For those who post photos - Phone or "Real" camera?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

For those who post photos - Phone or "Real" camera?

Phone (simple)
61%
Phone (processed)
18%
Camera (simple)
7%
Camera (processed)
14%

Total votes: 44

Ankerson

Re: For those who post photos - Phone or "Real" camera?

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:44 pm
My phone is a landline, so no photo capability. My camera is a 10+ year old Nikon D60 DSLR, so it's no match for the cameras in today's phones. I crop, edit, and resize the resultant photos in Google Picasa.

The D60 isn't a bad camera at all, you can take great photos with it. Put some good glass on it and it may just surprise you. Even just a 50mm F1.8. I still have one myself, haven't looked at it in years though since I went away from the crop sensor DSLRs.

It is better than the cell phone cameras though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:27 pm
RustyIron wrote:
"Just a phone?"
"Real camera?"

Let's no forget that someone with an appreciation of the aesthetic quality of photographs will do nice work regardless of the tools available. Someone with no taste will take awful pictures, regardless of the cameras made available to him.

A camera is not unlike a paintbrush. Put any brush in the hands of Monet, and you'll end up with something that belongs in the Louvre. Put Monet's brush in the hands of the guy who did the exterior of my house, and you'll end up with drips on the sidewalk and spots on the windows.

For what it's worth, I use my iPhone X almost exclusively. I take a LOT of pictures. If I'm going to share any, I almost always do some kind of processing. Everything can be made better, and most of my shots are taken with the intention of processing them later. Most adjustments are made within Apple's Photos. Sometimes I'll need something in Pixelmator, but not usually. Although I've used Photoshop and Lightroom, I will NEVER again use ANY of Adobe's invasive software on ANY computer... EVER.

If you're having a problem with a particular photograph, maybe you could post it and ask people to be hypercritical. Everyone here is polite, so you might have a hard time getting anyone to respond. Here's a recent picture that I took, along with my own critique. This isn't the image I used, because there are too many flaws. I take multiple shots of almost everything, and had a better one. Film nowadays is cheap. Bits and bytes are almost free. Take a lot of shots.

The first problem with this shot is my shadow in the picture. That's totally amateur hour. So are the guys the the background. It's better to wait until the tourists wander off. The car in the lower left shouldn't be there. The shadow on the grass in the foreground detracts from the picture. The picture might have been improved if I had moved to the right, getting more of a "quarter view" of the car, and the car in the background would be more toward the right of the frame. The tent on the right detracts. The horizon is a little tilted. Maybe it could be straightened out without wrecking the angle of the car body. The sun is low, giving a lot of red.

All the problems with this image could be easily fixed. If you look at the flaws in each of your pictures, you'll be more aware of potential pitfalls the next time you're photographing something. By fixing one stylistic flaw at a time, you'll soon become Annie Leibovitz.

IMG_3126.jpeg
As far as phone cameras have come these days, they still don’t hold a candle to what a dslr can produce. That’s not to say phones can’t capture some great photos because they can and to an impressive level for what they are but their capability is innately limited in comparison to a dslr. The type of camera being used should not discourage anyone from taking photos though.

Using a dslr does not guarantee a good photo. Knowing how to use the camera comes before taking good photos. There are a lot of variables to it as well, so it’s not as cut and dried as just knowing how to use the camera.

When looking at photos for their artistic value, any camera can take a good one. Even something like a disposable camera can take a good photo. It is just often photographer dependent and in my own personal experience, sometimes luck dependent. :grin-squint

Absolutely.

Cell phone camera are still as good as they may be these days and they aren't bad are still point and shoot for the most part. The sensors and the glass are their weak points so they use software to make up the difference.

None can hold a candle to even a decent DSLR as far as what it is capable of.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Voted "phone, simple." I sometimes crop my pictures because every now and then they will post sideways if I do not.. I haven't really figured out why, but cropping an edge off seems to be the fix! I don't think that counts as "processed" haha. I haven't dabbled in any of the "filters" or anything like that. Sometimes a simple picture that shows the knife as it is is better than something "fancy" that distorts its dimensions, imo. Idk.. clearly, I'm not the most artistic member posting pictures on here haha!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I use whatever is handy, which is generally my phone camera (which captures at higher resolution than most of my "real" cameras anyway). Post processing, nope don't do that, in fact I get annoyed at my phone for trying to fix things for me. Neither talent nor skill are involved in any way. If I post a decent picture you can safely chalk it up to blind luck.
Last edited by yablanowitz on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:01 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:13 pm

how many of you just use your phone to take photos, and how many use a "real" camera (dSLR or whatever).
"Just a phone?"
"Real camera?"

Let's no forget that someone with an appreciation of the aesthetic quality of photographs will do nice work regardless of the tools available. Someone with no taste will take awful pictures, regardless of the cameras made available to him.

A camera is not unlike a paintbrush. Put any brush in the hands of Monet, and you'll end up with something that belongs in the Louvre. Put Monet's brush in the hands of the guy who did the exterior of my house, and you'll end up with drips on the sidewalk and spots on the windows.

For what it's worth, I use my iPhone X almost exclusively. I take a LOT of pictures. If I'm going to share any, I almost always do some kind of processing. Everything can be made better, and most of my shots are taken with the intention of processing them later. Most adjustments are made within Apple's Photos. Sometimes I'll need something in Pixelmator, but not usually. Although I've used Photoshop and Lightroom, I will NEVER again use ANY of Adobe's invasive software on ANY computer... EVER.

If you're having a problem with a particular photograph, maybe you could post it and ask people to be hypercritical. Everyone here is polite, so you might have a hard time getting anyone to respond. Here's a recent picture that I took, along with my own critique. This isn't the image I used, because there are too many flaws. I take multiple shots of almost everything, and had a better one. Film nowadays is cheap. Bits and bytes are almost free. Take a lot of shots.

The first problem with this shot is my shadow in the picture. That's totally amateur hour. So are the guys the the background. It's better to wait until the tourists wander off. The car in the lower left shouldn't be there. The shadow on the grass in the foreground detracts from the picture. The picture might have been improved if I had moved to the right, getting more of a "quarter view" of the car, and the car in the background would be more toward the right of the frame. The tent on the right detracts. The horizon is a little tilted. Maybe it could be straightened out without wrecking the angle of the car body. The sun is low, giving a lot of red.

All the problems with this image could be easily fixed. If you look at the flaws in each of your pictures, you'll be more aware of potential pitfalls the next time you're photographing something. By fixing one stylistic flaw at a time, you'll soon become Annie Leibovitz.

IMG_3126.jpeg
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, and I totally agree. The final product comes down to the skill of the artist, and the tools are just tools. In this case, I was just curious about the tools others are using here.

Honestly I see some photos on the forums that look like they were taken with a dSLR, so I wondered if that was the case; or are people getting results that good from their phones? This also got me curious about how much processing there was (if any). Rather than asking people in threads directly, I figured I'd make a thread (and poll) instead.

Now just in general on the subject...

I didn't think a camera could compete with a dSLR - just considering the physics of the lens and sensor. That said, phones are getting better and better, so never say never I guess.

I have a Canon 50D, which is 10+ years old, and it still takes great photos. And older camera that already takes great photos doesn't suddenly start taking bad photos just because something newer comes out.

That said, I don't take it out much generally; and I don't want to spend much time getting them on my computer, processing, then uploading & posting. Basically it's just for special occasions. So, I'm somewhat interested in learning how to get the best results from my phone to streamline the whole process.

But - I'm not trying to get into that in this thread really, I was just curious about what you are all using & doing.

@RevMike - I've been thinking about posting there. I just don't get a chance to get out into a nice setting very often; I see a lot of nice outdoor shots there. So, I'll just have to be more creative with what I have and where I am. Bloom where you're planted, as they say.

Thanks again!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Phone... Currently an S10. I usually take a couple shots quickly and crop/tweak the one I like better later using my phone before I post it. The only time I edit a knife photo using a computer anymore is usually for the annual submission requirements.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I use an iphone, most of the times I do a slight edition/fix with some app as lightroom or snapseed...
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Camera: Nikon D3200, Nikon D80 (camera-JPG).
Lens: Micro Nikkor AF-S 40mm f2.8G, Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8D.
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

iPhone 13 pro max… I’d say it’s a phone with a real camera
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PStone

Post by PStone »

I use an iPhoneX for all my pictures. I occasionally use the automatic editing tools on the phone, but that’s about it.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Camera with simple windows 7 starter/basic in computer editing, e.g. sharpen/contrast, lower highlights if glare if super bad, crop,

Same camera I carry on trail, Canon G9x Mk II. It's been through the ringer many times at this point

I don't have a smart phone, or even a phone that I could just post from

The whole have/take the camera, take the photo, go to the computer, remove the sd card and put it into the computer, let it load and crop/sharpen it if desired, log into Flickr and upload said photo, log into forum to post the photo - of which the Flickr link has to be edited to work, is why I don't post a ton of photos. One photo is around a ten minute process, ...

Not complaining in any way, just stating

u.w.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

A smartphone has a tiny lens combined with mighty software, specialized to present pictures in digital world ... in most cases on tiny displays. In my eyes a simple solution handy for a majority with quality standards not on the upper end. However, to each his own. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

When i care…seldom…DSLR with photoshop. Most of the time…iPhone.

I am old school and love fast primes. Eg, 85mm f/1.4, 250mm f/2.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Leeman1

Post by Leeman1 »

I shoot everything here with one of my Sony full frames, and off camera flash. Learning off camera flash has helped me in both my professional life and here.
I understand the argument for cell phone cameras, however in my opinion those sensors are not very efficient at gathering light, especially low light. Also a camera will shoot in RAW (ARW) format giving you the ability to manipulate photo beyond what a JPEG can ever dream of!
Always shoot RAW and learn lighting/ off camera flash!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Leeman1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:21 pm
I shoot everything here with one of my Sony full frames…

Sony mirrorless? I want one, i hear the are best for vintage lenses. Would love to get my screw Leica and Olympus OM lensesvback in use.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I picked phone simple as it is most common by far. Second would be camera simple. Not into a lot of Photoshopping.. Usually i adjust levels and crop, that's all.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Leeman1

Post by Leeman1 »

Bolster,
Yeah my current favorite is the A7iii, I also have the A7Rii (42 megapixel) and my OG A6000. The focus peaking is a game changer for manual lenses, every once in a while I use my dads old Petri 135mm f2.8, it’s fun! But still prefer the A7iii’s auto focus, it’s just so good!

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:24 pm
Leeman1 wrote:

Sony mirrorless? I want one, i hear the are best for vintage lenses. Would love to get my screw Leica and Olympus OM lensesvback in use.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Leeman1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:08 pm
...The focus peaking is a game changer for manual lenses, every once in a while I use my dads old Petri 135mm f2.8...

PM to you...thanks!
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

iPhone 12 mini for 99% of my photos
I use my Panasonic Lumix occasionally
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Leeman1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:08 pm
Bolster,
Yeah my current favorite is the A7iii, I also have the A7Rii (42 megapixel) and my OG A6000. The focus peaking is a game changer for manual lenses, every once in a while I use my dads old Petri 135mm f2.8, it’s fun! But still prefer the A7iii’s auto focus, it’s just so good!

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:24 pm
Leeman1 wrote:

My old Sony NEX 5n has focus peaking as well. While not full frame, it could be a much more affordable option than the A7 series if you are just looking to play around. There are a very wide range of E-mount adapters out there. I pretty much only use primes and the results with old lens can be really fun.
I do a lot of hiking and rarely bother carrying it around anymore, but they still take a great picture!