywa wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:43 pm
Humanity is learned and earned. Not all humans have it.
that is one of the worst things i've ever read. so not all humans have humanity? who decides which humans are worthy of humanity? what happens when someone decides it's you that hasn't earned humanity?

humans are humans and all of us are flawed and need grace sometimes. we shouldn't look past the plank in our own eye to point out the speck in someone else's.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:08 pm
that is one of the worst things i've ever read. so not all humans have humanity? who decides which humans are worthy of humanity? what happens when someone decides it's you that hasn't earned humanity?

humans are humans and all of us are flawed and need grace sometimes. we shouldn't look past the plank in our own eye to point out the speck in someone else's.
As the great George Orwell would say, some people are more human than others. For example, those who aren't serial killers. Or those who aren't serial fraudsters. Those who keep harming the rest of us might have a human-ish body, but their personality doesn't deserve to be called human. If you don't stick with your kin, there's no reason why you should be included in the community.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Araignee wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:01 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:08 pm

As the great George Orwell would say, some people are more human than others. For example, those who aren't serial killers. Or those who aren't serial fraudsters. Those who keep harming the rest of us might have a human-ish body, but their personality doesn't deserve to be called human. If you don't stick with your kin, there's no reason why you should be included in the community.
that's not what orwell said, nor is it anywhere near what he meant by what he did say.

now, again...
ladybug93 wrote: even now with all the praise in this thread... seems a shame to praise shutting someone down and to compare him to feces or a stench that need to be discarded while claiming moral superiority. however vulgar his language or negative his attitude, he's still a human.

i'm not saying i don't understand the need to remove people at times, but there's a lot of this type of quieting of voices we don't like in our culture and it's not something to celebrate, even if it's necessary occasionally.
i said i understand it's necessary sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's something to celebrate or that we should dehumanize a person because they used harsh language.

this thread is getting ridiculous.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This has turned weird... I'll put it bluntly, I think you have too much sympathy for that *******, that could care less about what anybody, including yourself had to say to him while he was around. Humanity and what not, whatever. Putin is apparently a human as well, and he also stormed into someone else's house with the intention of causing chaos. Totally different scale, but same difference. Screw that guy.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
standy99

Post by standy99 »

There are people that don’t play nice in all walks of life. Had one at the boat ramp only this weekend…..

He didn’t get the pull your head in hints, so he doesn’t get to play in our sand pit. :bug-red-white
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

A little food for thought. Look around here. Do you see any paid advertising? Neither do I. Know why? This isn't "the internet". This is Sal Glesser's living room, and we are his guests. As his guests, it is encumbent upon us to abide by his rules. Political and religious discussions are not welcome here since they lead only to discord.

The person in question walked into Sal's living room and laid a steamer on the carpet like an ill-mannered dog, and he did it more than once. Hardly the mark of a respectful guest. Preach your standards in your own living room, abide by Sal's here.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Please stop defending those who would stab you in the back the second they had the chance.

Everyone is born human, everyone is created equal. And yes some people dont have the same opportunities, but none of it changes the fact that you can either tow the line or pay the consequences. Society dictates what is acceptable, if you cant act acceptably then you get punished by society.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ladybug brings up a good reminder. I tell my kids when someone is treating them badly that a lot of times there may be a situation at home that is really bad or they may be going through something very difficult and feel the need to take that pain out on someone else. They don't know what else to do with it.

It is a good reminder to see other people on the other side of the computer that lash out as someone in pain.

And just like I tell my kids. Speak up if someone is hurting you or someone else. Don't let that happen. Just like for us, we can flag inappropriate comments and let the moderator decide. And we can speak up when someone goes too far. And there is a way to speak up that doesn't tear someone down. If I get to a point where I am tearing someone down, it's typically because I'm exhausted and done and I should have just walked away.

Ladybug, if I am wrong please correct me, but that is how I took your comments. As a good reminder on how we can handle ourselves when dealing with provocative comments.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I taught my children to be kind, sympathetic, compassionate, forgiving, thoughtful, and loving people.

I also taught them if they get punched, to punch back twice.

It takes a balance to make a polite society. ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/y2hZxgGMuS8

Jim
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Good riddence. For anyone who says that we shouldn't silence someone, yes, we should. This isn't a free space, it is Sal and Spyderco's, therefore we play by their rules. Ergo, dude got banned for being unruly and an instigator. Consequences of your actions.

Sure, dude is a human, but that doesn't mean he deserves any respect especially after he acted.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela