What knife do you carry clipless?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GTenn

What knife do you carry clipless?

Post by GTenn »

I dislike pocket clips. I wasn’t always of that mindset, but things change. The clips mangle pockets, catch on things, scratch things, etc. I also found most clips create hot spots for me when gripping the knife. However, I have been known to clip my PM2 inside my left boot.

I’m curious what Spyderco knives you carry after removing the clip. I know many of you carry Dragonflys that way. I know there’s at least one Delica from searching the forum.

What do you carry clipless? How do you carry it? Back pocket? 5th pocket? Lanyard? Pocket slip?
TazKristi

Re: What knife do you carry clipless?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, GTenn:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Not sure if the bugs count as an answer but I carry my manbug wharncliffe everyday. It doesn’t have a clip option
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I carry a dragonfly salt clip less to the beach. I usually use a lanyard and wear it like a bracelet. I do the same with the ladybug hawbill. If I pocket them I just leave the lanyard and bead hanging out so I can grab them.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i carry a ladybug hawkbill salt in my wallet and a squarehead in my pocket when i'm at work. neither of them have clips. i never remove my clips though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Never actually clip-LESS.

When mountaineering. or skitouring pants feature pockets with zippers, I quite often carry my Salt 2 or Chap un-clipped inside the closed pocket (mainly to avoid the risk of loosing the knife while I am active) - but I never actually remove the clip itself, and when I´ḿ then in a camp or bivouac I might clip the knife to the now (unzipped) open pocket again, for then I´ll reach for the folder more frequently.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have a lot of stuff in the bottoms of my front and back pockets and, because I don’t want to fight with it, my primary Spydie is stays clipped above it.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I had started that dragonfly thread about clipless carry, and I did experiment with for a couple days. What I realized pretty quickly, and one of the folks on the forum (James Y) helped me put words to, is that the clip, in addition to actually serving as a retention device, acts as a way to orient/grip the knife for quick one hand deployment. I added the clip back but still carry the fly bottom of pocket with it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It should go without saying that if the knife I’m carrying doesn’t have a clip, I’ll be carrying it clipless. :grin-squint Unless it’s a small enough knife to fit into the 5th pocket of my jeans, any knife I carry without a clip, I just slip into the bottom of my front left pocket.

There are a few knives that I like to remove clips before carrying though. The Dragonfly is the first one that comes to mind, I much prefer to carry that one without a clip.

I’ve taken the clips off of Delica’s as well and I was shocked by how much more comfortable it became in hand. For the most part, I still carry my Delicas with a clip but they are very comfortable knives without the clip.

One more that I just could not keep the clip on is the Pattadese. The scales are crowned and feel really great in hand without the clip. I actually found the clip on that knife to be overly uncomfortable and can’t think of a reason why I would ever put it back on.
-Nick :bug-red
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

My favorite Spyderco for EDC is my PM2. But, it has ruined many of my pants. After trying all my aftermarket clips and trying it clipless (too big) it continues to destroy. Everything I own with the wire clip seems golden. I'm thinking the aggressive surface of the g10 could also be a major factor.
I don't even carry my smallest knife, my Chap, clipless.
Tonnor01531

Post by Tonnor01531 »

The clip provides a griping point when operating the locking mechanism, so even if I don't use the clip for it's intended purpose, I keep it on the knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:10 am
I’ve taken the clips off of Delica’s as well and I was shocked by how much more comfortable it became in hand. For the most part, I still carry my Delicas with a clip but they are very comfortable knives without the clip.

I really have to try this!
Especially my Salt 2 (="linerless Delica") gets carried un-clipped in zippered pockets or even inside a pack anyway, so the clip is then not needed as such.
On the other hand: Those rather small knives, as great as they are, see less real us - or better: More occasional. short time use - than my larger Spydies, so ergos are less important to me on the former.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PineyBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:23 am
My favorite Spyderco for EDC is my PM2. But, it has ruined many of my pants. After trying all my aftermarket clips and trying it clipless (too big) it continues to destroy. Everything I own with the wire clip seems golden. I'm thinking the aggressive surface of the g10 could also be a major factor.
I don't even carry my smallest knife, my Chap, clipless.

In my use G10 definitely is more of a pocket destroyer than Spydercos FRN, where the clip lands on that smooth logo spot
So: I hope for you that we´ll finally see that PM2 LW: Probably FRN AND a wire clip (if it´s done along the lines of the Para 3 LW)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Most 3" and under I just drop in my pocket with my keys. Removing the clip makes them smaller in pocket and can make for better ergos. However, on some models the presence of the clip really helps with opening and closing the knife one handed, even if I don't use it.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I carried an early Worker clipless for about half the years I carried it, in the mid-90s. Since then, however, if the knife has a clip, I almost always use it. The exceptions are when I'm doing something active enough that there's a genuine possibility of losing the knife, or when I'm using the knife repeatedly, say, in gardening. It's sometimes easier to just put the knife in a pocket between uses rather than reclipping to heavy material like jeans or cargos.

At some point I'll probably try an unclipped Dragonfly.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Oh, one that I never carry clipped is my Catcherman. It just goes in a pack with the rest of my fishing gear.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have multiple Delicas. Two of them have their clips removed; these are my go-to’s when I want a light, thin, yet capable knife in my pocket.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Anything longer than a delica or native will sit diagonally in my pockets, so anything that size and smaller become my EDC. I left the clips on for a bit, but they bang into my phone screen and add thickness in the pocket (cell phone, wallet, urban in front right pocket, keys in the left) - not ideal but it works for now
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

A Squeak without the clip, small and super slim, perfect for the 5th pocket.
FK

Post by FK »

Many of my Spyderco knives are clipless.
A favorite method is in a Victorinox large nylon belt pouch for Endura sized knives. I also daily carry a Delica in the short Victorinox nylon belt pouch. The Military fits nicely in a Benchmade nylon pouch.
Have no need for "quick draw" and "power snap open" for knife deployment.

Regards,
FK