Getting out knife from dress pants

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrTerry

Getting out knife from dress pants

Post by DrTerry »

I have a problem with some pants where I can't get the knife to come out easily. The pants creating the problem are casual dress pants.

If I carry FRN, the knife will come out, but the scales kind of chews up the inside of the pocket. So i would rather not use an FRN model with casual dress pants.

If I carry G10 or even carbon fiber, I can't always get the knife out. The scales sometimes gets stuck to the pocket material, and I don't have enough traction on my thumb reaching in to stick on the knife when I pull.

Is there a solution for this?

I thought about getting a model with stainless handles like the Police. Maybe the slickness of the handle will glide out of the pocket easier. Or on a G10 or carbon fiber model, add a small piece of hockey tape to one side of the handle, that my thumb will touch when I reach inside. But that will probably mar the surface if i ever remove the tape. A third idea was add a paracord lanyard but then I'd have that hanging outside the pocket.

Anyway its not a huge problem but it bugs me.
sal

Re: Getting out knife from dress pants

Post by sal »

Hi DrTerry,

Welcome to our forum.

I loosen my clips by bending them. I know the clip is not as secure that way, but I need to be able to deploy my knife in an easy motion. I cant say that I've ever lost one that way. Of course if I'm in a rough and tumble situation, I'd modify.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double tap.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think you'd like stainless handles in dress pants, they weigh significantly more than FRN. I would look for something with smooth carbon fiber but it sounds like you may already have that too. I won't use deep carry clips on my work knives because I want that little bit of handle sticking out to grab onto, especially when I have gloves on. A fob tied to the end of the handle would give you more to grab onto but you'll also have that fob dangling off your hip all day which may also be annoying. There are some stick on gun grips that stick firm enough that you could cut a neat little circle of material and stick it to the end of the handle for your thumb to get traction on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I wear dress pants almost every day for work and I have stopped carrying a knife clipped to my pocket entirely. Instead I almost exclusively carry my HH S90V/G10 Urban that I polished smooth, removed the clip and carry in the bottom of my pocket. The only other knife I liked carrying clipped was my Kapara because of the smooth scales and wire clip, but TSA has it now and I haven’t replaced it yet.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Try waistband carry just forward of the point of the hip. Works quite well for me.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’d go no clip, just drop it in the pocket.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cjk

Post by cjk »

The Brouwer has a titanium side and a G-10 side. That configuration solves the problem well enough for me given that the titanium side is pretty smooth.

If you're wearing dress pants, you might carry a fancier knife if you have one. Anything with relatively smooth titanium clip side would work.

I have considered seeing if I can convince a maker of titanium scales to sell me single a RHTU clip side titanium scale for the Para 3 so I can mimic the Brouwer configuration.

I have also considered just sanding the clip side G-10 scale smooth on a Para 3.

However, I usually just carry one of my Brouwers or just put the knife in my pocket in this situation.
Last edited by cjk on Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m noticing a familiar writing style with this poster.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Carbon fiber Chaparral- light and a semi-smooth scale surface that doesn't grab like FRN teeth or G10.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This is one of the reasons I like the models with the wire clip a little better than models with the hourglass clip. On models that are too tight I'll bend the clip out a little like Sal does
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cjk

Post by cjk »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:22 am
Me or the original poster?
Skar

Post by Skar »

The kapara as mentioned is easy on the pants also wood scales are smoother and will do less damage.

I would carry iwb 4 or 1 o'clock, if I'm wearing dress pants or anything other than jeans.
Just doesn't go together right, nobody will notice you're carrying until you present your tool.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You should be able to sand the FRN (or G-10) and make it smoother, to alleviate this issue.
LetItBleed

Post by LetItBleed »

If it’s hanging up on your pocket, only a matter of time until your pant pocket show wear. Try a moon and sun chap or the birch chap. Small light and thin. Really good powerhouse of a knife in xhp that slices like a laser and has classy scales for dress pants. Has the wire clip (not my favorite) but keeps it inconspicuous.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

DrTerry wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:14 pm

If I carry G10 or even carbon fiber, I can't always get the knife out. The scales sometimes gets stuck to the pocket material, and I don't have enough traction on my thumb reaching in to stick on the knife when I pull.
?
I have carried plenty of smooth g10 and smooth cf (and pakkawood and stainless and titanium) etc and have not had this problem.

I think the issue might be with how you are trying to pull out the knife. Thumb on the scale, but what is your pointer finger doing? Is it just on the back of the handle or...

I pull up on the clip when drawing the knife. So thumb on the scale and pointer finger down in the "dip" of the clip. Sort of wrapped arpund that "dip" in between the middle and last knuckle. Gives me more leverage on the knife when pulling it out.

Also another reason why I like spydercos stock clips. They pretty much all allow you to do this.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
z1r

Post by z1r »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:11 am
I’d go no clip, just drop it in the pocket.
This is a good idea as is Sal's. Me, I carry my CF Chaparral. I find FRN, which I usually EDC, to be more likely to stick to my dressier pants. However, I don't have an issue with the CF. Hence, I refer to my CF Chap as my "dress knife!"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:25 am
zhyla wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:22 am
Me or the original poster?
They mean the OP. For some reason they think the OP is another user that was banned for a lack of communication skills. In reality, there’s nothing wrong with the original post and the concerns are unwarranted.

Fortunately, many members have already shared their knowledge with the OP. I will only be repeating much of what has already been said. I would recommend slightly bending the clip to relieve some of the tension.

To the original poster, one possibility might be that when you are retrieving the knife from your pocket you are pinching the clip and putting too much pressure on the clip, effectively pinching the pocket material between the clip and handle scale. A small fob or lanyard tied to the knife that you use to retrieve the knife could potentially help remedy this, or just simply grabbing the knife differently when retrieving it from your pocket.

I don’t think it is necessary to purchase a brand new knife just to solve this dilemma. Unless you want to of course and in that case go for it! ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Tonnor01531

Post by Tonnor01531 »

What I do to retrieve my knife out of my pocket is thumb goes inside the pocket rest on the scale, then wrap my index finger around the lip of the hourglass shaped pocket clip. Never had any issue removing my knife from the pocket even when I'm seated down.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

8FF56641-BA19-435B-ADC0-5CD85682B522_1_105_c.jpeg
The perfect answer to your problem: