"The knife guy"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: "The knife guy"

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:06 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:07 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:19 am
I had sorta had that moniker at work . Christmas , birthdays , and anniversaries were usually when some would either come to my desk or stop me when I would be on the floor checking stock or investigating lost materials . Basic question would be I want to buy a nice knife and how much would one cost . I would usually ask the basics , does he collect or does he just need a good knife for every day carry . If their eyes started to glare over I knew I was giving them a information overload . ha ! Most of the time I would help them get one to make their life easier and of course 99.9 % of the time it was a Spyderco. Year before I retired I found a wrapped box when I came to work with a note . I opened the box to find a custom knife from a maker well known in central Illinois . The manager came out as I was reading her note . The note said “ FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OTHERS .” I guess you might say I was Bloked and speechless . MG2
Very nice story MG2, will you share a picture of this knife you were gifted? What was the most common Spyder you’d recommend?
My garage is considered the place to go when it comes to knives in town . As far as recommendations the Delica or Native for a first time user and if they like a larger knife the Endura . This is the Hinman knife , it has the old school look and performs in the field very well . Definitely not a lightweight. MG2
What a beautiful gift! Very nice.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Kevinim82 wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I had sorta had that moniker at work . Christmas , birthdays , and anniversaries were usually when some would either come to my desk or stop me when I would be on the floor checking stock or investigating lost materials . Basic question would be I want to buy a nice knife and how much would one cost . I would usually ask the basics , does he collect or does he just need a good knife for every day carry . If their eyes started to glare over I knew I was giving them a information overload . ha ! Most of the time I would help them get one to make their life easier and of course 99.9 % of the time it was a Spyderco. Year before I retired I found a wrapped box when I came to work with a note . I opened the box to find a custom knife from a maker well known in central Illinois . The manager came out as I was reading her note . The note said “ FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OTHERS .” I guess you might say I was Bloked and speechless . MG2
Very nice story MG2, will you share a picture of this knife you were gifted? What was the most common Spyder you’d recommend?
My garage is considered the place to go when it comes to knives in town . As far as recommendations the Delica or Native for a first time user and if they like a larger knife the Endura . This is the Hinman knife , it has the old school look and performs in the field very well . Definitely not a lightweight. MG2
Wow, beautiful! That was a knife thing of her to do.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Guilty. I really enjoy when someone asks what knife they should get. Playing matchmaker is very rewarding.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Been a "knife guy" since I started carrying a Buck 112 circa 1980.
My mom wanted to know why I "always had a knife" on me?
This was about the time I started to develop my EDC philosophy as well.
attila

Post by attila »

Yes, I’m amongst the guilty as well.

I’m trying to convert others, but it’s a slow process.

I’m just glad that we recently hired a guy who carries a Benchmade and another who has a Benchmade and a Microtech. They’re not Spydies, but these two appreciates quality knives as well. I’m still probably the only knife accumulator, though.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I recently mentioned being "the knife guy" at my job.

I was "the knife kid". From the time I was little I loved knives and the grown ups would even ask me to "sharpen" their hunting knives. I was terrible at it but they didn't do it hardly at all so it seemed better to them.

Now I'm the full blown knife guy and passing it on to another generation. Sharpening, steel education, affordable but well made pocket knives to handmade Japanese cutlery, I'm the one people come to. Lady at work told me this week she'd be bringing in her kitchen knives for me to sharpen again.

:smlling-eyes
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My family always asks to use my knives and I always say “where is the knife i got you?” And then they sheepishly go grab theirs to use.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

Definitely known as the knife guy in my circles. Last month my BIL brought his work knife over for me to sharpen. I put a nice hair popping fine edge on it with my DS2. Then I found out he’s not carrying it anymore. Come to find out he’s too nervous having such a sharp knife. Says he didn’t realize it would be “that” sharp and that I’m crazy for carrying knifes that sharp on me. I tried to explain the safety aspect of a sharp knife, but he says I’m just knife crazy.

Also my boss at work sent me a link to a top ten pocket knife list and jokingly wanted to know how many of each I had. Turned out only a couple, but we still laugh about it.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

olywa wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:08 am
Guilty
Ditto!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wish, but only my wife knows I’m the “knife guy”. And, after two serious cuts, I’m known as “Mr. Safety” since I’m always on about safety and yet the only one to get stitches. 🙄
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I get: "So, you're into knives, right?"
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Kevinim82 wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
You got the Hinman trophy! It’s what every football player wished the Heisman looked like! Thank you for sharing. That’s a very nice story.

So your telling me near the nice snowy shed of yours there are hundreds of deer with the knowledge of folding knives?!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve been called it once or twice too. (Okay, maybe three times :winking-tongue )
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:31 am
I wish, but only my wife knows I’m the “knife guy”. And, after two serious cuts, I’m known as “Mr. Safety” since I’m always on about safety and yet the only one to get stitches. 🙄
i feel you, bro. i cut myself at work once and didn't hear the end of it until i moved. i didn't need stitches, but some overzealous first aid on site left me with a huge, hot pink bandage that drew a lot of attention. it's fine. i can laugh at myself.
:rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Yeah, count me in too :cheap-sunglasses
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I must admit, I'm that guy.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

Ever since high school I was known as such among my friends and their friends. Because I always had a pocket knife around.

Now my 15 year old son is carrying on that tradition! All of his friends know he’s always packing a pocket knife (a Lava, or his current favorite, Manix 2). He also has taken up blacksmithing, being tutored by a couple guys from Forged in Fire. So now he’s not only “the knife guy” but also is known as “the kid who can make you a knife!”

:winking-tongue
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Yes, but also known as the "bourbon guy", "gun guy", and "car guy". Lots of expensive hobbies.😶
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The whole in-law clan knows I always have a knife. Some of them even say "cut it with your Spyderco", instead of just "cut it with your knife", which I think is pretty cool.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Yes of course, and "the sharpening guy", and other things too

u.w.